Thread: Pellet Sizing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My .22 Hatsan AT44 10 had a really tight choke and was
    seriously inaccurate.
    I machined 1/2" off the end and it ended up as accurate
    as my S400 in a shootout, so i sold the 400 and kept the Hatsan...still have it.
    I also use a 4.51 sizer on Crosman ammo for my TX and
    matches the JSB accuracy at 25m.
    5.50 sizer..?.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Can you buy different pellet sizers so a tin of pellets can be sized up to 5.56 for vintage air guns or sized down etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Can you buy different pellet sizers so a tin of pellets can be sized up to 5.56 for vintage air guns or sized down etc.
    You cannot size up, only down.

Jimmy,
    there are pellet sizers on the bay, only £9.50, buy one or two & try them, 5.50-5.51 or whatever & you'll get your answers.

I haven't ever had the need, but these might be well worth a look? Available in different sizes.

https://www..com/store/tbt-22-pellet-sizer/
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Sorry folks; I'm not sure if that link is working correctly?

The link is to the Tinbum Tuning site where he offers a range of sizers in different sizes.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

The pellet sizes given on the tin and the actual measured dimensions of the pellets therein, have a very dubious relationship.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    You cannot size up, only down.
    BSA made a sizer that was designed to size pellets skirts up, I sold one on here awhile back and that gave me a idea to improvise and make up one of my own
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    BSA made a sizer that was designed to size pellets skirts up, I sold one on here awhile back and that gave me a idea to improvise and make up one of my own
    You can spread a skirt, but unless I'm mistaken pellet sizes on a tin are the Head sizes,
    I suppose you could flatten the face so they spread but ruins the pellet profile before you start

You can spread a skirt, but unless I'm mistaken pellet sizes on a tin are the Head sizes,
    I suppose you could flatten the face so they spread but ruins the pellet profile before you start
    You are correct what you say, but beware that if you are buying any JSB made pellet (inc. AA pellets) the size on the tin has no relationship to the pellets in it. It is a marketing ploy.
    I have measured lots of JSB and AA pellets and they are very rarely what the head size on the tin says.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 21-05-2022 at 10:18 AM.
    BASC

If you had a profile former of the pellet you wouldn't damage the front profile of the point but you would have to support the base and skirt with another matched former, near re swaging the pellet.

Would be all very well recommending different brands of pellets because as already mentioned particularly with JSBs the head sizes on the tin refer to the die rather than what's in it.
    Are you sure it's the choke and not clipping?

Re=sizing may help with fine tuning, but the problem will always be the choke.
    Options would vary from getting the choke polished out (slow and time consuming) to getting it chopped.

I've had two FACs a Superten and a Rapid with tight chokes, the Rapid was 5.39mm in the grooves of the choke .
    Both shot very well with Crossman Premiers and latterly Logun Penetrators, two pellets made from a harder lead alloy and skirts with smaller contact area that didn't shred in the choke.

Offchance its simply a case of finding a pellet but I think these are basically Loguns...if they are in stock

http://www.nmproducts.uk/armex-airst...ins-tub-of-400
    https://www.henrykrank.com/armex-air...-450-pellet91/

First pic a '5.51' Exact and the offending choke

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    My .22 Hatsan AT44 10 had a really tight choke and was
    seriously inaccurate.
    I machined 1/2" off the end and it ended up as accurate
    as my S400 in a shootout, so i sold the 400 and kept the Hatsan...still have it.
    I also use a 4.51 sizer on Crosman ammo for my TX and
    matches the JSB accuracy at 25m.
    5.50 sizer..?.
    I hadn't considered shortening the barrel, I don't have the facilities to do that, but thanks for the info, it may come to that.