Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When was the last time that AA or HW brought out a new springer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I wonder what an airgun fully designed by AI would be like
    AI isn't magic... if you feed AI some human garbage input, you just get AI driven garbage output... like the meaningless descriptions on eblag these days... or half the responses on this thread...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    So I guess I’m just another fickle Mary in the land of boing.
    Each to their own
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    AI isn't magic... if you feed AI some human garbage input, you just get AI driven garbage output... like the meaningless descriptions on eblag these days... or half the responses on this thread...
    Excellent. I saw somewhere that AI is now using AI generated source material like some kind of ruminant and is producing homogeneous beige bilge. AI IS EATING ITS OWN POOH MAKE IT STOP! See my new thread to find out what I mean.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 26-05-2024 at 04:04 PM.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Most of the prompt ones work off of search engines, it looks at examples to create it's own, it's why some descend into a virtual madness becoming verbally abusive and sarcastic as it's what its learned when searching.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.

Smile

There has to be a discernible gain for extra cost and complexity. The Air Arms TX200SR is an interesting example. The action runs on bearings allowing the shooter to be isolated from the mild recoil cycle. The one I had for a while was a truly beautiful specimen with very dark perfect bluing and a lovely dark stock. It was more heavy than a normal full length TX, but not unwieldy. I tested it at Pete’s Airgun Farm in Essex where there’s 50 yards of still air and good lighting. It grouped really well. Then I bought Pete looknohands esrly ProSport .. and it grouped the same. While the SR would give better accuracy from a springer novice and probably edge the ProSport in the hands of an experienced boinger, outside of that windless range there would be no difference in performance. The SR had grommets and plastic or celluloid shims that need replacing, a trigger that flapped like a slack-jawed yokel and a couple of extra pounds weight. It just wasn’t worth it. The ProSport is easier to live with and just as accurate in real-world conditions as are the various TX standard models.

The Walther LGU and LGV conundrum is an interesting one. I tried an LGV and it was effortlessly accurate, really outstanding, without modification. The design is on the whole very thorough and clever. But it feels cheap. The clamshell trigger unit is just urgh. Quite why that offends and the Rekord’s stamped metal cage with its sharp edges and fiddly disassembly I could not tell you. It’s probably the same reason upper management prefer BMW and Mercedes to Lexus. The Lexus is the better vehicle practically but it’s not so ..

It’s a shame the LGV died a death but I’m a hypocrite because I never fancied one even though it would have saved me hours getting other more expensive rifles to shoot as well.

The Feinwerkbau Sporter .. too much bore and stroke for the U.K. not enough for the US. If they had kept the same dimensions as the old Sport I would have bought one, icky rearsight ears and all. But no way would I spend that amount of money on something that needs short stroking or sleeving to get right. And ambidextrous stocks? Pass me the sick bag.

A TX in beech runs around $780 in the US and shoots in the 14 to 15 fpe range, depending on the pellet. The New FWB Sport ultimately sold around the $700 mark and had/has very similar specs. No short stroking needed. A better fitting guide? Yes, but then I hear the same complaint from AA and HW owners too. Appearance and design are subjective - there were a few "yucks" aimed at the LGU/LGV, as well as the sh1tty trigger, and the ASP 20 didn't exactly have runway looks. I doubt that AA could produce a break barrel much cheaper than the TX today.

Rather than wishing the old guard companies were manufacturing something more to the cogniscenti liking, maybe we should be encouraging the likes of Norica or Cometa or even Precihole to come up with more exciting and original designs. Then we can complain about [I]their/I]pricing.

I Cried laughing at your AI thread!

