Thread: Crosman 160 tuning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi John,
    Wowsers, 30 shots on 1 powerlet!
    At what power is that? Did you determine shot count by pellet drop, or did you do a shot string, if I may ask?
    I think that 50 shots at 10 ft/lbs is quite good. 160-166 m/s; 6 m/s spread, so that's about 20 ft/s.
    I think on a hot day, velocity would be 10 m/s higher, but that's a rough guess.
    A shot count of 20 wasn't good, for sure. I think the valve spring was way too weak.
    But I often read that their normal shot count is 30 with two capsules. That will be around 11-12 ft/lbs.
    Last edited by jirushi; 13-10-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Hi John,
    Wowsers, 30 shots on 1 powerlet!
    At what power is that? Did you determine shot count by pellet drop, or did you do a shot string, if I may ask?
    I think that 50 shots at 10 ft/lbs is quite good. 160-166 m/s; 6 m/s spread, so that's about 20 ft/s.
    I think on a hot day, velocity would be 10 m/s higher, but that's a rough guess.
    A shot count of 20 wasn't good, for sure. I think the valve spring was way too weak.
    But I often read that their normal shot count is 30 with two capsules. That will be around 11-12 ft/lbs.
    Hi Louis,

The rifle fired more than 30 shots - probably nearer 40 but the last 10 or so were audibly lower powered and landed under the tin I had placed out as a target at 25 yards. I didn't have a chrono with me as it was a 'fun' session!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thank you John.
    I understand.
    I'm a bit of a shot string geek; I stop counting shots when I think velocity drops too much.
    If I would count whilst plinking, the number would be higher. A few cm's drop on an empty beer can "don't matter"!
    Can't wait to do try the S331 peep sight outdoors. A bit chilly for CO2, but a sunny October weekend would be just right.

that's a good result Louis

I can picture you with your white tunic and shot string graphs and equations like a mad scientist. 50 consistent shots is very good for any co2 rifle, I've never thought to play around with hammer weights for adjusting power and economy.

Nice job on a very nice gun.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

20 shots is crazy low. I get more than that on a 180, unmodified.