Thread: What to do with most of a Webley mk3 supertarget...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, guys, much appreciated

Moot point, so just out of curiosity, how much has she been chopped?...the barrel is 405mm long from crown to the front edge of the tap hole, and the stock is 34mm from the edge of the Webley disc to where it has been cut to fit the adjustable pad.

pics
    https://ibb.co/bsjt5N5
    https://ibb.co/MPvT4qr

re. breaking for spares...nah, seems a bit rude and ungrateful seeing as I was given it...might consider swapping the PH rearsight and element box for a decent lightweight period optic though, a 4x28 Tiara perhaps?...are the small 4x15, 4x20 Webley branded scopes of the period any good?

re. PH element box, there is one foresight element in there, a clear plastic disc with small black ring in the centre, but it looks a bit mullered and I'm not sure it is original...probably not much use?

Good news is that the piston seal and tap seal are good and do hold air (cocked with closed tap, uncocked with open tap and the piston bounces on cushion of air), it is very stiff to cock though, not sure if that is because of the short cocking arm and/or too much spring in there?...

Re. recrowning, the only lathe that I have use of these days is my old Relmac treadle lathe...it won't fit through the headstock so would need some creative thinking to achieve...I like Crowbars idea though...
    blah blah

I have a Supertarget of similar vintage. Front of tap hole to muzzle is 475 mm. FWIW, it's 405 mm to the rear of the front sight ramp. The butt's face is slightly curved. It's 36 mm from the back edge of the medallion to the closest point of the wood's rear face.

Just me...I'd hang on to that PH 17B, you might stumble on another Mk 3 that needs it! And not just a Supertarget, it will interchange with the PH 16M that was optional for Mk 3 sporters. Both mount with the same screws in the same location.

Supertargets with PH sights were supplied with a set of metal inserts in the DB1 "disc box."

Last edited by MDriskill; 03-08-2022 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Re. recrowning, the only lathe that I have use of these days is my old Relmac treadle lathe...it won't fit through the headstock so would need some creative thinking to achieve...I like Crowbars idea though...
    Ah --- if you have a lathe, machine a short tube that fits tightly on the muzzle so that when it's fitted it leaves a couple of thou" of muzzle exposed.
    File the muzzle until it's square with the end of the tube, then with a round head screw mounted in a drill with a little cutting paste on the head you can debure the lands of the rifling giving a square crown.

This is a variation on the method described by Hancock and Pope (Venom) in Airgunworld who described using a jubilee clip or a sling clamp instead of a tube as a filing guide.

I use an A series mini pushrods instead of a screw and I glue sand paper to it instead of using cutting paste.

All the best Mick