Thread: FX Dreamline Lite Compact

FX Dreamline Lite Compact

This is a rifle that I've both wanted to try, and wanted to avoid, in equal amounts since its been released.

The reason for wanting to avoid, is purely that with FX's record of introducing new models, its always been likely that a mk2/3/4 would be on the horizon in short order. But it seems to have remain largely unchanged except maybe the shroud.

The reason for wanting to try one? The Edgun Leshiy.
    Bear with me.
    I've owned pretty much, all the market has had to offer in the last 30 years, then I bought a Leshiy.
    The Leshiy is solely responsible for changing my shooting requirements, more than any other rifle. The small size and weight being a revelation.
    My Leshiys have sadly gone but its left a big hole, where something was.

So the DLC
    Its not a Leshiy, but it comes rather close in terms of weight and length to something I've really been missing.
    I'd found it difficult to even see / handle one (the pleasures of living in the sticks) and the iffy stock levels in the last couple of years, meant a trip to Sportsman kept being put on the backburner.
    I have a few nice rifles (used for pest control) but all seem lacking in some way or other.

So after speaking recently to a couple of lads that had the DLC, I decided this week, I'd make the 1 hour drive to SGC after first confrming they had one in stock.
    The specs online only quoted the length and weight of the standard DL, so it was a bit of a guess / anticipation what the proportions of the compact would actually be.
    As soon as the box was opened in front of me, I knew I was going to blow my wad. Around 30" in length and feather light (confirmed on scales at home (yeah course I bought it) at a gnats over 2kg) with for me what looked like perfect balance.
    I'd taken a BKL 257 High mount with me as well as a tape, so I knew what my scope height above comb requirements would be. The 257 H cleared the mag and head position measured perfectly. I also knew the eye releif of the scope I wanted to use, so could also check any possible issues with position before handing my money over.
    The deal was done.
    A 3 year warranty sort of reassured the purchase.

At home, it was quickly mounted with a 2-7 airmax which went on with not a lot of room to spare, but is spot on for head position.
    Anyone wishing to use a compact scope, or a 30mm bodied scope, needs to weigh the impact of this before purchasing.

A quick power test showed 10.6 with JSB express, 11.2 with Mako slugs and 11.8t with JSB heavy. Spot on and safe.

I then progressed to zeroing.
    After a few turret twiddles, a full mag was put through a less than 10mm hole at 25 yards. Looking good.
    Negatives? Gauges and foster fill port stick out a bit, grip could do with more depth at the rear, and the trigger may need a slight adjustment.
    None of which actually really matter, giving how it performs.
    Reg gauge shows no hesitance in maintaining set pressure and chrono consistency is good.

Am I pleased?
    Too right I am.
    Not sure how long I have to write this post and dont want to lose it so I'll continue in another post
    Last edited by robs5230; 09-02-2022 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Added detail on mount height.
    B.A.S.C. member

The rifle is shrouded, but I don't think its got any (or much) silencing ability, though to be fair, for a short barrelled rifle I wouldn't say its overly loud either.
    But you'll need a silencer.
    I bunged a Huggett Atom on the UNF fitting on the shroud. The Atom adds about 80mm in length and knocks enough of the bark off, to make it worth keeping on.
    I also tried a HW silencer, which was ridiculously quiet, but took the overall length to about 38" inches.
    Back on went the Atom and I reckon it will stay like this. Overall length around 34" with the Atom so remaining nice and compact.

Yesterday saw me get this out to the club indoor range, where we can shoot wind free out to 50 yards. Its only totally covered to 30 yards, but screened from 30 - 50 so whilst there is a small effect of wind, its far less than shooting outdoors.

The mag - The mag is easy enough to load, but you do have to be careful in .177 as its easy to accidentally drop a pellet in upside down. Do this and you pretty much have to empty and reload as you have to upturn the mag and all the pellets will fall out.
    Mag inserts smoothly and cycling the sidelever gives a smooth operation.

At my chosen zero distance (33 yards) this continued to put shot after shot in a ragged hole. Shot out to 50 yards, the group opened up to about 20mm, but wind could have been a factor.

I'd kept an eye on both gauges and both showed no issues and particularly the reg gauge stayed rock solid at the set reg pressure.

For an out of the box rifle, it shot very well. The trigger has a short first stage and a very defined second stage. I may adjust the second stage a tad to make it a little lighter, but I may just leave it. Its a pretty good trigger.
    The only real niggle in shooting is that I feel it could do with a larger grip, with more meat on the back of the grip. This would stop the trigger pull feeling a little cramped. The grip should be easily rectified with an aftermarket one.

The rifle feels well put together and even the removeable butt section has no wobble when installed

I foolishly forgot to count how many mags I'd used before it hit reg pressure, but theres at least 3 1/2 mags (could be 4 1/2) so thats a fair number of shots either way so there's more available shots than I'd need on the biggest pest control session.

Overall this is a very good rifle. The weight and length being particularly good for my needs. Balance is very good and it will make a corker of a standing shooter which is why I bought it.
    This instantly puts a few of my rifles in question as there are no real compromises with this one, where there are with all my others. We'll see.

The only thing I'd advise a prospective purchaser, is to be careful when thinking about what scope you want to fit.
    Compact scopes may cause issues in terms of positioning and the mag height means you will need mounts of a height to make sure your chosen scope will clear the large mag. I have an almost perfect cheek weld with how my scope fits.
    Scope height above barrel centre is 50mm. Any higher than this and I wouldn't be comfortable as I see 50mm scope height as what I'm happy with as a max.

The last thing I'll mention is its going to be a little tricky fitting a sling. Its easy enough to carry around, but at times a sling is handy in the field at times when you need both hands free.
    The only option to possibly fit a sling will mean it has to be shouldered barrel down. Good safety drills should mean its safe enough.

This is the first new rifle that I've bought in a few years. Comparing it to other rifles on the market at this time, I'd say its reasonably well priced.
    I'll use it as is and won't be falling down the rabbit hole of bolting bits and pieces to it, or changing configuration in any way.

I'll report further after its been out in the field.

I'll quickly add here, that Rowan engineering make a single shot loader for this. One of which should be arriving here imminently.
    I'll be happier using the loader than the mag, and I'll probably use the mag only for ratting trips if at all. I find it far easier to shoot and reload another single pellet than trying to remember how many shots I've taken from a mag. I also find single shot is better for accuracy. We'll see.
    Last edited by robs5230; 09-02-2022 at 08:23 AM.
    B.A.S.C. member

A quick trip up to a squirrel perm earlier saw a big female present a shot as it was approaching a feeder. I was on the way to the hide so took the shot from where I was.
    The rifle mounted very naturally and quickly, and a lovely easy 21 yard stander saw the end of the grey with a a text book head shot.

My concerns over grip size and trigger pull, just didn't occur to me in that instinctive shooting situation.
    I think when I'm zeroing from a bench, I notice very fine points about rifles, that just aren't really a problem in a hunting situation.

I'd say this rifle is going to make a very useful hunter.
    B.A.S.C. member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    A quick trip up to a squirrel perm earlier saw a big female present a shot as it was approaching a feeder. I was on the way to the hide so took the shot from where I was.
    The rifle mounted very naturally and quickly, and a lovely easy 21 yard stander saw the end of the grey with a a text book head shot.

My concerns over grip size and trigger pull, just didn't occur to me in that instinctive shooting situation.
    I think when I'm zeroing from a bench, I notice very fine points about rifles, that just aren't really a problem in a hunting situation.

I'd say this rifle is going to make a very useful hunter.

Yes i have one, it was the tactic with the long cylinder, now converted to a bottle gun with a 300cc bottle and adapter. Its .22 with the 500mm barrel i have the reg set to 50bar which just keeps it legal. Currently set up as my ratting gun with a pard 008lrf. Nil problems in two years.
    mk2 rapid.22

Took the Dreamline out to the club this morning for a zero check.
    Using the Rowan loader with it now and it outshot my Regal, which is a fair task.

Up to the rabbit perm just before lunch and it nailed its first rabbit with a text book shot. The first of many
    B.A.S.C. member

enjoyed reading your review sounds a lovely bit of kit

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    enjoyed reading your review sounds a lovely bit of kit
    Its a very easy rifle to live with.
    I haven't shot my Regal since I bought this
    B.A.S.C. member

Nice write up. I've got one in .22 that's now been converted to a tactical with folding stock etc. (I bought it like this). I find the folding stock makes transporting the gun much easier in the boot of my car etc. I totally aggree that most other guns feel inferior after shooting it. Mines very accurate and whips through the magazines as quick as I want without issue. I find the larger calibre easier to load in the mags and can imagine the. 177 being a pain to drop in the right way, I'd probably get a shaker and loader. . You just need to keep a check on the main mag screw as it tends unwind itself, you can tell it is as the mag doesnt want to locate in the breech. Theres no barrel wobble as some fx, it's so quiet it sounds like it's out of air!! If i could only keep one gun, apart from my child hood webley hawk mk2 it would be this.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Nice write up. I've got one in .22 that's now been converted to a tactical with folding stock etc. (I bought it like this). I find the folding stock makes transporting the gun much easier in the boot of my car etc. I totally aggree that most other guns feel inferior after shooting it. Mines very accurate and whips through the magazines as quick as I want without issue. I find the larger calibre easier to load in the mags and can imagine the. 177 being a pain to drop in the right way, I'd probably get a shaker and loader. . You just need to keep a check on the main mag screw as it tends unwind itself, you can tell it is as the mag doesnt want to locate in the breech. Theres no barrel wobble as some fx, it's so quiet it sounds like it's out of air!! If i could only keep one gun, apart from my child hood webley hawk mk2 it would be this.
    Not used the mag since the Rowan loader arrived. Its much more consistent with the loader. Now shooting 10mm groups at 55 yards and happy with that.

I'd thought about the TAC version for the adjustability of the stock, but the increased scope height above barrel, with the added pic rail stopped me dead in my tracks.

Noise wise, I'm now running this with a Huggett Snipe. When fired, it sounds like its broke, its that quiet.

I'm planning to thin my air rifles out now and this will be my sole pcp.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Not used the mag since the Rowan loader arrived. Its much more consistent with the loader. Now shooting 10mm groups at 55 yards and happy with that.

I'd thought about the TAC version for the adjustability of the stock, but the increased scope height above barrel, with the added pic rail stopped me dead in my tracks.

Noise wise, I'm now running this with a Huggett Snipe. When fired, it sounds like its broke, its that quiet.

I'm planning to thin my air rifles out now and this will be my sole pcp.
    I've not tried mine with the Rowan loader I got with it. I've been having too much fun with the magazine, though you fair go through them pellets. I'm used to bull pups so the extra height isn't a problem and it's not as high as most pups.