Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you process range lead? What do you use?

Do you process range lead? What do you use?

Following off the 158gn 38 bullets thread - I was wondering how those who process 'dirty' range lead. I've seen various videos on the subject, but mostly American. How do you all do it - and more importantly, how do you do it safely.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    A buddy of mine takes the assorted crap from the backstop traps and processes it into cast bullets.

He simply chucks the lot into a suitable bowl and applies heat to it. This produces a lot of smoke as the bits of target and target backing and target frame and linatex burn off so he does this outside. When the smoke has subsided he "waltzes the pot" which is an old plumber's term (he is in fact an old plumber) meaning to gently but thoroughly mix it all. Everything which is not lead floats to the top and can be skimmed off (mostly staples and jackets and ash). Eventually no more crap will float up. Important not to overheat the lead - if the pot continues to produce white powder on the surface then the lead is too hot and the lead is oxidising. He then ladles this into ingots which he later uses to feed his Lee Lead pot for casting. He does not flux the lead (which came as a surprise to me but it works for him). The resulting bullets are visually as good as any cast bullets you can buy, He sizes the bullets and later lubes them with liquid Alox and they work really well. He has observed that the black/grey dust found in the butt traps is in fact mostly fine lead dust so do not sieve it out.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

With any scrap lead I’m melting I tend to heat it as one in an iron pot rather than dropping it into already molten lead. Saves the impressive but painful complications of getting a drop of water in there.

Then it’s just a case of skimming the crud and jackets and fluxing. I normally use sawdust or beeswax for fluxing.

Are you not worried about lead fumes?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    As per the top post, I do mine outside.
    Last edited by tinbum; 26-09-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Always melt outside, even when I’m casting.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Always melt outside, even when I’m casting.
    Im same as you, but I use a gas bbq stove thingy for casting, always outdoors , can a melting pot such as the lee production pot be used inside safely ?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by cjos16 View Post
    Im same as you, but I use a gas bbq stove thingy for casting, always outdoors , can a melting pot such as the lee production pot be used inside safely ?
    No, it's the fumes from the pot that are the problem

Following off the 158gn 38 bullets thread - I was wondering how those who process 'dirty' range lead. I've seen various videos on the subject, but mostly American. How do you all do it - and more importantly, how do you do it safely.
    Try a garden sieve small enough to catch the lead, Hose it down to remove debris, dry it & put to one side for later use, I do that with pellets.

Buy a riddle from Screwfix. Riddle, wash them off in a bucket, leave to dry. Stick them in a pan over a camping gas burner and heat them up. Pour the melted lead into cup cake trays to make round ingots.

The jacketed bullets are separated and individually clipped as it lets the lead flow out easier and sealed FMJs can split explosively. They also have softer cores.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    How do you process ALL the grit out... Surely just a few grains of errant sand will bugger a rifle barrel in short order?

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    How do you process ALL the grit out... Surely just a few grains of errant sand will bugger a rifle barrel in short order?
    You don't need to. The stones and grit float on the top of the molten lead and you scoop it off. Fluxing helps the process. Read "from ingot to target". It has all the bullet making lore from the greats such as Elmer Keith.
    Last edited by DesG; 27-09-2022 at 02:21 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Just make sure if you remove lead, the range owner knows you're doing it. Some can get very funny, as they claim to own it.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Just make sure if you remove lead, the range owner knows you're doing it. Some can get very funny, as they claim to own it.
    If the lead free rules come in they should be very grateful!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Well they do own it, but hereabouts we have found that scrappies do not want range lead (too dirty) and we struggle to get rid of it.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL