Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barn find

Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    The big decider will be if the chamber and / or barrel bore is rusted beyond salvage.

Sounds like a good project though, esp as parts are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Yeah, so long as the barrel bore is OK, the rest can be sorted. Even if you need a new comp tube, just get a 26mm one off the bay pretty cheap..
    Yep. And agree with all the posts re having a go!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

depends how much you want to spend and is it worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    You can use a car battery charger and washing soda to make a derusting bath. It works well.
    This is a great, quick way to clear lots of rust in difficult places. You will need to monitor it every few hours. Check it out on Youtube, there are loads of vids on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Berber View Post
    This is a great, quick way to clear lots of rust in difficult places. You will need to monitor it every few hours. Check it out on Youtube, there are loads of vids on this.
    I'll see if I have a big enough container to try this.
    When I "found it" I could only see the rusty muzzle poking out from a pile of timber. He thought it was a hw77.
    I've just been to collect it and it's actually a Mk1 HW80 complete with open sights. She's rusty thought barrel is bunged by grain dust and spider webs. I'm hoping this may have preserved the bore.

Does anyone on here do parkeising? I guess that would be more "period" for the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    I'll see if I have a big enough container to try this.
    When I "found it" I could only see the rusty muzzle poking out from a pile of timber. He thought it was a hw77.
    I've just been to collect it and it's actually a Mk1 HW80 complete with open sights. She's rusty thought barrel is bunged by grain dust and spider webs. I'm hoping this may have preserved the bore.

Does anyone on here do parkeising? I guess that would be more "period" for the gun.
    She's home. I've taken a pic but don't know how to upload anymore. First impressions are the trigger looks filthy but pretty much usable. Action below the stock line is moderately rusty. The barrel is rough and rusty. I'm stripping and it's coming apart OK. Spring looks good. My big concern is the barrel. It's blocked by something (I think a build up of milled corn dust and critters that have lived in there)
    I can't tell yet if the rifling exists. Piston moves freely (with the exception of milled corn dust within)
    Removal of the cocking arm is proving tricky

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Have you got a Flickr or similar account, happy to guide you through sorting it as it is a bit confusing I will admit, basically you can't upload to the forum so what we need to do is imbed the image into a post.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Have you got a Flickr or similar account, happy to guide you through sorting it as it is a bit confusing I will admit, basically you can't upload to the forum so what we need to do is imbed the image into a post.
    I haven't, mate. But thank you for the offer

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    I haven't, mate. But thank you for the offer
    The more I look at this barrel, the more convinced I am is knackered. I've got the rifle totally in bits not but can't get the barrel unblocked. I'm also thinking that it's not worth the effort to keep trying at this stage as I can't see any visible evidence of rifling. Mainspring and internals in rather good order.

I now need to build an electrolysis bath.

Well currently Flickr is free if you want to give it a go, you can do it off of FB too but the pics seem to disappear after a bit so may need to repost if not got your answer in time.

Good luck with the bath build as even if it doesn't work out with this one it'll still be handy for projects down the line.

Well currently Flickr is free if you want to give it a go, you can do it off of FB too but the pics seem to disappear after a bit so may need to repost if not got your answer in time.

Good luck with the bath build as even if it doesn't work out with this one it'll still be handy for projects down the line.
    I'm not on FB mate. I avoid all the social media stuff as a rule.

Thats fair enough its definately not for everyone and it's not the friendliest to the hobby either as they've got a new AI algorithym that keeps killing innocent posts and banning people for things they've not done.
    Well anyway if you change your mind about Flickr or a similar hosting site just shout, photobucket is a lost cause now but the others seem fine for the time being, other alternative is if one of the experianced lads is happy to help you can just email them the photos to look over and give you an idea on savability, stuff like the barrel may be toast perhaps but you might find other parts can be salvaged and used with something else to make a good Rifle.

Thats fair enough its definately not for everyone and it's not the friendliest to the hobby either as they've got a new AI algorithym that keeps killing innocent posts and banning people for things they've not done.
    Well anyway if you change your mind about Flickr or a similar hosting site just shout, photobucket is a lost cause now but the others seem fine for the time being, other alternative is if one of the experianced lads is happy to help you can just email them the photos to look over and give you an idea on savability, stuff like the barrel may be toast perhaps but you might find other parts can be salvaged and used with something else to make a good Rifle.
    The rest of the rig looks salvageable if I'm honest, I just need to keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand barrel.

Despite me having had a few hw80s, I've never stripped a trigger. The cassette looks in good condition but full off crap. I'll strip and polish if it's easy enough.
    For info, I've stripped and fettled a few Mk1 rapid gamo units. Any harder to do than they are and it can't nelly

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    HW barrels for hw80/85/80/90/95 go for around £70-£80 secondhand, so just buy one It won't depreciate either !

Sounds like the rest of the gun should be fine
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Shed, perhaps you could have a look at the pics for AM if that'd work maybe? No good me looking as I'm still a novice, my restoration experiance is from other stuff.