Thread: Advice on filling a empty gun off divers tank

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Can we stick with using the correct name for components please

A "Pressure Relief Valve" is a pre set automatic safety device, that opens to vent excess pressure before before it reaches a dangerous level,
    the thing you open to vent the hose/whip is a "Bleed Valve"

Sorry that's rubbish,
    If the pressure in the whip drops between closing the cyl valve & opening the bleed, all it means is that there's a pressure leak nothing to do with the cyl gauge unless that's where the leak is
    You need to get out more.

Lets see if his cylinder is charged first eh?
    And if there was a leak on the whip, do you think he might not have noticed it?
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post

Hi chaps. There is shoeing on guage 260bar innthe dive cylinder. Ph6 takes 170bar.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post

So is there something wrong with asking you to call an item by the correct term ? a PRV is not the same as a bleed screw.

How are people supposed to learn the correct & safe way to do something, if not from reading the correct information, identifying the correct parts, in the first place

The first post says the gauge is registering the cyl pressure which indicates to me that it contains air, granted no figure was given.

Yes I would hope he would notice a leak, but stating the whip pressure dropping means the gauge is at fault is still wrong

OK Wilba
    260bar should certainly be enough to unstick the rifle valve, but what concerns me is how do you know ?

did you check that with a blanking plug or did it show that when connected to the rifle ?

because if it read that when you connected to the rifle first time around, then you might have already over filled the gun

PM sent
    Last edited by angrybear; 30-05-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    So is there something wrong with asking you to call an item by the correct term ? a PRV is not the same as a bleed screw.

How are people supposed to learn the correct & safe way to do something, if not from reading the correct information, identifying the correct parts, in the first place

The first post says the gauge is registering the cyl pressure which indicates to me that it contains air, granted no figure was given.

Yes I would hope he would notice a leak, but stating the whip pressure dropping means the gauge is at fault is still wrong

OK Wilba
    260bar should certainly be enough to unstick the rifle valve, but what concerns me is how do you know ?

did you check that with a blanking plug or did it show that when connected to the rifle ?

because if it read that when you connected to the rifle first time around, then you might have already over filled the gun
    It showed that when connected to the rifle and i opened the dive tank valve fully so expect as you stated thats the pressure in the whip. I will try ad you said and open and close the valve quickly as it might be the guns fill valve is sticking. Thanks for the info. I was just hesitant as when the pressure went up to over 200 on the tanks guage and nothing happened it frightened me slightly. Thanks very much to you all for your kind input. Chris

Now I am getting worried.

I am not sure but I think the PH6 does not have a pressure gauge?

If it does not and you have connected the rifle to your air tank and opened the air tank valve fully (260bar on the tank guage) then the rifle may well be charged to 260 bar. This is far too high for a PH6 and will lead to the exhaust valve sticking such that no air is shot out when the trigger is fired.
    But: When the tank guage said 260 bar, did you then close the tank valve so that no more air could come out?
    Did you then open the bleed valve on the line connecting the tank to the rifle? There should have been a rapid (less than or about a second) but short hiss as the line loses air.
    If the hiss continues for a longer time, a few seconds and decreases in sound volume, then it is likely that the inlet valve on the rifle is faulty and all the air in the rifle cylinder is coming out.
    Make sure valve on tank is shut. When all air is out of the line, disconnect line from rifle. Will it fire (not loaded)? If it is clearly empty then this confirms a rifle valve issue. If it fires but with a much quieter phut then it is likely there is air in the rifle cylinder at too high a pressure. Keep dry firing to expel more air .. the amount of air being shot out should increase as the air pressure in the cylinder goes down. If the rifle was indeed charged to 260 bar (your tank pressure) then it may take over 60-80 firings to reduce the pressure to a pressure that begins to be normal.

Cheers, Phil

I agree Phil,
    I'm now starting to think it's already been filled to 260bar but I sent WILBA a PM earlier & he's going to dry fire/shoot it down to empty & start again from scratch.