Thread: Long range .22 sub 12ftlb ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    We have 60yds at the range, & one member couldn't hit the 60yd targets with his pcp. He saw how much fun us lowly springer shooters were having, so he got one, a 97 in 22, had it tuned & now hits the 60yd targets no problem

To answer your question simply, yes a sub 12 FPE rifle will work for beyond 50 meter shooting.

To fill in the answer a bit, you'll need a good scope, a set of high mounts would probably be of benefit for the longer ranges. A sub-12 FPE 22 requires more finesse at the longer distances due to the more parabolic trajectory, but it's doable. As an illustration of what can be done with "less than optimal" pellet launchers, a few years ago I used my Baikal IZH46M 10 meter pistol to shoot a group at 50 meters. The wadcutter pellets were running around 300 fps, if I recall correctly. Power was down on the pistol which was needing a rebuild Anyway, by holding up a portion of the barrel in the rear sight, using the top of the target backer as a reference point and shooting from a rest, I managed a three shot one inch group that day. I'm not saying I could do it again, but the conditions lined up just right and I was tickled pink with the results. The pellets barely broke the front part of the corrugated cardboard target backer and were stuck right there. If an underpowered target pistol can reach 50 meters then your sub-12 FPE rifle can reach way out there as well. Give it a try.
    I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

Yes, I've heard plenty from fellow shooters and those on this forum who shoots at 100 yards. Hitting coke can size and groups being achievable.

I intend to achieve the same successes. I've got myself .22 hw80 mk2 with a 500mm barrel from a gun fayre recently with a view of having it fettled to shoots smoothly but staying sub 12. I'm now scanning for a club with a suitable range to achieve my ambition this summer. I'll post my personal results and findings in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    Yes, I've heard plenty from fellow shooters and those on this forum who shoots at 100 yards. Hitting coke can size and groups being achievable.

I intend to achieve the same successes. I've got myself .22 hw80 mk2 with a 500mm barrel from a gun fayre recently with a view of having it fettled to shoots smoothly but staying sub 12. I'm now scanning for a club with a suitable range to achieve my ambition this summer. I'll post my personal results and findings in due course.
    There's nothing like setting a goal and working towards it. Hope you share your progress with us.
    I'm a peaceful man and prefer the pursuit of peaceful sports. The shooting sports tend to promote self control and are peaceably participated in by those who know that their greatest challenge is their need to continually hone their own abilities.

your right there bud

Hi. New member here but interested to know if you have managed to get out and give this a go ?

My HW100 and Daystate Regal sub 12 in .22 would group the size of a 2 pence peace when shooting indoors at 50 yards/meters but when shot outdoor with all the variables it opened up to 2x/3x depending on wind.
    They are limited by the performance of the sub 12 performance and not the rifles.

50 yard outside will be fun and challenging especially in the wind

Yes .22 will easily travel 100yds. Simple but counter intuitive answer is that a heavier pellet will fly slower for any given power level but will retain MORE energy at all distances & be less affected by wind. If you want descent groups, use the heaviest pellet with the best BC that your gun will shoot accurately with repeatable consistent velocities, combine that with weighing your pellets & visually inspect them when weighing them & either shoot indoors or on very still days for best results.

Problem with springers is they usually perform best with lighter pellets, there are some highish BC pellets in the 13.5 area, if your gun can shoot them well, they would be your best choice. You can push a 13.4grn pellet with 0.026 BC to 635fps which is exactly 12ft/lb which still has 4.9ft/lb at 100yds.

YMMV
    Ah the Toys ;-
    Tommygun .22LR, Ruger 10/22, Erma M1 .22WMR, Rossi 92 .357Magnum, Tikka T3 Tactical .308Win,
    1858 & 1873 BPR's, Browning Gold 12G, Winchester 9410, Air Rifles, Crossbows & Longbow.

Best I did with a full size HW100 at 50 metres was a 10 shot group 8mm x 13mm centre to centre rested on front and rear bags. Outdoor range but no wind to speak of.

Sub MOA groups are theoretically possible BUT a sub MOA group at 50yds (i.e. half inch group) is much, much easier than one at 100 (1 inch group). I do not know of anyone who has shot a sub-12 1 inch 100yd group but plenty (myself included) who have done 1/2inch at 50yds. It's a real challenge.

Good stuff, I am looking at seeing how far and how accurately I can shoot. Short range, very accurate doesn’t do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    We have 60yds at the range, & one member couldn't hit the 60yd targets with his pcp. He saw how much fun us lowly springer shooters were having, so he got one, a 97 in 22, had it tuned & now hits the 60yd targets no problem
    There must have been something wrong with his pcp 10 ft lbs from the muzzle should hit 60 yards irrespective of calibre or type of air rifle.
    I'd go mad, if I didn't have the devil on my shoulder to talk to.