Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
Are there an risks in handling lead pellets?

Yes, because they contain toxic substances.

Can I quantify what the risk in terms of contact frequency, exposure limits etc no. But I'm sure there will be something on exposure limits handling of lead & lead alloys on product MSDS or HSE guideline but how that translates into pellet handling I wouldn't know.

So, knowing leads nasty what do I do? Keep pellets in the original packing ( for instance no putting a couple of dozen in a trouser or jacket pocket as a handy supply). Don't eat or drink or handle food until I've washed my hands well in warm soapy water. Try to avoid touching my face especially around my eyes ,nose or mouth & if I have an itch on my face I use the back of my hand as opposed to finger tips that may have been touching lead. Lots of things are potentially harmful one problem with things like lead is that the effects of contamination are not usually immediate with low levels of exposure so anything you can do to reduce exposure levels by sensible practical use seems like a good idea to me.

I think it's all part & parcel of learning to shoot.....well it's the way I was shown.

I'm not paranoid but I would say that I try to mitigate the risks involved.

Not sure but was it mercury that was used by hatters as opposed to lead?
You are right .
Mercury poisoning of hat-makers – A popular explanation of the phrase suggests that it was connected to mercury poisoning or Korsakoff's syndrome[dubious – discuss] experienced by hat-makers as a result of the long-term use of mercury products in the hat-making trade. In 18th and 19th century England, mercury was used in the production of felt, which was used in the manufacturing of hats common of the time. A late 19th-century example of the effect occurred with hatters in Danbury, Connecticut who developed a condition known locally as the Danbury Shakes. The condition was characterized by slurred speech, tremors, stumbling, and, in extreme cases, hallucinations.[