Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pellet head size

pellet head size

pellet head size, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 etc. do you think it makes a real difference??
    mick.

Like most things,it's horses for courses some barrels it will make a big difference others not at all, especially those that are choked like some of the Walthers are. Before spending any money on diff head sizes I would push a pellet through the barrel to see if there is a tight spot at the end. I.e choked, if so, it won't makes much of a difference.

Just my 2p worth

Bongo

Yes in some barrels it can make a huge difference, in others not very much.

Just like sometimes different batches of the same size make a huge difference.

Are you talking about the sizes on JSB pellets by any chance? If you are the sizes on the labels underneath, have nothing to do with the pellets inside the tin.
    I found this out by measuring many many pellets of Air arms, daystate and JSB ( all same maker) with a pellet gage, and coming to the conclusion that they stick any label on their tins.
    BASC

It can make a massive difference from my experience.

My main hunting generally seems to like 4.52s.

Switching from 4.52s to 4.51s or 3s can turn single hole groups into 50 p size groups.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Yes, it can make a difference, as said. To accuracy, power, ease of loading, all three, any combination or none of them. Only testing in your individual gun(s) will give you the answer. And, as said, don't be trusting the label stating the size.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Yeah. Like weight, head size can vary a lot in a tin. However, decent pellets like JSB dont seem to have an issue.

But buy 4.51, the issue is the same re variation in head size but they all have bad trajectory?

It sometimes comes down to an individual die as well.

Its a weird science. Its like making tiles. Each bake is different in shade and texture. Thats why they have codes for each. Sometimes you cant tell but more often, they can stand out like a flashing beacon
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Are you talking about the sizes on JSB pellets by any chance? If you are the sizes on the labels under the tin , have nothing to do with the pellets inside the tin.
    I found this out by measuring many many pellets of Air arms, daystate and JSB ( all same maker) with a pellet gage, and coming to the conclusion that they stick any label on their tins.
    This has been the subject of many threads ( and will be again!). Many of us have found out that the size stated on the tin is absolute rowlocks.

I've never asked for a particular head size when ordering or buying pellets, And never come across any gun I've owned that I've not been able to set the sights, I only ever use AA / JSB bisley magnums and now acquired a load of accupel only as they are cheap, These I'm yet to try, I've never come across a problem myself, Yet anyway,

I was told the size refers to the size of the die used to make them.
    Lots of variables after they are put into a tin then delivered/posted/chucked over gates in a parcel or rattled around in a car or pocket.
    My air arms performed better over the chrono with 4.52 than 4.51 as it happens though. Group size all depends on me unfortunately.
    Rust never sleeps !

Great thread
    just found out my Steyr loves 4.53.they are even a tight fit in the mag,45.2 pellets tend to be a looser fit and run the risk of falling out of the mag when inserting into the action.

Been proven by many a target shooter on another forum that the head size is total cobblers. My preferred pellet years ago was batch 46 2018 with a 4.52 headsize. I bought a large number of 46s from 2019 and they have a headsize of 4.53 and shoot exactly the same in both my Steyrs. People try a pellet, it groups well, says 4.53 on the tin and they think the barrel prefers 4.53s forever. The chap who did the extensive test found that the average size was actually closer to 4.50 for most batches of JSB he tried.

As ever the best advice is....find the best pellet for your gun that you can and then buy as many tins as you can afford. I currently have 750 tins on the way of a batch trialled by quite a few target shooters.

If anyone is looking for i decent batch i can recommend batch 33 from 2021. Out of the 15 batches we trialled we all thought this batch worked really well in all our rifles.

Edit..
    This might help a few out on here. The JSB batches we have found good in many different makes of rifle are.... batch 46 (any year), batch 54 (any year) and batch 33 2021
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Been proven by many a target shooter on another forum that the head size is total cobblers. My preferred pellet years ago was batch 46 2018 with a 4.52 headsize. I bought a large number of 46s from 2019 and they have a headsize of 4.53 and shoot exactly the same in both my Steyrs. People try a pellet, it groups well, says 4.53 on the tin and they think the barrel prefers 4.53s forever. The chap who did the extensive test found that the average size was actually closer to 4.50 for most batches of JSB he tried.

As ever the best advice is....find the best pellet for your gun that you can and then buy as many tins as you can afford. I currently have 750 tins on the way of a batch trialled by quite a few target shooters.

If anyone is looking for i decent batch i can recommend batch 33 from 2021. Out of the 15 batches we trialled we all thought this batch worked really well in all our rifles.

Edit..
    This might help a few out on here. The JSB batches we have found good in many different makes of rifle are.... batch 46 (any year), batch 54 (any year) and batch 33 2021
    Hi Chris,my point was that 4.53 pellets are a much tighter fit in my magazines and group tighter than the heavy jsb pellets I was using.the 4.53 pellets I’m using are daystate select which I don’t think you can obtain anymore 👍

garym is offline Outruns Death in his slippers
    Nice post, thanks.
    I've had a decent stock of batch 46. Now starting to get low.

A German buddy gave me a tin of batch 33 2021 to try. Definitely as good as batch 46.

G

As I understand it the numbers on the tin don't bear any relation to the actual pellets contained but every gun i have tried the various sizes in produces different results with each size so i just pick the best. I guess this can change when I buy new tins from another batch though!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer