Thread: 20 Calibre saves a lot of hassle discuss

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Come on "cave man", I never said I was a perfect shot, I do hold my own though. I pretty much hunt on my own now, unless I go out with the old man, who is 78 and still believes in .177. Mainly because I seen too many shooters "wound" or "eventually die" after they have run or flew for a while. I don't like it so its "head shots are us" club for me on all prey.
    I know my abilities and my limits, I don't switch from calibre and only shoot 2x sub 12 air rifles now, which luckily both love the prem. No FAC at all. I know this kit inside out. The few .20 rifles I have used are not as accurate as mine and don't fly as flat as the prem .177, so they lose out on 2 accounts there. I put down to the calibre and not the rifles, so why bother. I used .22 for years along side .177 but past 40 yards it is a nightmare getting the range yard perfect for .22. Up to 40 yards is fine probably of all calibres if the kit can produce the accuracy required, but for me the do it all and therefore the best sub 12 calibre is .177.
    I on the other hand vary the calibre to suit the situation, .20, .22, .25, FAC .25, .22lr, .17WSM, .243.
    I used to shoot .177 but found it had the poorest results with far too many runners, in addition at close range the pellets go straight through, thus wasting most of their energy & risking damage to anything behind.
    I have zero interest in paper punching, so stopped using it altogether.
    I use a LRF so ranging isn't an issue, & 9/10 use quad sticks or bipod to steady myself.

My MFR .20 with FTT's is without doubt the most accurate sub 12 rifle I have ever had, but if I think something else will better suit on the day, I'll choose a different tool (a gun simply being a tool to do a job)
    I struggle to understand why people think 1 gun can do it all, if they have the option of something better suited, so to me, .177 belongs on the target range, not in the field.

Personal opinion is one thing, but most anti .20 sentiment simply has no basis in fact, or practical experience.
    Last edited by angrybear; 07-02-2023 at 01:25 AM.