Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharps Ace

Sharps Ace

Anyone still shoot a Sharps Ace? Had one years ago, great gun shot well, even got Mr Bowkett to fit ceramic seals on mine, less pumps more performance etc. Sad to sell it, went towards a Pre charged Daystate. Are they still about and what do they go for these days.

Just finished refinishing one and it’s great to shoot, put a nice period scope on it and it’s a nice thing to get out and shoot when I don’t need full power in the back garden.
    Seen prices all over the place from £70 for a rough one to £180 to £200 plus for a good one.

I have also just bought another one to totally restore and it’s a total dog that someone has tried to make it do 3 million fps and re sealed it with a bike inner tube which didn’t work so they left it in what must have been a damp shed for the last 10 years rusting away till I bought it. It was cheap though………..

I wouldn't mind finding a cheap one to fix up now i do my own rust blueing. What are spares like, i am sure bits can be re machined.

i have a couple but finding cheap ones now is rare unless they're missing a vital component like the bolt plate which is virtually unobtainable
    value wise a vcg ace will be worth around 350 and poor working ones seem to be around 200

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    i have a couple but finding cheap ones now is rare unless they're missing a vital component like the bolt plate which is virtually unobtainable
    value wise a vcg ace will be worth around 350 and poor working ones seem to be around 200
    Brilliant tool the Sharp Ace and amongst the most accurate rifles in my little collection. I recently had to replace the flimsy bolt plate and got one from John Bowkett. He has quite a few taken off Aces that he did his bolt conversion on in the 1980's. Anything that was any good he never threw away.The pressure relief valve spring from these and the Innova were later used in the first few hundred Titan Manitous as a valve return spring

Another rifle to look out for for the collection.

i liked mine when i had it

A mate had one back in the early 90s, it sometimes felt like a faf to charge compared to My hw80 at the time but my god was it accurate and quite. To this day I still lust after one, always in the market for a project if anyone has one? Does JB still do work on these, less pumps and a more robust bolt set up would really tick a few boxes for me?

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    Think I paid top price for one I have
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Thumbs up

Here's mine in .177" cal, Me mum bought it new for my birthday back in 1997 from Guns International at Stairfoot in Barnsley, It was apparently one of the last batch to enter our shores from Japan..

The stock is stained a very deep red and not as they used to be in walnut!!

Edited due to typo!

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 17-08-2022 at 09:49 PM.
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I have one that Lawrie A resealed for me. Lovely to shoot even if pumping is a faff lol
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I recall i had two Sharp Aces, one with the red wood work in .177 and the other in .22 in the light stock, seem to use it more than the other air rifles i had at the time. Although pumping was a faf you didnt have to rely on a bottle and its expense or renew a spring and oil drop the cylinder once every 1000 shots.

"1977 It was apparently one of the last batch to enter our shores from Japan"

Are you sure? I was told by someone in the trade they were still being imported in small quantities well into the 80's. Demand for the Ace back then was so low that less than 200 were imported in the final year apparently. I believe the founder of Sharp fell of the twig around this time and that led to the company demise.
    Sharp Ace stocks were made from a species of mahogany, possibly meranti, and stained.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    "1977 It was apparently one of the last batch to enter our shores from Japan"

Are you sure? I was told by someone in the trade they were still being imported in small quantities well into the 80's. Demand for the Ace back then was so low that less than 200 were imported in the final year apparently. I believe the founder of Sharp fell of the twig around this time and that led to the company demise.
    Sharp Ace stocks were made from a species of mahogany, possibly meranti, and stained.
    I was going to say the same John, I thought they came out fairly early 1980's, Innova was around late 1970's as I had one then
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

ace

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Here's mine in .177" cal, Me mum bought it new for my birthday back in 1977 from Guns International at Stairfoot in Barnsley, It was apparently one of the last batch to enter our shores from Japan..

The stock is stained a very deep red and not as they used to be in walnut!!

John
    was the ace out before the innova ?, i had an innova in 1981 bought with my first weeks wages. i had an ace a few months after that.