Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharps Ace

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

Here's mine in .177" cal, Me mum bought it new for my birthday back in 1997 from Guns International at Stairfoot in Barnsley, It was apparently one of the last batch to enter our shores from Japan..

The stock is stained a very deep red and not as they used to be in walnut!!

Edited due to typo!

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 17-08-2022 at 09:49 PM.
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I have one that Lawrie A resealed for me. Lovely to shoot even if pumping is a faff lol
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I recall i had two Sharp Aces, one with the red wood work in .177 and the other in .22 in the light stock, seem to use it more than the other air rifles i had at the time. Although pumping was a faf you didnt have to rely on a bottle and its expense or renew a spring and oil drop the cylinder once every 1000 shots.

"1977 It was apparently one of the last batch to enter our shores from Japan"

Are you sure? I was told by someone in the trade they were still being imported in small quantities well into the 80's. Demand for the Ace back then was so low that less than 200 were imported in the final year apparently. I believe the founder of Sharp fell of the twig around this time and that led to the company demise.
    Sharp Ace stocks were made from a species of mahogany, possibly meranti, and stained.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post

Are you sure? I was told by someone in the trade they were still being imported in small quantities well into the 80's. Demand for the Ace back then was so low that less than 200 were imported in the final year apparently. I believe the founder of Sharp fell of the twig around this time and that led to the company demise.
    Sharp Ace stocks were made from a species of mahogany, possibly meranti, and stained.
    I was going to say the same John, I thought they came out fairly early 1980's, Innova was around late 1970's as I had one then
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post

Sorry- That was a typo, It should have read '1997'!!

John

ace

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Here's mine in .177" cal, Me mum bought it new for my birthday back in 1977 from Guns International at Stairfoot in Barnsley, It was apparently one of the last batch to enter our shores from Japan..

The stock is stained a very deep red and not as they used to be in walnut!!

John
    was the ace out before the innova ?, i had an innova in 1981 bought with my first weeks wages. i had an ace a few months after that.

Plus the Sharp Pan Target - basically a side lever Ace and the Victory.

(Non standard stock.)

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Wasn't really struck with the Innova, had quite a lot of plastic on it, i thought it was the poor relation to the Sharps Ace. Was the receiver plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Wasn't really struck with the Innova, had quite a lot of plastic on it, i thought it was the poor relation to the Sharps Ace. Was the receiver plastic.
    It was, down side is scope rails came away if people over tightened scope mounts
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

The problem with the Ace was that the scope rails were directly on the barrel which had quite a curvature. Special mounts relieved between the dovetails were required or a normal set modified. Ive even seen an Ace were the barrel between the dovetails was filed flat.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ive even seen an Ace were the barrel between the dovetails was filed flat.
    That is sacrilege

Plus the Sharp Pan Target - basically a side lever Ace and the Victory.

(Non standard stock.)

ATB
    Ian
    The problem with the Ace was that the scope rails were directly on the barrel which had quite a curvature. Special mounts relieved between the dovetails were required or a normal set modified. Ive even seen an Ace were the barrel between the dovetails was filed flat.
    Nice little menagerie there, Ian.

My Ace had the (sturdier) Kestock Conversions breech / bolt fitted.

Did Sportsmatch end up making a mount specifically for the Ace?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Thumbs up

Here's my modified ones Ian using a large rat tail file!!

John

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Only seen an ace at a distance but had several shoot offs at ICENI against INNOVA's. John Stevens(and his lawn mower pump handle) and Richard North.
    HERX77.
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.