Thread: Prewar Junior mainspring different to postwar?

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Prewar Junior mainspring different to postwar?

Got a sweet prewar tin grip junior in a job lot. I changed the main spring and now it won’t cock?
    I dimly remember the prewar springs are different to the postwar? Am I right? Feels over sprung.
    Cheers Paul
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post
    Got a sweet prewar tin grip junior in a job lot. I changed the main spring and now it won’t cock?
    I dimly remember the prewar springs are different to the postwar? Am I right? Feels over sprung.
    Cheers Paul
    Hi Paul,

There was a difference between prewar Senior springs but not the Junior as far as I know.

Are you sure you replaced the spring with a correct one?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

The Protek W37p spring is ok in a Junior, I've used a few of them without problems. If you have used the W25p normal Webley pistol spring, it will lock solid before the piston bent reaches the sear

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    I bought a Junior spring from fleabay a couple of years back, it was a gold looking finished in a red and clear pack, when I fitted it it was coil bound so I lopped a few coils off which got it cocking but it felt horrible in all aspects,I hoped it would settle in but after about x50 shots I gave up as it was clear it would never settle down to how these old Juniors should feel. I took it out,binned it and managed to eventually find a new old stock version which was fantastic without any modification.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post
    Cheers Paul
    As the thing was working with the old spring, the chances are the sear is ok.
    Im guessing it is probably the little cocking shoe that is worn.
    If you have another pistol, take the barrel and linkage off that to try on the one that isnt cocking. If it then cocks, it is probably the cocking shoe.
    If it doesnt cock, try the mainspring in the other pistol.
    If you dont have another barrel and linkage to swap over, then you can reverse the cocking shoe (Hoping it hasnt been reversed already) . Its sometimes easier to take the pin out of the bracket on the barrel and turn the linkage over (which will reverse the shoe), rather than try to remove the cocking shoe pin.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Webley

Thanks all. I swopped it with the (good) spring in another prewar junior that I have, it cocked! Then put the new spring in that pistol and that one works too! Strange, but all is good.
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through