Thread: Cleaning Oxidised Pellets.

Cleaning Oxidised Pellets.

I have some boxes of Marksman .177 pellets in which the pellets have oxidised. I seem to remember reading somewhere that instead of using Napier pellet lube to clean them a cheaper options was to use Auto transmission fluid? Is this correct, and if I did clean them in the transmission would I need to "rinse" the pellets after to remove the transmission fluid? If I do need to rinse them, what would be the best stuff to rinse them with?
    Thanks.

Lead

White vinegar

I cleaned some with warm soapy water, then dried them and put few drops of pellet lube in the tin.
    White vinegar cleans lots of things.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Do they shoot worse if they oxidised ? Or is it more psychological ? Clean pellets do look a lot better.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Do they shoot worse if they oxidised ? Or is it more psychological ? Clean pellets do look a lot better.
    Certainly the Marksman ones seemingly can swell up, with them becoming noticeably tighter in the bore. I guess it depends on the degree of oxidation - going a bit dull is one thing, but obtaining a white bloom is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    I cleaned some with warm soapy water, then dried them and put few drops of pellet lube in the tin..
    It's not something I've ever done but this seems to be the accepted norm and what I would do if trying it. Some would say to put the pellets into a plastic sandwich bag, or similar, with a small amount of the lube (after washing and drying) and move them gently about in it to try and get nice, uniform coverage?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It's not something I've ever done but this seems to be the accepted norm and what I would do if trying it. Some would say to put the pellets into a plastic sandwich bag, or similar, with a small amount of the lube (after washing and drying) and move them gently about in it to try and get nice, uniform coverage?
    When I was doing the lead free pellet testing putting them in a plastic bag with some Napier oil and gently rolling the sealed bag over gave a good coating. According to the inter web this is the way to get accuracy from tin pellets and it worked .. at least in still air.

Never had an issue with dull/oxidized pellets, when they came in cardboard boxes in my youth they all looked like that and never caused a problem, I think it's only become a thing with the manufacturing lubricants staying on the pellets if they come in tins. Lead as a metal is self lubricating. However if it works for you , crack on! (I've tried all sorts of cleaning, lubing, sizing and weighing of pellets, just to see if there is a "miracle fix" in the search of repeatable accuracy)
    Cleaning and lubing had no benefit for me

g.l.w is offline The north west's very own Hilda Ogden.
    Using the method " Tony L" suggested at this very moment.....never failed me yet.
    Air Arms HFT 500.... Vortex Viper 2.5-10x32

use a large sieve, whack pellets in and squirt fairy lipsquid over them. Rustle them around gently and rinse under tap.
    Once dry (hair drier works) give them a squirt with either lube or bees wax polish.. takes me back to the 90s.
    VAYA CON DIOS