Thread: Query using a Hornady bullet comparator on my Howa 223?

Query using a Hornady bullet comparator on my Howa 223?

I have a Howa heavy barrelled 223.
    It has been and still is a superbly accurate rifle.
    Last weekend, I used new Lapua cases and measured and weighed 3 cases and bullets for a number of different bullet makes.
    I used Ramshot X-terminator powder and CCI BR4 primers. Seating depth 2.245". 100 yard range.
    The results were superb, 0.695".0.400",0.767" and 0.670" well pleased.
    Having some spare time thought I would dig out my comparator and experiment more.

Problem on every bullet tried in that the bullets were just hanging out of the modified case, followed the procedure exactly in that I'm sure that I was not too heavy forwarding the bullet in the comparator.

So would I believe that I'm correct in assuming that the 'throat' has been shot out with about 16 years of use?
    I have the same 'problem' with my 6.5 Swede 1917 vintage, comparator no good on that, but found a C.O.L which it likes and still excellent accuracy.
    The 223 C.O.L is 2.260", I've always loaded to 2.245" and that depth has and still works, I used the comparator as bullets and cases vary, and getting to 2.245" on every round was a pain, so thought I could tighten up even more and stop the fiddling round loading to C.O.L.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

I think the idea here is... if it aint broke, don't fix it..!!

It sounds like you're getting excellent groups, so why dig deeper and confuse yourself..?

223 C.O.L is 2.260", I've always loaded to 2.245" and that depth has and still works, I used the comparator as bullets and cases vary, and getting to 2.245" on every round was a pain, so thought I could tighten up even more and stop the fiddling round loading to C.O.L.

If you’ve measure with the comparator and it’s giving you 2.260 to the lands then your load of 2.245 is 15 thou off the lands and gives you sub MOA results at 100 yds which is good.
    You could try moving 5thou either way and see what that does to the group sizes.
    I’ve found that some bullets (VLD types) do ‘hang’ out the case & I don’t tend to use them for that reason or set them back .

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    I think the idea here is... if it aint broke, don't fix it..!!

It sounds like you're getting excellent groups, so why dig deeper and confuse yourself..?
    It's not the end of the world to carry on as I have for some years, but it's a bit of a fiddle getting to 2.245 by adjusting die for every round loaded due to case and bullet length differences.
    I'm thinking that using a comparator gauge will be a lot easier loading.

Also, I enjoy the reloading part of shooting, getting as good a round as possible.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    223 C.O.L is 2.260", I've always loaded to 2.245" and that depth has and still works, I used the comparator as bullets and cases vary, and getting to 2.245" on every round was a pain, so thought I could tighten up even more and stop the fiddling round loading to C.O.L.

If you’ve measure with the comparator and it’s giving you 2.260 to the lands then your load of 2.245 is 15 thou off the lands and gives you sub MOA results at 100 yds which is good.
    You could try moving 5thou either way and see what that does to the group sizes.
    I’ve found that some bullets (VLD types) do ‘hang’ out the case & I don’t tend to use them for that reason or set them back .

Hope this helps
    Thanks, I've found that also with the VLD bullets too, but problem is that the comparator is showing that all types of bullets hanging out of case or not even in the case!
    It must be that the throat is eroded I think, but rounds are still performing very well.

I wouldnt worry about it. I bought a new Mossberg in 5.56/223 and it was cavernous chamber length wise.
    A 69gn smk would barely have any of it in the case. Only the 75/77gn bullets would seat "properly".
    I just loaded the 69gn to fit the mag and the gun shot well to a 1000yds.