Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
They are pretty wimpy. Never chronoed but from the sound I am pretty sure they are well subsonic - starts to sound supersonic around 25 grains IMO. I have never had one fail to arrive at the target (25m) and they splash the berm at 50m. Personal best is 93 (10 ex 13) on PL7 but I am happy if I can break 90.

I don't shoot competitions (apart from the fun Xmas type stuff) as I find that it spoils my enjoyment, however I do shoot alongside some former international shooters and they all seem to run very light loads in rifled repro handguns. Smooth is a whole 'nother matter - those guys really stoke 'em up!

I use an even lighter load in my Uberti Remington, but a previous owner had it "breathed on" in various ways, including cylinder timing, lapped barrel, and a very small cylinder gap, so I don't think that citing those loads would be very helpful.

Give it a go - the price of powder these days.....!
Present company excepted, but I'm not spending the rest of my BP handgun shooting life in this country shooting 'water-pistol' loads that feel like the kick from an electric toothbrush. I've paid for that kick in the hand, dammit and I want to know and feel that when that gun goes off, it is damn-well going to kick like a real gun should kick. I had more handguns here than most gun-dealers, and therefore lost more, and most of them were ka-boomers. Sure, I get my fix over in OR every year, but as long as I can get reasonable results using my 25gr load, I'll continue to do so. The price of powder means absolutely nothing to me - I burn powder in my guns and coal in my trains, and I can leave neither of them to my offspring.

tac