Thread: Importing From Germany

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Importing From Germany

Just curious, how difficult is it to purchase and import an airgun from Germany now the U.K. is outside the EU? There are still tasty items on eGun..

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Just curious, how difficult is it to purchase and import an airgun from Germany now the U.K. is outside the EU? There are still tasty items on eGun..
    I would be very careful and get agreement to export before you bid, Alistair.

Soon after Brexit I won a bargain rarity and the private seller tried and failed to find a courier, so I lost it.

A dealer friend wouldn't send an airgun because of the paperwork hassle.

The only success I've had in recent years was when a friend who works in Germany agreed to bring an airgun back to the UK in his car.

I've given up buying on eGun now.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I am personally aware of some instances of Border Force seizing and destroying air guns imported from Europe despite them being legal to posses in the UK. Anything suspicious being transported by air and consequently being scanned by airport authorities is likely going to be confiscated without recourse and with either a warning or in worst ease a visit from the local constabulary.
    This has also included accessories (spare magazines etc) imported from the Far East and intended for use with Airsoft guns.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 27-05-2024 at 07:33 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Looks like I’d have to make a trip. I guess that’s what they meant by taking back control, no courier chucking your kit around cos you’ve driven to pick up in Salzburg yourself.

Ah well.

I would like to import a front sight adapter for a HW100. I have only bought one thing from Germany since Brexhit, a second hand £100 scope that mysteriously never arrived. Has anyone successfully bought anything from Schneider.de lately. PS the scope wasn't from them.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

I’ve had various bits over from the US since brexit now, including wood shotgun stocks. Now obviously brexit hasn’t changed US personal imports to the UK, but if that can be managed ok then there should be no reason EU imports to the UK couldn’t either. It’s more of an issue with the company there getting the paperwork/declarations correct. If possible, choose a company in the EU that also exports worldwide - they should be used to exporting paperwork and pitfalls. If they primarily deal within the EU and still claim to export to the UK for legacy reasons, then it’s possible they may not quite know what they’re doing. There is no legal reasons (assuming you’re not trying to import anything illegal…obviously) why it shouldn’t work from our Border Control or HMRC point of view. If there’s an option for proper shipping insurance, that may be wise (if nothing else, from a damaged in transit issue).

Thank you Ash, that sounds hopeful 😊
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    I’ve had various bits over from the US since brexit now, including wood shotgun stocks. Now obviously brexit hasn’t changed US personal imports to the UK, but if that can be managed ok then there should be no reason EU imports to the UK couldn’t either. It’s more of an issue with the company there getting the paperwork/declarations correct. If possible, choose a company in the EU that also exports worldwide - they should be used to exporting paperwork and pitfalls. If they primarily deal within the EU and still claim to export to the UK for legacy reasons, then it’s possible they may not quite know what they’re doing. There is no legal reasons (assuming you’re not trying to import anything illegal…obviously) why it shouldn’t work from our Border Control or HMRC point of view. If there’s an option for proper shipping insurance, that may be wise (if nothing else, from a damaged in transit issue).
    Good points. By way of confirmation, a fellow collector has recently bought several vintage air guns from the Beeman collection in the USA (Rock Island auctions) and all arrived in the UK with no problems, apart from the excessive customs duty he had to pay. Of course, this particular auction house is on the ball when it comes to providing the correct paperwork and finding a suitable international courier.

In contrast he is having major problems getting a non-working relic airgun sent from the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    I would like to import a front sight adapter for a HW100. I have only bought one thing from Germany since Brexhit, a second hand £100 scope that mysteriously never arrived. Has anyone successfully bought anything from Schneider.de lately. PS the scope wasn't from them.
    I emailed Schneider a while back to ask and they said they had stopped sending to Britain.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Maybe worth checking with sportwaffen-schneider again, as they do say they ship internationally. If it’s just within the eu then their site should say so. If they don’t ship to the UK their site should say so. It’s possible they’ve now worked out how to ship to the UK. Also make sure you don’t get charged eu/German VAT, as you don’t want to pay VAT twice…

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I am personally aware of some instances of Border Force seizing and destroying air guns imported from Europe despite them being legal to posses in the UK. Anything suspicious being transported by air and consequently being scanned by airport authorities is likely going to be confiscated without recourse and with either a warning or in worst ease a visit from the local constabulary.
    This has also included accessories (spare magazines etc) imported from the Far East and intended for use with Airsoft guns.

Brian
    Hello, Ah but did they destroy them or put the rifle in their car boot ??

C c

There are probably a few reputable sources out there capable of successfully navigating the import regulations but the associated shipping charges etc would likely still make this prohibitive.
    You would think the onus would be on the supplier to ensure no illegal exports were permitted, but many aren’t really aware of what these entail or of the Border Force’s apparent policy to seize first and ask questions afterwards.
    A friend of mine had an air pistol that could be legally acquired in the UK impounded without justification and he never received any compensation. In fact, he had to get the local Police Crime Commissioner involved to have the incident removed from Police records.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 28-05-2024 at 09:58 AM.