Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter model?

Airsporter model?

where abouts could i found out what model of airsporter do i have? i bought a old airsporter which i want to clean up ect but not sure what model i have

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/2989/37674764rt4.jpg
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2103/dscf1085wo3.jpg

Question airsporter

whats the serial number,usually stamped on trigger guard cheers Tezz

i see a number on the barrel under the cocking arm that says G1 09642 the 1 might be a deep scratch i cannot see it that clearly.I cannot see nothing on the trigger gaurd because its heavily scratched

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewu View Post
    i see a number on the barrel under the cocking arm that says G1 09642 the 1 might be a deep scratch i cannot see it that clearly.I cannot see nothing on the trigger gaurd because its heavily scratched
    The prefix will be GL rather than G1 which makes it a Mark 6 in .22 calibre.

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...24688&cat=Mk6#
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    The prefix will be GL rather than G1 which makes it a Mark 6 in .22 calibre.

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...24688&cat=Mk6#
    Oi! You're not supposed to show people where they can find out this sort of thing for themselves. It works like this:

-They post the question here.
    -We confidently state that if they just give us the serial number, we'll tell tham what mk it is.
    -We go to that site to get the info
    -We sagely post the answer on here to make us look like all knowing collectable airgun gurus. OP is awed and humbled by the extent of our knowledge.
    -A true vintage airgun geek like IJ turns up and not only tells the OP what the year, month, day and hour of manufacture was, but also that the bloke who assembled it was called Trevor, and that he was missing the third finger from his left hand which explains why the gun has the tendency to shoot to the left, and what he had on his sarnies that day.

Bad form and all that.
    Last edited by Punchsteve; 22-02-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    -A true vintage airgun geek like IJ turns up and not only tells the OP what the year, month, day and hour of manufacture was, but also that the bloke who assembled it was called Trevor, and that he was missing the third finger from his left hand which explains why the gun has the tendency to shoot to the left, and what he had on his sarnies that day.
    Wrong. Trevor never worked on the Airsporter production line that year so ...
    (and corned beef).

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Wrong. Trevor never worked on the Airsporter production line that year so ...
    (and corned beef).

ATB
    Ian
    See what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Oi! You're not supposed to show people where they can find out this sort of thing for themselves. It works like this:

-They post the question here.
    -We confidentelly state that if they just give us the serial number, we'll tell tham what mk it is.
    -We go to that site to get the info
    -We sagely post the answer on here to make us look like all knowing collectable airgun gurus. OP is awed and humbled by the extent of our knowledge.

Bad form and all that.

Sorry, no one explained it to me in quite so much detail before.
    Personally I can't carry too much information around in my head but I can just about remember where to look. God bless Chambers, Hillier, The Blue Book and the web in general.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Sorry, no one explained it to me in quite so much detail before.
    Personally I can't carry too much information around in my head but I can just about remember where to look. God bless Chambers, Hillier, The Blue Book and the web in general.
    Amen. Those chambers parts plans have helped many an airgunner.

Not one to be controversial but - it looks more like a mark 3 to me!

ATB
    Ian

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste
    I was told that GL`s are likely to be Mk IV`s.

Just checked my books - GI = Mk IV 1969-71 (with the plastic/poly bridged back sight that Trevor fitted )

GL = Mk VI 979-83.

ATB
    Ian

It's missing a butt pad either way. It does look like the bridge type rearsight and I don't have my references handy so if it is a GI rather than GL.
    My apologies.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Question airsporter

are mark 3 airporters supposed to be rare i have never seen one myself how did they get from the classic mk 1/2 to the plank that followed

According to Hiller, GI prefix were Mark 2 (.22 calibre) up to GI 15028 and Mark 4 above GI 15028. Mark 4 and later models had recoil pads according to illustrations in Hiller. So unless the recoil pad is missing, removed, it would appear to be a model earlier than Mark 4.
    The more observant of you may have noticed that the Mark 3 appears to be missing above, there is no reference to a Mark 3 in Hillers book. which makes me wonder if the GI prefix up to 15028 was Mark 3?
    According to Hiller Mark 2 was produced from 1959 to 1971 using prefixes GD,GE,GF,GG,GI. A very long time.
    Anybody any comments or certain knowledge on the above?