Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Tis a strange one as some trusted and very good comp shooters i know swear by sizing, i have tried it a few times over the years with proven batches and found (for my barrels) that it didn't make any difference. For me pellet weighing makes for tighter long range groups,.....even more so recently as i'm finding that my preferred pellet supplier is starting to have wide weight variations compared to 5 years ago.

As with anything you would need a good quality set of scales to weigh and if sizing a good quality sizer.

Sometimes it may just be the placebo effect that when i get to a comp i know that my pellets are as good as they will be and we all know the positivity of sporting psychology.
Pretty much agree with everything said here.
There are so many variables to consider here not just the diameter of the pellet, but the weight, length and shape plus the coating on the pellet. Then there is the rifles power plant and barrel/choke etc.
I have been there, washed pellets in a seive, weighed and sized them then lubricated them myself with alsorts from big brand stuff to beeswax furniture polish.
I can say categorically that it does work to tighten your groups, but after a couple of seasons and applying Vulcan logic, the gains were just not enough, at the end of the day the shooter is the weakest link and you can make far better gains from understanding this and enhancing your technique, your ability to read the wind and field craft.
I assume Chris will agree that in still conditions targets dont get missed, but drop a breeze in the mix and watch them elite polished pellet shooters miss.
I came to the conclusion that my rigs were accurate enough to drop 40mm kills at 55 if I did my bit so I spent more time practicing.