Thread: Eagle marksman of the year 1952 win a bsa cadet major

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sounds like I can help with this one ....

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    As i am a big fan of the bsa cadet and cadet major and anything related to them i have an advert from the Eagle comic 1952, at the schoolboys own exhibition 1952 on the eagle rifle range the champion of all crack shots will win a bsa cadet major and a trophy and eleven runners up will each get a bsa air rifle, now i have searched the internet i can find items about the schoolboys own exhibition but can not find anything about winning this bsa air rifle so i was wondering if anyone else would remember this shootng prize at the show or even better where is the trophy now, ( not much chance of finding the trophy i know ) i have the advert but dont know how to ad a pic.
    Having just made a quick "I wonder" search I came across this thread. The reason I did it was my dad just dug out and showed me the trophy he was awarded for winning the Eagle comic shooting competition in 1952, a story he has told me often over the years. He was a keen reader of the comic and went to the show, entered the competition and won! I was unaware until now of the competition being by schoolboys own. He was presented with the trophy which is dated with the year along with two matching BSA air rifles (.177 pellet firing). Each rifle had a small engraved plate screwed to the side of the butt in recognition of the win. He passed on one of them to another side of the family long ago but we still have the other. I fired it a few times when I was younger, it's got quite a powerful spring loading mechanism and a kick when fired, and it's since been tucked away for safe keeping. Although my dad was too young to serve in the war he did do his National Service at Catterick Camp in Yorkshire, and has often told stories of his target shooting using an Enfield 303 where he would often bullseye at a great distance (he was a very good shot). In fact he has told of occasions where, due to crosswind, he had to aim at the next target over in order for his shot to hit his target.

Hope this enlightens you.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Geeba; 21-11-2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Turn on email notification