Thread: The Lesser Spotted Original/Diana 35

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

if you put a small cable tie round the end of your shaft it's easier to slide your balls in.

All the best Mick
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Transfer port

Are you saying three different lengths were used over the years ?
    I don't have a 35 but I have three 27's ,a early 50's Milbro, a 1966 Original and a 1976 Original and they all have a 16mm
    (5/8") long transfer port .

On my "Supa Dupa" one (530f/s) I made a brass trigger block with pin holes and a spring slot to beef it up.

IF ONLY THEY HAD BEEN DESIGNED RIGHT AND HAD A 6MM LONG TRANSFER PORT !!

I now have a Original 35 which I have stripped and checked the transfer port and it is 3mm dia and just shy of 20mm long on a rough measure with a steel rule so I think your one has been altered by a earlier owner also it has no collection pocket drilled into the face .
    Last edited by crowbar; 09-05-2023 at 08:04 AM. Reason: extra info

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Are you saying three different lengths were used over the years ?
    I don't have a 35 but I have three 27's ,a early 50's Milbro, a 1966 Original and a 1976 Original and they all have a 16mm
    (5/8") long transfer port .

On my "Supa Dupa" one (530f/s) I made a brass trigger block with pin holes and a spring slot to beef it up.

IF ONLY THEY HAD BEEN DESIGNED RIGHT AND HAD A 6MM LONG TRANSFER PORT !!

No, I was speculating that as M & G had made three different versions of the LG35, 1953-1964, 1964-1987 and the 35s, so the forum member's measurement of 26mm of the transfer port could have been correct, but for a different version to mine.
    My LG35 definitely has a transfer port of 20mm, 17mm of it was bored at 4mm, the last 3mm is a little collection chamber in the centre of the cylinder end face.

The little collection chamber was the reason I went so conservative with the 2.8mm ID transfer port as I didn't know what volume the chamber was.

I'd be happy to play with another Original/Diana gun as long as it had a T01 or T06 trigger fitted.

All the best Mick

I'd be happy to play with another Original/Diana gun as long as it had a T01 or T06 trigger fitted.
    There'll never be a T07 Mick but that doesn't mean T05 shouldn't get a look in

If I could find a Model 46 compact .177 T05 trigger, there is atm the opportunity to upgrade to T06

Atb

John
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    There'll never be a T07 Mick but that doesn't mean T05 shouldn't get a look in

If I could find a Model 46 compact .177 T05 trigger, there is atm the opportunity to upgrade to T06

Atb

John
    Good luck in your quest, John.

I'm actually quite happy with the T01 triggers in my 52 and 54 and never even considered swapping them for the T06 when those kits were available at a reasonable price, I even have a spare T01 trigger and piston --- just in case, like.

All the best Mick

If the piston had only one cocking slot it would likely be just right is the ironic thing!

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    If the piston had only one cocking slot it would likely be just right is the ironic thing!
    Yes, I think it works out that about 15 grams was lost from the piston for the second slot, so without it the piston would have weighed in at just over 250 grams.

I'm actually quite happy with the T01 triggers in my 52 and 54 and never even considered swapping them for the T06 when those kits were available at a reasonable price, I even have a spare T01 trigger and piston --- just in case, like.

All the best Mick
    I haven't shot that many Dianas. But on the ones tried with the T01 trigger, including my little 24D, I've always found the unit very usable and predictable too.

Excellent result on the rifle, Mick.

As Jon says, do try and get yourself some of the lighter variety JSB made pellets for springer power testing / setting up. Would be handy for this and other projects. I'm not a fan of most of their fodder myself, as I detect that you're also not attracted, and the prices can be off-putting, but they most certainly come in handy for testing. To be fair, though, on a couple of my rifles tested, our trusty Hobby still pipped the lighter JSB RS and Express variants.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Excellent result on the rifle, Mick.
    Unfortunately I don't think it's good enough, Tone.

So tomorrow I'll be machining up another piston weight/Top hat from 316 stainless and a bronze bearing for it to sit on, these two should weigh about 28 grams.
    This is about as much extra weight as I can add to the piston as I'll be using the same 28 coil Spring and I'm being carefull to keep exactly the same Spring preload as I've used all the way through this.
    Even with this additional weight the piston will still weigh slightly less than that of my Mercury which has the same bore and stroke as the Original 35.

