Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: lets go back to 1986 for a min....

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Here is an example of one of VAG adverts from October 83:

From what I hear, he had a lot of quality, interesting gear, even a shop you could walk around and look at dozens of interesting airguns, for example he had 12 GC2s on a shelf at one point before he closed down.

Would be interesting and advert from 80's early 90s as that's the era I am interested in.
    Yes he had a building stacked with lots of quality gear on a farm site,which I visited on several occasions, in todays world the prices look like bargins but at the time they were high, but as said all top notch and available if you were willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Yes he had a building stacked with lots of quality gear on a farm site,which I visited on several occasions, in todays world the prices look like bargins but at the time they were high, but as said all top notch and available if you were willing to pay.

that brings back many happy memories of dreaming over what I would get (NOT the Wobblys ) and slavering.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

TonyL. Not only were they excellent competitions the Snooker side shoot brought in hundreds of pounds over the years with people re-entering time after time in an effort to beat the leading score. Just what an airgun club needs.
    I can well imagine, Ian.

I think either would make a most interesting addition to the Boinger Bash repertoire. Possibly more likely the snooker challenge taking into account our lower numbers. We could also possibly make it into a charity fundraiser like Craig-P organised back in 2017 at Mick's with a "three gun challenge" (open sighted pistol, open sighted rifle and scoped rifle). For the snooker challenge, we could use either smaller targets or longer ranges for the higher value scoring colours?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I can well imagine, Ian.

I think either would make a most interesting addition to the Boinger Bash repertoire. Possibly more likely the snooker challenge taking into account our lower numbers. We could also possibly make it into a charity fundraiser like Craig-P organised back in 2017 at Mick's with a "three gun challenge" (open sighted pistol, open sighted rifle and scoped rifle). For the snooker challenge, we could use either smaller targets or longer ranges for the higher value scoring colours?
    What a grand idea. I think it's a bit late in the day to organise this for next weeks' bash but perhaps we could have a chat with Neil and sort something for the next one. I'm more than happy to help run it and could have a word with work, plus some other outfitters to see if they'd sponsor us, like Solware kindly did last time.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    For the snooker challenge, we could use either smaller targets or longer ranges for the higher value scoring colours?

Thats exactly what I did originally. I used KD targets at different ranges. The red [1 point], tempting easy set, depending on the weather conditions, at say, 30 yards. The yellow [2 points], slightly to one side, @ 34 yards. The green [3 points] @ 38 yards. Etc. Etc. Etc.
    The 'player' must shoot the red then pick a colour of their choice. Shot targets are re-set. They could play safe and go for the easy yellow but probably wont win. Once they have shot a colour they have to again shoot the red then again pick a colour of their choice. They continue 'play' for 10 shots. FIRST MISS and its the end of the break and OUT! The club put a set of targets painted in the correct colours to one side specifically for this side event. You could also put signs up at the side of the targets stating the points value for those who don't play snooker (and it saves arguments )
    Later manufacturers made spinners of decreasing size which were placed at the same distance but a hit or a miss on a spinner is a, er, hit or miss affair. K Ds produced a definite result and less arguments.
    The number of people who concentrated on shooting the pink or black often missed the red due to lack of concentration. "Can I have another go?" was the war cry. Be prepared for tears and tantrums.
    Last edited by I. J.; 10-09-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Thats exactly what I did originally. I used KD targets at different ranges. The red [1 point], tempting easy set, depending on the weather conditions, at say, 30 yards. The yellow [2 points], slightly to one side, @ 34 yards. The green [3 points] @ 38 yards. Etc. Etc. Etc.
    The 'player' must shoot the red then pick a colour of their choice. Shot targets are re-set. They could play safe and go for the easy yellow but probably wont win. Once they have shot a colour they have to again shoot the red then again pick a colour of their choice. They continue 'play' for 10 shots. FIRST MISS and its the end of the break and OUT! The club put a set of targets painted in the correct colours to one side specifically for this side event. You could also put signs up at the side of the targets stating the points value for those who don't play snooker (and it saves arguments )
    Later manufacturers made spinners of decreasing size which were placed at the same distance but a hit or a miss on a spinner is a, er, hit or miss affair. K Ds produced a definite result and less arguments.
    The number of people who concentrated on shooting the pink or black often missed the red due to lack of concentration. "Can I have another go?" was the war cry. Be prepared for tears and tantrums.
    Halcyon days I.J
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Brilliant.
    Thank you for that extra information, Ian.
    Sounds like great fun and a winner to me.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    What a grand idea. I think it's a bit late in the day to organise this for next weeks' bash but perhaps we could have a chat with Neil and sort something for the next one. I'm more than happy to help run it and could have a word with work, plus some other outfitters to see if they'd sponsor us, like Solware kindly did last time.
    Brilliant. Let's do it.. A good cause might also help attracting more newbies, Craigy.

It’s bleddy addictive! Everyone thinks they can do better with another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo351 View Post
    The BODS badge you have stands for Basingstoke Outdoor Shooters. I started the club in 1975 shooting paper targets. The Pigeons were always a popular side shoot and I made them just before I started Nockover Targets. As for Joe and Cindy I exchange Christmas cards with them each year. I still own the only pump up rifle made by Ken Turner. Wonderful times with many NEW guns coming on stream not just wonderful new stocks! Nice to hear some of us are still around
    Here is a picture of the above mentioned Ken Turner pump-up:

Further info and pictures of the Ken Turner pump-up can be found here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....umatic-airgun/

The article below the pictures is worth a read, it's amazing how much KT was doing on his springers back then in 1982...
    Last edited by nurek; 14-09-2022 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Here is a picture of the above mentioned Ken Turner pump-up:

Further info and pictures of the Ken Turner pump-up can be found here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....umatic-airgun/

The article below the pictures is worth a read, it's amazing how much KT was doing on his springers back then in 1982...
    I remember having a quick go with that pump up rifle at one of the Boinger Bash events a few years ago.
    Very nice it was too.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    This is correct and still very sad. Darlington rifle club is now predominantly Full bore shooting. It does have an air rifle section but is no longer a member of NEFTA. From Ormesby we moved to Mannion Park sporting club where we had a 25m Indoor Range and 100m Outdoor range, superb facility until someone burnt it down. That was the start of the demise of the club, and losing old Bill who owned and run the Sun Inn. Great days, cracking memories.
    All very sad. Ormesby air rifle club is where it all started for me back in approx 1991 - 92. I remember shooting in the woods up at the Sun Inn on Sundays. Happy days.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

My 'Claim To Fame' in the 80s was the invention of Airgun Snooker which soon became a very popular (addictive) side event at many national and club level competitions. In the following years several companies produced snooker sets using springers. I originally used different coloured K D targets set at different ranges. Black being furthest, pink slightly closer etc. The fairly easy red had to be shot before picking a colour. First miss and you were OUT!
    Our club also played Airgun Cricket which became a very popular Sunday event.
    I remember winning quite a few snooker shoots with my Mick Dawes Special back then.
    Especially if it was combined with a speed shoot - devious that was.

Mark - ex Stourvale.

I knew I had that advert somewhere. Third column, halfway down.
    Don't let the prices make you too sick...

Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I knew I had that advert somewhere. Third column, halfway down.
    Don't let the prices make you too sick...

Thanks Craig!

WOW!

That was some shop! 5 Whiscombes available off the shelf, not to mention the Venoms and Airmasters or the Kobaysahi and Welham stocks!

AMAZING!