Thread: Turret press recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Here's another Lee Turret fan. I've got the 4-hole model for more than 10 years and never had any trouble with it. As said, great value for the money.
    Nature always tells the truth. It's up to us to understand what it is saying.

I use a Redding T7. Absolutely love it
    My karma ran over your dogma

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari_H View Post
    Here's another Lee Turret fan. I've got the 4-hole model for more than 10 years and never had any trouble with it. As said, great value for the money.
    Never got on with mine, I found the lever kept binding & need quite a bit of force. RCBS was much smoother.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Is it true you can load 22 Hornet on the Lee Turret press. Or do Lee do a rifle turret press too. I use a Lee single stage press as the moment. Sometimes you see the Lee turret presses pretty cheap second hand. It would be useful not having to set up the dies every time, I load 223 as well.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

The Lee Classic turret press is capable of cases up to 3 1/16 (3.0625" or 77.7mm)
    I think if you look at the specs most the lee presses are capable of rifle rounds.

I think the Value one is designed for handgun rounds, not sure what the case OAL limit is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    The Lee Classic turret press is capable of cases up to 3 1/16 (3.0625" or 77.7mm)
    I think if you look at the specs most the lee presses are capable of rifle rounds.
    Yes, even the Lee Turret is OK with long bullets like the 30-06 and 303 but I have to take the auto index rod out and use it like a single stage as the turret tries to turn before the bullet has fully left the seating die. Not a big issue for the relatively small quantities I load of these cartridges.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I use a Lee Turret and have been doing so for over 12 years. I've a (unused) Forster press and my lad's Hornady press which is already set up but I see no reason not to keep using the Lee. And I load 500 or so full bore cartridges a month.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I use a Lee Turret and have been doing so for over 12 years. I've a (unused) Forster press and my lad's Hornady press which is already set up but I see no reason not to keep using the Lee. And I load 500 or so full bore cartridges a month.
    Thanks for the info. Is it a four hole or three hole press?

I still haven’t made a decision on which one to go for!

I think sometimes too much research can be a bad thing!
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    Yes, even the Lee Turret is OK with long bullets like the 30-06 and 303 but I have to take the auto index rod out and use it like a single stage as the turret tries to turn before the bullet has fully left the seating die. Not a big issue for the relatively small quantities I load of these cartridges.
    Hi Thank you for info. So just to clarify, do long as I manually index, the 3 and 4 hole Lee turret press will load 22 Hornet and 223 REM then. Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Hi Thank you for info. So just to clarify, do long as I manually index, the 3 and 4 hole Lee turret press will load 22 Hornet and 223 REM then. Cheers
    The .223 will load with the index rod in, I haven't loaded Hornet but that is not a long round and shorter than the 223 so it should be an issue either.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I'd go Lee turret for pistol rounds.

If your loading lot pistol rounds make sure get the Lee TC dies, you dont have use lube with them

Thanks for the info and replies all.

I went for a second hand rcbs turret press in the end. I have always liked the shade of green. 😅

Took hold of it yesterday, it’s very well made and is sturdy as hell.

I’ve got a set of Lee carbide dies (3) to go with it.

I’m reading the ABC’s of reloading and there’s a recommendation about getting the Lee factory crimp die. However I’ve read online that people don’t seem to think they are needed, as the Lee die seats they bullet and crimps at the same time.

Could anyone possibly shed light on if a fourth die is really needed?

I’m happy to get one if it is worth it

Thanks.

I use a Redding T7 and love it
    My karma ran over your dogma

Thanks for the reply, I think the rcbs turret is similar to the Redding, by the look of it.