If the added weight doesn't work I'll start playing with springs next.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 29-05-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Good luck in your quest, John.

All the best Mick
    Quest as in Mortal combat More like a Germanic crusade to the father land Mon Capitaine

Diana trigger mechs are confusing, T01, 5 & 6 What happened to 2, 3 & 4 Then there's the one you've just worked on Mick, with the 3 ball bearings, what's the designation for that one ? Also the Original 45 with it's own unique trigger mech.

This still doesn't excuse you for avoiding my question regarding the T05, as you said you'd be happy working with T01 & 6 but no mention of 5 When thoses that know, know this is the number of love

Perhaps I should have avoided bringing this up and just done a thread about Diana, Original, RWS & M&G trigger mechs and why they didn't do what Weihrauch did and stick with the one tried n tested.

I'm waffling again ain't I

Atb

John
    Hw77+7

H W Trigger

Record ,Perfekt,HW90,HW25 and standard HW30 trigger, could be more !

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Quest as in Mortal combat More like a Germanic crusade to the father land Mon Capitaine

Diana trigger mechs are confusing, T01, 5 & 6 What happened to 2, 3 & 4 Then there's the one you've just worked on Mick, with the 3 ball bearings, what's the designation for that one ? Also the Original 45 with it's own unique trigger mech.

This still doesn't excuse you for avoiding my question regarding the T05, as you said you'd be happy working with T01 & 6 but no mention of 5 When thoses that know, know this is the number of love

Perhaps I should have avoided bringing this up and just done a thread about Diana, Original, RWS & M&G trigger mechs and why they didn't do what Weihrauch did and stick with the one tried n tested.

I'm waffling again ain't I

Atb

John
    Although we use the T numbers are shorthand for different triggers, T actually stands for a type, mark, or variant of a gun. So the 75T01 match rifle is a variant of the 75; it does not use the trigger known as T01. The 50T01 is a 50/45 cross; it does not use the trigger known as T01.

There are T03 and T04 variants of the 24 series.

The T05 and T06 variants do involve a different trigger, but also some other changes to the internals.

It’s a bit like military nomenclature - M16 replaced by M16A1, replaced by M16A2, then M16A4.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The LG35 trigger unit is on a different level to most guns, Tone.

To reassemble, the three ball bearings need greasing to hold them in the central carrier, at the rear top of the central carrier is a slot that you have to put a spring with its little spring guide in, then you have to poke this lot into the cylindrical sear that's in the gun.
    If you put a small cable tie round the front on the spring guide shaft to hold the spring then life becomes much easier.

The spring guide acts as the forward stop for the cylindrical sear and the tail of the piston pushes on the cylindrical sear to set the trigger.
    Once you get your head round it everything makes sense but understanding it doesn't make the reassembly any quicker.

I've only ever come across a similar arrangement in industry once before and that was on a hydraulic muck scraper in a dairy cattle shed.

All the best Mick

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Have you got any softer pellets Mick ? e.g. the Falcon AP, or JSB RS or Express ? Domes and hobbies are both hard, high start pressure pellets. The higher ME with hobbies makes me think that a lower start pressure pellet might be more efficient...

Either way though, 11 + with hobbies is a great result
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Have you got any softer pellets Mick ? e.g. the Falcon AP, or JSB RS or Express ? Domes and hobbies are both hard, high start pressure pellets. The higher ME with hobbies makes me think that a lower start pressure pellet might be more efficient...

Either way though, 11 + with hobbies is a great result
    Unfortunately I only have Superdomes, Hobbies, FTTs, Superfields, Wasps, Barracudas and Napier power hunters at the moment in .22", Jon.

Most of my .22" guns either take Superdomes or FTTs.

I'm happy with the 11.6ftlbs with a 28 coil 3mm wire Spring when the factory Spring was 33 coils of 3.1mm wire.

Still niggling at the back of my mind though is the fact that I can still stuff another 20 grams of weight onto the piston and still use the 28 coil Spring, which could make a difference with Superdomes.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 01-06-2022 at 06:27 AM.