Thread: Airsporter vs new budget springer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks TonyL
    I'll make sure it comes apart one way or the other!
    Anything i can do to check how well the tap seals prior to taking it apart or will i only be able to tell when it is assembled and working?

I'm not really expert in diagnosing loading tqp issues. The only thing I used to do to "check" was to cock the rifle and then open the tap. Then, whilst holding the underlever firmly, pull the trigger and then slowly and keeping it under control, return the underlever. It should reach a stop against the trapped cushion of air. Then, when closing the tap, allowing the pressurised air to vent, the lever will return fully. Obviously you need it to be working, though. Other than that, maybe just a quick visual check to try and check alignment?

Others with more knowledge on loading taps will be along........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseyw View Post
    Thanks TonyL
    I'll make sure it comes apart one way or the other!
    Anything i can do to check how well the tap seals prior to taking it apart or will i only be able to tell when it is assembled and working?
    The traditional check for loading tap seals is to cock the gun open the tap then de-cock and see how long it takes for the air to escape. Don't expect too much as they were never that great even when new. Be careful when unscrewing the back block as they can have quite a bit of pre-load. The back block can also be a bugger to undo so a vice might be required. Also plenty of WD40 to free off the piston if its stuck due to a gunged up buffer washer.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

To test a tap .. good advice above. I have also placed a bit of moist tissue over the closed tap on a loaded gun and fired it. A leaky tap will blow the tissue off. Or you can dribble a drop of oil around the tap sides .. a leaky tap shoots the oil away. I have heard about people using talc powder for this but was warned away from talc because it can be an abrasive if not all cleaned away.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    To test a tap .. good advice above. I have also placed a bit of moist tissue over the closed tap on a loaded gun and fired it. A leaky tap will blow the tissue off. Or you can dribble a drop of oil around the tap sides .. a leaky tap shoots the oil away. I have heard about people using talc powder for this but was warned away from talc because it can be an abrasive if not all cleaned away.
    Cheers, Phil
    I’ll try and see what it’s like when it’s back together, hope will be decent
    Cheers

Ok, will see how it goes.
    Thanks Maximus