Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SILICONE OIL DAMAGE Part2

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    You can get products for removing silicone, try your local car paint supliers.
    Unfortunatly the products they sell don't remove it, it causes the problem called 'Fish Eyes' on new paint, they actually add more of it so that the whole paint job has it on!!

Once a paint gun has 'Fish Eyes' eliminator used in it it's !

There seems very little out there to remove silicon oil contamination from anything

Cheers
    Last edited by Snooper601; 13-12-2006 at 08:46 PM. Reason: My usual typos :(
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by kenritz View Post
    I was told to use small amounts of silicone grease, applied to o rings and air fittings. This seems to be the safest way to keep o rings soft and not to cause desiling (explosions with HPA) Has this all changed now? Thank You and please reply!

Cheers Mates,

Ken
    Who told you that HPA can explodewhat a buffoon.Air heats up when compressed NOT when expandingthe release of air from a cylinder through a firing valve is actaully cooling.Feel the cylinder after a few quick shots.
    No my friend Air does not explode when released from a PCP airgun. for O rings you simply massage them with the smallest amount of silicone Grease.For pistons and such like the Molyslide is the best option,just stay away from silicone on places that actaully interact with each other,during the cocking and firing cycle of an airgun.
    Gaham.
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

he probably knows that by now... after all he's had 6 yeas to revise

Sm50

Quote Originally Posted by pizzicato View Post
    Below was mentioned in the earlier thread on this subject

I have an Izzy 46M ssp and was concerned about the piston compression seal and breech seals being bone dry. As I wasn’t sure of the material used for these “rubbery looking” seals I didn’t wish to use a mineral based oil that might have attacked the properties of these seals and secondly mineral oils evaporate.

I contacted Abbey Supply Co Ltd and told them my problem and wanted to know if their SM50 product would be suitable. I was informed that SM50 is a blend (my guess 50:50) of Silicone Oil and Molybdenum Disulphide; that it contained no hydrocarbons.

Their advert on the label, “ GunLube SM50 is a high quality, long lasting lubricant suitable for use at high temperatures and high loads to eliminate wear. Recommended for airgun washers and piston rings firing pins, sears and triggers. Use in compression chambers, high load metal to metal areas and high temperatures. Shake well”.

(My assumption it is the Moly that really does the work and the silicone oil acts like an inert carrier and thins down the Moly).

Now I read that the testing done by Ben revealed that the silicone gets under the grease and that’s when the significant damage started.

I like others would like confirmation that this SM50 does exactly what it says on the 30ml dispenser bottle.

To have to shake the contents would in my mind suggest that the blend is not a homogeneous one and thus separates out possibly after being applied?

I do not relish completely stripping down an expensive new pistol.
    Hi all
    I've also been using Abbey SM50 for lubing my springer internals for a while now & I can not say I have noticed any stiffness or excessive metal wear to the internals
    My first air rifle; Baikal IJ38

What oil is being discussed ?
    Abbey silicone gun oil 35 or Abbey gun lube SM50?
    I have just started using SM50 to lube my springer piston
    and a couple of drops on the trigger mech.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Splund View Post
    What oil is being discussed ?
    Abbey silicone gun oil 35 or Abbey gun lube SM50?
    I have just started using SM50 to lube my springer piston
    and a couple of drops on the trigger mech.
    Bob
    I believe general silicone oil was the original query but now, any lube that has a hint of silicone in it
    My first air rifle; Baikal IJ38

zombie thread alert!
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    SM50 Users don't panic

There is more than one type of silicone oil,

Read this
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/18447...e+name+for+two

If you don't know what you are doing don't use silicone oil, best avoid it altogether

I bet no one has had a problem with SM50, also we used the right silicone oil on piston seals on springers like the hw80 the pushed the piston through the cylinder before putting the moly grease in the cylinder, some of the silicone oil must of wiped of the seal but with the moly on top, doing it properly like this I have never heard of a single problem

check this out....tis magic gun juice ,fantastic stuff..... http://65.48.65.168/Interviews/breakfree.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    There is nothing this side of red hot that moves this stuff, I know i have had it on brake discs before and the only way is to regrind the surfaces repeatedly, not something you can do on the small mechanism we are talking about.

Ben
    These have worked for me, not much effort required.
    Ambersil Amberklene ME20
    Ambersil Ambersolv SB1

Good for small parts of all types.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    check this out....tis magic gun juice ,fantastic stuff..... http://65.48.65.168/Interviews/breakfree.htm
    "Clear, your mind must be if you are to discover the real oil of the gun" .....don yoder.....lmao,sorry but it reads like typical yankee sales drivel.

Years ago I was at the Daystate Factory and was told to wipe the gun over with sewing machine oil, have used it ever since with no problems.
    PURBECK FTC (formally South Dorset FTC) SWEFTA League Champions 2011
    HW100k, Daystate Tsar, BSA Stalker

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    "Clear, your mind must be if you are to discover the real oil of the gun" .....don yoder.....lmao,sorry but it reads like typical yankee sales drivel.
    eh? what the hell you wafflin on about,english please.Have used break free for a few years now.Its great stuff.Have a watch ,the bezel thingy or whatever its called locks solid after every bath(the only time i can get it free to rotate).Used one drop of break free CLP a year ago and even though its washed regulary ,it has stayed free to rotate ever since.seems to use PTFE amongst other ingredients and it works,very well.

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    eh? what the hell you wafflin on about,english please.Have used break free for a few years now.Its great stuff.Have a watch ,the bezel thingy or whatever its called locks solid after every bath(the only time i can get it free to rotate).Used one drop of break free CLP a year ago and even though its washed regulary ,it has stayed free to rotate ever since.seems to use PTFE amongst other ingredients and it works,very well.
    calm down down dear,just having a bit of a jokey....yoder.....yoda,star wars,and all that waffle on a page is typical of usa sales patter.
    i'm glad it works on your watch,really chuffed.....how much is it?

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    The answer.... 3 in 1