Thread: What to buy?

What to buy?

I have a friend with deep pockets. He is a keen rifle shooter but would like to try his hand at pistol shooting.

Now to start the fight!

What in your esteemed opinion is the best new 10m pistol to buy? Hammerli, Steyr, Feinwerkbau etc. Does he get 5 shot auto, or single?

This could be fun.

Ormicron

1. Single shot, no point in self loading unless he intends to make rapid fire his objective.

2. FWB, Walther, Morini, Pardini, Steyr are all capable of being taken out of the box and being used to win Olympic Gold*. It comes down to which one you prefer and feel most comfortable with.
    *Some training required.

3. Hammerli is cheaper and tends to be “entry level” but is perfectly capable.

4. Buy a copy of Training Shooting Sports and learn the basics thoroughly.

5. Buy a secondhand USB SCATT, they go for £350-400. Use it to put 4 above into practice.

6. Before he does any of the above, find a coach who knows something about pistol shooting and seek their advice.

Rutty

Rutty is right.

If he just wants to buy a nice expensive .177 Target Air pistol.
    First decide if you want an electronic trigger or not.
    Then new or used.

Having a budget helps and stops you getting carried away.

You shouldn’t go far wrong with…..

Steyr EVO 10.
    Steyr EVO 10e (electronic)
    Feinwerkbau P8X.
    Walther LP500.
    Pardini K12.
    Morini 162ei (electronic)

I have owned and shot all the above. They all shoot well.

With so many different sizes of grip, try not to buy anything that won’t fit.

Grips are now £150+

Deep pockets or not, what's the point of buying top-of-the-line to "try his hand".

Even a Gamo compact is amply accurate for most "competent" club shooters, but I do understand the satisfaction of owning and using, fine engineering.

Better he learns on something "lower end", finds out what he really likes/gets on with and then make a discerning and educated choice.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I've just sold my pair of Steyr LP50's, and they were what I worked up to when doing a bit of pistol target shooting. I can understand some people saying this is too much to try it out, but if you have the funds, why bother with anything less than top end, even to start with? If you buy these second hand you will lose next to nothing, I had mine 4 years, kept them immaculate, and lost about £200 on each of them, that's less than I would have lost buying a medium range pistol new

The LP50s give you the option of 5 shots or just 1 - but it's an option, so no downside. Having 5 shots means you can do a card and sort your shooting on the fly, so for me at least it was, and would be again, the way to go for good quality pistol shooting.

James

Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

im in the middle of buying a cheap pistol for plinking in back garden

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    im in the middle of buying a cheap pistol for plinking in back garden
    Thanks for sharing. ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by Ormicron View Post
    I have a friend with deep pockets. He is a keen rifle shooter but would like to try his hand at pistol shooting.
    Ormicron
    Any update?
    Did he buy anything. Or still looking?

I took my mate shooting, it soon became obvious that his ambition outweighed is capability. He is 90 and believed that he would still have the strength to shoot, sadly this was not the case. I think he has given up on the idea, but then I am always up for anything interesting.