Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia

Nostalgia

Hi Guys,
    At some stage we all try to rekindle our youth and put on those Rose tinted glasses, again I have been buying rifles of my youth.... I started off with an El Gamo expo before a 77 and a Meteor mk3....
    What would you be buying?

More Webleys (Brum ones)...but to be honest I haven't stopped buying them. My dad introduced me to airguns via his .22 Omega carbine and Senior pistol. Despite having acquired many multiples since, those 2 guns would be the last I'd ever part with.

A shiny Gat gun and ASI Paratrooper Repeater.

I have since bought both to remind myself of the happy times I had when I owned examples the first time round.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I would like to source a Gamo Hunter 440 with the walnut stock effect, I have fond memories plinking with one of these with my late wife. I part exchanged the rifle to upgrade never realising what it would mean just a few years later.

It wasnt until the early 90's that I was old enough to start wanting airguns, so if we talk pure nostalgia from a youth perspective, the 50's 60's and 70's guns are not relevant for me. But some of the 80's guns were still around.

The guns I looked at in catalogs and dads old gun magazines were:
    -Daisy Red Ryder, with its lever and large magazine capacity
    -Crosman M70, which looked like a real hunting rifle
    -Smith and wesson 77A, which was supposed to be really powerful

Knowing what I know today, dad should have bought a HW50s with the screw in end block and synthetic piston seal in the 80's-
    that would have been a real introduction to airguns.
    Too many airguns!

I got my gat gun and recently the bsa 240 magnum. I've got a smk b45-3 in 177 in bits, but it was in .22 with the custom stock I had as a kid so that will be another investment.
    Then I'll get a bsa supersport from 96, maybe the ags pcr-1 and original 50. Had about 10 airsporters and they never lived up to my fond memories and passed them all on.

Thing is I'm happy with what I've got so if it comes my way I might be tempted but I really cba looking anymore
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Weihrauch Barakuda for me... Should never have got rid of that rifle, Swapped it for a Harper air cane. Col.

1950's Diana 27, early one with the alloy 2 stage trigger.

Webley Mk 1 pistol, from the same era.

ASI Paratrooper, like my mate's brother had. First scoped gun I tried.

Early HK77K. Most accurate gun I've owned.

All affordable, but I don't think I could get away with it unless I sell some of my present small collection or one of the Sorned motorcycles.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I have swapped lots to get my Aircartridge collection.... Never managed a cane before the ban though!!
    Don't suppose you have any of the paperwork left??

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I have swapped lots to get my Aircartridge collection.... Never managed a cane before the ban though!!
    Don't suppose you have any of the paperwork left??

only sold it about a year ago as it was legally converted due to the ban, Similar principle to the Harper micro pistols where you load the pellet onto the rifle chamber then you insert the cartridge thus not covered by the ban as it was no longer using a self-contained cartridge, There was actually paperwork but it went with the cane to the USA, Col..

A powerful thing nostalgia, I started with my dads Webley Senior and swiftly followed on to BSA rifles with Meteors/Mercurys and Airsporters as well as a good few rifles from Webley before I turned 21 and then it went bonkers with every brand going as soon as I started earning.

I have bought all the early gear back with my rose tinted glasses firmly on but strangely never a Webley Senior, might have to rectify that now that you have put the idea in my head

Had mine recently Meteors & an Airsporter but didn't last long. I could be tempted by another Webley Vulcan though
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I bought a Gamo 68 recently on a whim as I always thought they looked really coool in the mail order catalogues

As a 13 yo...

Nowadays, well... but it's a fun plinker and surprisingly easy to shoot off hand

I wish that I could still buy a NIB Walter LP 53 for £25

My very first air rifle was a HW77', back in 1991. I managed to find a minter 77 dated approx 1989 about 6 years ago, so snapped it up.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Back in early/mid eighties my 1st air rifle was an HW80, sold it to part finance a Zephyr 77. A few years ago the rose tints crept up on me, resulting in me buying a 2ndhand HW80. Wasn’t impressed. It didn’t match my memory. A TBT kit later I’m was still left disappointed. Sold it on at a loss as I told the buyer I didn’t think it was a good example.

So next time the rose tints unexpectedly slide on, I hope I remember my HW80 experience.