Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Barn find

Barrel

Run some brass cleaning rods down the bore a few times then check. I dare say it's had its day so a wanted ad maybe the best option. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Run some brass cleaning rods down the bore a few times then check. I dare say it's had its day so a wanted ad maybe the best option. Mach 1.5
    I agree. I've bent a cleaning rod trying to clear the blockage. I'm going to use the barrel as a lamb for de rust products and methods.

Barrel

How far does the cleaning rod go down the barrel? Mach 1.5

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    I dont have a bench grinder 😂
    Theres ways to improvise with more common house tools, keep condiering making a crude lathe myself but not got past the thinking stage yet, grinding wise you can use a dremel/rotary tool, you'll have more clean up maybe and need to be steady but it can be done.
    Failing that somone here may probably help if you send the parts to them.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.

How far does the cleaning rod go down the barrel? Mach 1.5
    Blockage is around 4in from breach and seems around 1in thick, judged by rod from muzzle. Ive cleaned no end of dust, con webs and milled grain from inside the rifle. I think some of it has settled down the spout, absorbed water and swollen/rusted into place. I'm between knocking a simple electrolysis bath up or going for phosphoric acid bath. Potentially, the phos-acid me dissolve the blockage too.

Hw80

Oh right..perseverance or a new barrel. If you need any other bits for an 80 give me a shout as i have a few but i dont have any barrels. Mach 1.5

Oh right..perseverance or a new barrel. If you need any other bits for an 80 give me a shout as i have a few but i dont have any barrels. Mach 1.5
    Appreciate that mate, thank you. I have a set of rusty open sights which I'm going to attempt a derust of. If they come up OK I may pass them on to someone.

I dont have a bench grinder 😂
    Hacksaw.

Tape off the barrel where you want it flush.

Set of files coarse to fine.

400 to 2000 grit wet sand to mirror finish.

Crown with brass screw and lapping compound.

1 1/2 to 2 hrs start to finish if you reeeealy take your time.

Looking at the breech and muzzle i wouldn't waste any more time on the barrel. Wait for a s/h one or if you want to make a nice custom you'll probably have to buy a new 20 cal. If the cylinder isn't pitted as bad as the barrel could make a mint custom gun. My favourite 80 started off life a a rough old thing but wasn't pitted as bad as your barrel. Got a Colin Molloy re blue and a custom stock now, looks mint.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Looking at the breech and muzzle i wouldn't waste any more time on the barrel. Wait for a s/h one or if you want to make a nice custom you'll probably have to buy a new 20 cal. If the cylinder isn't pitted as bad as the barrel could make a mint custom gun. My favourite 80 started off life a a rough old thing but wasn't pitted as bad as your barrel. Got a Colin Molloy re blue and a custom stock now, looks mint.
    I'm going to see if my request on wanted pages turns anything up first. I'm convinced the barrel is shagged

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I think it'll be alright to put in your Signiture too if you want as several of the lads have wanted bits in theirs, that way you'll get more reach as it'll hopefully jog someones memory and they'll have a cheap one in their spares for you.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    I think it'll be alright to put in your Signiture too if you want as several of the lads have wanted bits in theirs, that way you'll get more reach as it'll hopefully jog someones memory and they'll have a cheap one in their spares for you.
    Good idea mate, thank you

I'll see if I have a big enough container to try this.
    When I "found it" I could only see the rusty muzzle poking out from a pile of timber. He thought it was a hw77.
    I've just been to collect it and it's actually a Mk1 HW80 complete with open sights. She's rusty thought barrel is bunged by grain dust and spider webs. I'm hoping this may have preserved the bore.

Does anyone on here do parkeising? I guess that would be more "period" for the gun.
    Wash well in petroleum product, kerosene to remove as much oil/grease as possible.

Electrolysis is good, easy and works well.
    Also is soaking in a container of tea- take bags or spoons of the cheapest tea and make a brew that will fit the container(preferably with a lid) - soak for a week then check, re soak if required.

To clean the bore.
    Clean with wadding and or a brush.
    Depending on 0.177" or 0.22". Use a suitable size brass welding rod (non flux ); pein the end then hammer in from the breech end; repeat until no more gunk comes. The peined end will shape to the rifling and will not harm. Repeat the peining as needed.
    If the rifling is a little suspect, treat with graphite powder.
    Best of luck

I haven't, mate. But thank you for the offer
    This is easy and does not require signing up, unless you want to

https://postimages.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    well, it's not pretty...

I think that barrel is probably toast, but if the breach end cleans up fine, you can possibly chop a couple of (rusty) inches off the muzzle and save it... ?
    If the end rifling is naff after running a rifling rod through as described earlier, machine the rifling until clean BSA Meteor style. Then do the brass rod routine a few times more. A taper reamer might be worthwhile.