Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SILICONE OIL DAMAGE Part2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    You can get products for removing silicone, try your local car paint supliers.

sccs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    yea a bit of clutch/brake cleaner will get almost anything off.

thinners will also do a prety good job of most stuff.

i use nothing but molykote on my rapid.

There is nothing this side of red hot that moves this stuff, I know i have had it on brake discs before and the only way is to regrind the surfaces repeatedly, not something you can do on the small mechanism we are talking about.

Ben

ben

perhaps you could tell us what oil you would advise us to use for wiping down our rifles.

i remember what oil you told me to use whilst in your shop one day.

atb ian
    theres another one for the pot !

laity is offline Dumb “Platinum” Blonde
    Ian

A very good point.

Laity
    Lots and lots of guns !

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    There is nothing this side of red hot that moves this stuff, I know i have had it on brake discs before and the only way is to regrind the surfaces repeatedly, not something you can do on the small mechanism we are talking about.

Ben
    If I remember tomorrow I'll check what the sprayer's use at work, its specificaly designed to remove silicon from a surface to be sprayed, but I'm not sure how good it is for this aplication

As I posted in the original thread the following extract is from the Webley Spectre manual 'Do not apply lubrication to the air filler probe or the rifles air filler hole' also 'Use only mineral based oils such as Weboil(webleys oil) to lubricate the Spectre'.Now I use Abbey Gun & Rifle Oil.This is a light viscocity mineral oil with a powerful rust inhibitor additive(so it says on the can).I have been using this for a couple of years on a Cutlass for wiping the gun over & lightly oiling the cocking lever.Now should I bin it or keep on using it.Thanks,Steve

If I remember tomorrow I'll check what the sprayer's use at work, its specificaly designed to remove silicon from a surface to be sprayed, but I'm not sure how good it is for this aplication
    WE USE SPIRIT WIPE PRIOR TO PAINTING BUT THAT ONLY REMOVES GREASE AND CONTAMINATES...SILICON IS HARD TO REMOVE AS YOU WILL JUST SPREAD IT AROUND ETC...THEY WAS A PRODUCT NAME I CANNOT REMEMBER THAT YOU PUT A DROP IN THE PAINT AND THAT WOULD REMOVE SILICON... FIH EYES ETC BUT IN TRUTH IT DID NOT BUT IT ONLY MADE ALL THE THE PAINT YOU MIXED ONE BIG HEAP OF SILICON WHICH WOULD INFEST YOUR FILTERS ETC

fooknmissed Guest
    There should be a sticky about this subject,a mention about potential damage wouldn't hurt in the mags either,i cant imagine why 'Abbey' etc are still selling this stuff,have they no qualms at all?
    Ben Taylor did state last week that he'd contacted them about the dangers and had no joy
    Makes you wonder.

kenritz is offline I'll crack this 'British humour' thing, or die trying...
    I was told to use small amounts of silicone grease, applied to o rings and air fittings. This seems to be the safest way to keep o rings soft and not to cause desiling (explosions with HPA) Has this all changed now? Thank You and please reply!

Cheers Mates,

Ken

I mentioned this in the last 'Oil' thread
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...light=silicone

Quote Originally Posted by kenritz View Post
    I was told to use small amounts of silicone grease, applied to o rings and air fittings. This seems to be the safest way to keep o rings soft and not to cause desiling (explosions with HPA) Has this all changed now? Thank You and please reply!

Cheers Mates,

Ken
    All dive O seals are supposed to be lubed with silicone grease but if it gets near anything mechanical it can do damage.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by kenritz View Post

Cheers Mates,

Ken
    Who told you that HPA can explodewhat a buffoon.Air heats up when compressed NOT when expandingthe release of air from a cylinder through a firing valve is actaully cooling.Feel the cylinder after a few quick shots.
    No my friend Air does not explode when released from a PCP airgun. for O rings you simply massage them with the smallest amount of silicone Grease.For pistons and such like the Molyslide is the best option,just stay away from silicone on places that actaully interact with each other,during the cocking and firing cycle of an airgun.
    Gaham.
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by fooknmissed View Post
    There should be a sticky about this subject,a mention about potential damage wouldn't hurt in the mags either,i cant imagine why 'Abbey' etc are still selling this stuff,have they no qualms at all?
    Ben Taylor did state last week that he'd contacted them about the dangers and had no joy
    Makes you wonder.
    Yes it makes you wonder why

Perhaps they told Ben to read the instructions
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...oneoilaero.jpg
    http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=293

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post

Ben
    When it gets really hot it changes into silicon carbide, a popular abrasive. It also "creeps" along surfaces which is why you should not use it near electrical equipment, the heat of electrical arc converts it to carbide which then destroys relay (and switch) contacts.