• Feinwerkbau

4 25.00%
  • Walther

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammerli or Top class

Errol Guest

Hammerli or Top class

Hi all, looking at the Hammerli match at £795.
    What do you gain by buying a £1350, Pardini, Walther, Steyr?
    Apart from shelling out £550. A lot of fold!!!
    Is the extra worth it for a novice?
    Thanks Errol

If your first pistol and looking to try 10m pistol out I'd say join a club and keep your eye out for secondhand pistols.

Look for any of the big brands and you won't go far wrong, my first pistol was a Morini 162ei, now moved to a Morini 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Errol View Post
    Thanks Errol
    Hi Errol,

Trying a pistol before you buy is the key - find out what works best for you before parting with any cash.

The price difference you quote could be a lot wider than you think - new Pardini K12, Walther LP500 or Steyr Evo10 are likely to cost a fair bit more than £1350 - more than the £550 "fold" difference you mention here!

Good luck with your search, take your time testing any you like the look of, and when you decide what you want to buy, maybe consider a good used match pistol as it is probably still going to look like new and shoot like new as they are mostly fairly low milage, seldom (if ever) taken outside, and usually very well cared for.

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Morini is not listed on your Poll Chart.

Not to include what has probably been the world's most successful match pistol since its introduction seems like an oversight.

Look at it this way, you can buy a pistol from any of the main manufacturers take it out of the box and win the World Championship or Olympics with it.* Their performance and consistency is that good. What matters is how you feel with it.

Hammerllis are good, but they are essentially “club” guns with a slant towards the junior market. I have no doubt that it would probably outshoot you and wouldn’t impede your progress at least for a year or two. They are a cost effective solution for a first pistol. However as suggested earlier, if you can try other people’s pistols and find one you particularly like then look around for a secondhand one. It may cost about the same as a new Hammerli, possibly a little more, but would probably be a better long term investment.

*I should mention that about 5 years of solid training will be necessary as well!

HTH
    Rutty

Errol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Morini is not listed on your Poll Chart.

Not to include what has probably been the world's most successful match pistol since its introduction seems like an oversight.
    Ooops

No matter, nobody is voting��

Errol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Errol,

Trying a pistol before you buy is the key - find out what works best for you before parting with any cash.

The price difference you quote could be a lot wider than you think - new Pardini K12, Walther LP500 or Steyr Evo10 are likely to cost a fair bit more than £1350 - more than the £550 "fold" difference you mention here!

Good luck with your search, take your time testing any you like the look of, and when you decide what you want to buy, maybe consider a good used match pistol as it is probably still going to look like new and shoot like new as they are mostly fairly low milage, seldom (if ever) taken outside, and usually very well cared for.

Bob.
    Not looking at top line
    Middle bracket. LP2, K10
    It's only for fun. Not competition
    Last edited by Errol; 25-09-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Ooops

No matter, nobody is voting��

Add Morini to your poll Errol and that could change!

Thanks Errol
    Not looking at top line
    Middle bracket. LP2, K10
    It's only for fun. Not competition
    That makes the answer very easy, just buy what you fancy at the lowest price you can find.

Rutty

My LP500 will be advertised for sale later but I was in a similar position thinking AP20 or LP2

Glad I went LP500 as the grip adjustability alone is worth it…. Tilt, cant, rotation etc…

If you’re serious buy the best you can afford - you’ll only buy a few weeks down the line.

I have to say the Walther impresses me - my best so far is 569/600 - such a simple ambidextrous loading into a channel rather than faff of loading into a barrel… so much adjustment in the gorgeous trigger and being modular you can later swap triggers between mechanical or electronic.

Great bits of kit and for a fraction more than the new AP20 you can have a secondhand Lp500 competition with carbon fibre tube

So don’t rule out secondhand for more bang for your buck
    Last edited by Reevo17; 25-09-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Errol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reevo17 View Post
    My LP500 will be advertised for sale later but I was in a similar position thinking AP20 or LP2

Glad I went LP500 as the grip adjustability alone is worth it…. Tilt, cant, rotation etc…

If you’re serious buy the best you can afford - you’ll only buy a few weeks down the line.

I have to say the Walther impresses me - my best so far is 569/600 - such a simple ambidextrous loading into a channel rather than faff of loading into a barrel… so much adjustment in the gorgeous trigger and being modular you can later swap triggers between mechanical or electronic.

Great bits of kit and for a fraction more than the new AP20 you can have a secondhand Lp500 competition with carbon fibre tube

So don’t rule out secondhand for more bang for your buck
    I am lost!!
    You bought an LP500 which is great, but you may sell it.
    Price?????

Errol Guest
    Are you saying £800 will buy it?

First refusal

Errol Guest

I am lost!!
    You bought an LP500 which is great, but you may sell it.
    Price?????
    I need to free up some funds to buy an fwb 103 and left handed Diana 75 - I may never get another opportunity to buy either again…. As walther is still current so can buy anytime

Hammerli aftersales and parts availability are terrible. At least here. Waiting YEARS for simple things like springs...
    Not all Hammerlis are real Hammerlis either. The matchguns maybe are, but the regular stuff isnt.
    Extras you may get for Steyr money are better trigger, better grip ergonomics (3D adjustability), less recoil, better finish and part quality, faster locktime, maybe more accurate, more sight adjustability more accessoiries, etc...
    Things like grip adjustability are really good features.
    Most important is to find something that suits YOU. Regarding, weight and balance.
    The best pistol is the one YOU can hold still the best.
    I voted Steyr. Not because everyone shoots Steyr cause thats irrelevant. But because I can hold Steyr still the best.
    Dont have a Steyr though. Have a Morini 162E and Tau 7.
    ATB,
    yana