Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Longevity, Oxidation and Accuracy

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Pellet Longevity, Oxidation and Accuracy

I do not know if modern pellets are sealed in an atmosphere which is oxygen free eg nitrogen flushed, or if the small amount of air their are sealed in is enough to cause oxidation. When they are opened they are subject to oxygen in the air and will oxidise to a certain point, the surface layer forming preventing further reaction at least in dry conditions.

I have some modern but several years old tins of pellet, they do not appear particularly oxidised but they are not nice and shiny like the tin of QYS I just bought.

How much, if at all, does oxidation affect accuracy of lead pellets?

If is IS an issue, then is it worth putting Napier oil or a similar oil in the tin and coating them to prevent it?

Does shooting oxidised pellets cause a different type of 'leading' of the bore, so should you clean the bore when changing to a different pellet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I do not know if modern pellets are sealed in an atmosphere which is oxygen free eg nitrogen flushed, or if the small amount of air their are sealed in is enough to cause oxidation. When they are opened they are subject to oxygen in the air and will oxidise to a certain point, the surface layer forming preventing further reaction at least in dry conditions.

I have some modern but several years old tins of pellet, they do not appear particularly oxidised but they are not nice and shiny like the tin of QYS I just bought.

If is IS an issue, then is it worth putting Napier oil or a similar oil in the tin and coating them to prevent it?

Does shooting oxidised pellets cause a different type of 'leading' of the bore, so should you clean the bore when changing to a different pellet?
    Funny enough I've been checking pellet stock and although most tins are still sealed I have a number of tins of pellets that have lost their shine, I do know from recent use that no accuracy problems have occurred but was wondering the same if I should lubricate them, Some recent AA field diabolo pellets I've used I paid £10 a tin for so these are a good few years old,

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

I’ve certainly noticed that card box Marksman will oxidise heavily and quite quickly, even if the box hasn’t been opened. However, a batch of 10 boxes, still in cellophane and about 10 years old that I broke into recently were fine. So to me it suggests atmospherics once the pack is opened is more of the issue, but some aging in a tin may well occur. Obviously a tin seals the oxygen in there (I really doubt they use inert gas) and it can’t ‘exchange’ in storage. However, manufacturers may also wash and apply a treatment more as standard these days to improve performance and coincidentally the keeping quality. I also have some tinned Marksman from a similar vintage and they are also fine- don’t think they’ve been treated. Opened a tin of .177 Eley Wasps bought in the mid-90s the other day and they were still as bright and shiny as the day they were made.

Never considered this an issue. As long as they are accurate I just use as they are. If any are grouping badly they are used for short range plinking where accuracy is t realy a problem. Slight oxygenation has so far never lost accuracy if a tin of pellets look rough with heavy oxygenation I auto put in the plinking pile.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I had a couple of opened tins of wasps sent to me from the US that were quite old for the Falcon, they werent shiny and odd one had oxidised a bit but they all still flew alright, they do seem to have been lubricated at some point but don't think it's recent, only thing I'd say is they were living in California which isn't as humid as here so that could have an effect on things.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.

If the tin is sealed I don't think it's a problem at all, once the tin is open they will start to oxidise because it's a natural reaction, but again provided the tin is in use I don't think it's worth worrying about.
    If it's a tin of test pellets that might sit in the cupboard for years & only come out to test a new barrel or new rifle then I'd treat them a bit differently & give them a light oil.

The only time I've had a real issue with Oxidization was when I left pellets in a leather pouch & they were covered in quite a thick white powder & not accurate.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

The only time I've had a real issue with Oxidization was when I left pellets in a leather pouch & they were covered in quite a thick white powder & not accurate.
    That sounds like the salts in the leather causing corrosion.

I'm not going to worry too much about this issue any more.

Leather can also absorb and hold moisture too (pretty much is how you keep it subtle and flexible) so that could have a knock on effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    I’ve certainly noticed that card box Marksman will oxidise heavily and quite quickly, even if the box hasn’t been opened. However, a batch of 10 boxes, still in cellophane and about 10 years old that I broke into recently were fine. So to me it suggests atmospherics once the pack is opened is more of the issue, but some aging in a tin may well occur. Obviously a tin seals the oxygen in there (I really doubt they use inert gas) and it can’t ‘exchange’ in storage. However, manufacturers may also wash and apply a treatment more as standard these days to improve performance and coincidentally the keeping quality. I also have some tinned Marksman from a similar vintage and they are also fine- don’t think they’ve been treated. Opened a tin of .177 Eley Wasps bought in the mid-90s the other day and they were still as bright and shiny as the day they were made.
    I think that's the card drying out & drawing any moisture from them or any lube on them, same as happened to mine in a leather pouch,
    those boxes still in cellophane would not dry out, so I'd cling film any you have left.

Can also get Tobacco tins in Bargin shops too that might help, just add a liner if theres any air gap and decant the box into it, I've been using mint tins for my clay ammo and seems so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Can also get Tobacco tins in Bargin shops too that might help, just add a liner if theres any air gap and decant the box into it, I've been using mint tins for my clay ammo and seems so far so good.
    I used to use Golden Virginia baccy tins as my plinking targets when I was a kid. My Dad was an enthusiastic pipe smoker and there was a constant supply. The lids would fly off nicely when hit square on.

I have just bought some Pellet-Pod plastic pellet boxes, I'll let you know how I get on ...

My Grandad was often to be found with a Golden Virginia tin in his pocket, I think he kept it once he gave up smoking but Grandmothers likely binned it by now, remember walking Regent in Yarmouth too as the shops used to do souvenier tins.
    Yeah I'd be intrested to hear how they do and if you want a Mint tin or you local bargins dont have tins and need me to look just shout.

My Grandad was often to be found with a Golden Virginia tin in his pocket, I think he kept it once he gave up smoking but Grandmothers likely binned it by now, remember walking Regent in Yarmouth too as the shops used to do souvenier tins.
    Yeah I'd be intrested to hear how they do and if you want a Mint tin or you local bargins dont have tins and need me to look just shout.
    That’s kind thank you. I didn’t know charity shops did them but I guess they’re a kind of retro novel item now. I used to carry my credit card and bank card in one of those little tins they sold cafe creme cheroots in .. stopped them getting snapped in the pocket.

Not Charity but theres always the chance as people do collect them but Bargin as in Poundland etc, still occasionally get a tin and lighter together in a pack with matching designs.
    I've used the mint tins for all sorts over the years including a fully functional stove, it'll run on a range of fuels and my Yugolsavian mess kits cooking pot rests nicely on the bolts that form the pot rest.

Not Charity but theres always the chance as people do collect them but Bargin as in Poundland etc, still occasionally get a tin and lighter together in a pack with matching designs.
    I've used the mint tins for all sorts over the years including a fully functional stove, it'll run on a range of fuels and my Yugolsavian mess kits cooking pot rests nicely on the bolts that form the pot rest.
    I like B&Ms Poundland and so on, I'll keep an eye out. Sometimes there's really useful stuff in them, like the thin plastic chopping boards that can make excellent sliders for furniture etc.