Smile

There has to be a discernible gain for extra cost and complexity. The Air Arms TX200SR is an interesting example. The action runs on bearings allowing the shooter to be isolated from the mild recoil cycle. The one I had for a while was a truly beautiful specimen with very dark perfect bluing and a lovely dark stock. It was more heavy than a normal full length TX, but not unwieldy. I tested it at Pete’s Airgun Farm in Essex where there’s 50 yards of still air and good lighting. It grouped really well. Then I bought Pete looknohands esrly ProSport .. and it grouped the same. While the SR would give better accuracy from a springer novice and probably edge the ProSport in the hands of an experienced boinger, outside of that windless range there would be no difference in performance. The SR had grommets and plastic or celluloid shims that need replacing, a trigger that flapped like a slack-jawed yokel and a couple of extra pounds weight. It just wasn’t worth it. The ProSport is easier to live with and just as accurate in real-world conditions as are the various TX standard models.

The Walther LGU and LGV conundrum is an interesting one. I tried an LGV and it was effortlessly accurate, really outstanding, without modification. The design is on the whole very thorough and clever. But it feels cheap. The clamshell trigger unit is just urgh. Quite why that offends and the Rekord’s stamped metal cage with its sharp edges and fiddly disassembly I could not tell you. It’s probably the same reason upper management prefer BMW and Mercedes to Lexus. The Lexus is the better vehicle practically but it’s not so ..

It’s a shame the LGV died a death but I’m a hypocrite because I never fancied one even though it would have saved me hours getting other more expensive rifles to shoot as well.

The Feinwerkbau Sporter .. too much bore and stroke for the U.K. not enough for the US. If they had kept the same dimensions as the old Sport I would have bought one, icky rearsight ears and all. But no way would I spend that amount of money on something that needs short stroking or sleeving to get right. And ambidextrous stocks? Pass me the sick bag.

A TX in beech runs around $780 in the US and shoots in the 15 fps range, depending on the pellet. The New FWB Sport ultimately sold around the $700 mark and had/has very similar specs. No short stroking needed. A better fitting guide? Yes, but then I hear the same complaint from AA and HW owners too. Appearance and design are subjective - there were a few "yucks" aimed at the LGU/LGV, as well as the sh1tty trigger, and the ASP 20 didn't exactly have runway looks. I doubt that AA could produce a break barrel much cheaper than the TX today.

Rather than wishing the old guard companies were manufacturing something more to the cogniscenti liking, maybe we should be encouraging the likes of Norica or Cometa or even Precihole to come up with more exciting and original designs. Then we can complain about [I]their/I]pricing.

Cried laughing at your AI thread!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    The last "new" decent springer was the Walther LGU/LGV - and that was fitted with a nasty made-to-cost trigger.
    Just to clarify, in terms of the functional design of the trigger mechanism the LGU / LGV trigger is actually quite decent, it misses one small trick given the position of the second stage screw on the 'tuning trigger' blade which is too far from the trigger pivot and too close to the lower sear pivot to maximise its potential.

The biggest gripe about it is the mazak two piece housing, however, even this has steel reinforcing at certain key points and in reality is a static component that is unlikely to cause an issue unless constantly removed and frigged with.

The SR had..a trigger that flapped like a slack-jawed yokel
    Only in the un-cocked state, so I don't see what the actual problem is with that.

When the gun is cocked (assuming some f*ckwit owner hasn't buggered the settings up) the trigger is just fine and if anything feels more sensitive than a standard TX trigger as the divorced trigger blade acts to increase available leverage.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 29-05-2024 at 07:20 AM.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    The biggest gripe about it is the mazak two piece housing, however, even this has steel reinforcing at certain key points and in reality is a static component that is unlikely to cause an issue unless constantly removed and frigged with.
    Agreed, but us springer owners do like to do exactly that. This was the only reason I sold my LGV... it just "felt" cheap and nasty, and didn't give me long term confidence. The LGU had a different problem.. it offered nothing over the HW77/97 or TX...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    The LGU had a different problem.. it offered nothing over the HW77/97 or TX...
    I agree and would go further and say that the TX has at least 7 things that are better than the LGU I am surprised that Umarex sold any, still they soon flopped once the penny dropped