Thread: Do open sights add value?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Do open sights add value?

Hi all,

Just wondered if having the open sights on a rifle add value, my Viscount I've just bought didn't have any and to replace them will probably cost a pretty penny, so is it worth spending out to replace them?
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Sights

No you will never recover the full cost. But yes open sights make the gun complete so does add value.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Yes, I agree with the above. If you know you'll never need to use the opens, don't panic, Pete. But it might be worth keeping an eye out for any reasonably priced secondhand ones becoming available. Don't "Trackerise" it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

agree they do look nice with the open sights fitted

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yes, I agree with the above. If you know you'll never need to use the opens, don't panic, Pete. But it might be worth keeping an eye out for any reasonably priced secondhand ones becoming available. Don't "Trackerise" it.
    Don't worry Tone, that momentary lapse of reason has passed and the long barrel us actually growing on me.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondered if having the open sights on a rifle add value, my Viscount I've just bought didn't have any and to replace them will probably cost a pretty penny, so is it worth spending out to replace them?

It depends why you want the gun. If its because you always wanted one and intend to keep it for ever then I'd say get some sights on it to make it complete. If just a passing fad the just use it till you get fed up or the next thing comes along and move it on then don't bother. The lack of open sights should of been reflected in the purchase price anyway.
    Last edited by maximus; 08-02-2023 at 10:45 AM.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I wont buy a gun that does not have or cannot be easily fitted with open sights, I prefer to have both open and scope/red dot on my gear.

From a point of value, an older gun missing it's original open sights should be a reasonable bit cheaper than a complete one, bearing in mind the open sights arent always available and seem to command high prices.. should you wish to obtain them later, I'd allow between £30-60 as an average to locate a set, however some may be even more, do your research before you commit

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Don't worry Tone, that momentary lapse of reason has passed and the long barrel us actually growing on me.
    Good to hear.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!