I think Benjamin first popularised it in USA _

Guntrader has half the amount of rifles in 20 cal they often have, and the fact they are so rare second hand seems to suggest they must be increasing overall - year on year I imagine

I remember when Theoben did their experiments championing 20 cal too, in their early heyday. More energy retention downrange etc, nearly as flat as 177 at hunting ranges, nearly as big a hole as 22 .......

The increased quality of pellet manufacture of recent years has really helped all airgun calibres.

I'm not sure if HW make their own 20 cal barrels now, I'm sure at one stage they were bought in. I certainly had Anchutz barrelled Theobens in 177 that got leaded up fast and could have made me conclude 177 or Theobens were crap , if I was not more knowledgeable _

I wonder how much some poor barrels earlier on in UK 20 cal history have left shooters with an incorrect impression that's out of step with current situation _ or the reviews in magazines
Magazines which rely on advertisers, many of whom do not make airguns in 20 calibre _