You are required by law to ensure that the pellet does not leave your boundary - if it does you are committing a criminal offence.

The way around this is to approach the land owner, say you want to have a crack at the magpies for song bird preservation, you have tried all means of scaring without success and would he be ok to give written permission to shoot over the boundary into his field so long as it is safe to do so.

The other is to shoot from a bedroom windo (assuming it isnt a bungalow) to bait stations that offer containment and soft earth for stray shots to enter into - beware of ricochets.

Do not think you will pick up a rifle and be ready to drop quarry - for evry shot I take at a pulse, I made a 100 in practice.

.22 is not better than .177 in lethality and the loopy traj of the .22 gives it a range disadvantage over the .177. you hit the spot - it will drop.

I would join a club and get some training and advice personally

You need to do your homework and get the practice in once you have bought kit which is a topic all in its own

dont rush a purchase.... the magpie isnt going to disappear just coz you nail a couple in haste.

Neighbours need to be considered - particularly if they take offence at you taking pot shots at the little birdies so if you have neighbours you need to consider your position. A number of people have posted about neighbours foneing police claiing that they have had pot shots taken at them and resulted in an armed response or lots of trouble.

It isnt really as simple as buying a rifle in the shop and then going home dropping aver magpie in sight.