Thread: Camper van living and airguns in Scotland.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Take a slingshot and practice with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Take a slingshot and practice with it.
    He beat me to it!
    Definitely this is the way to go, you can shoot a slingshot on public land and you can carry one everywhere you go.
    Depending on the frame and the bands they also make more power than airguns and are plenty accurate for hunting at short range.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    He beat me to it!
    Definitely this is the way to go, you can shoot a slingshot on public land and you can carry one everywhere you go.
    Depending on the frame and the bands they also make more power than airguns and are plenty accurate for hunting at short range.
    Sorry mate to beat you to it. Trouble is these day anything resembling a gun and you get a helicopter buzzing over your head. Trouble is even if you think you are out in the middle of nowhere, you can gurentee someone is watching you through a pair of binos bird watching, you can never tell, wouldn't take the risk. As with a sling shot very quite, easy to conceal and repair if you make your own and ammo is cheap. As for taking a rabbit for the pot, a head shot with a 10mm ball will despatch very easily, for more tips on accuracy watch Gamekeeper John videos on Youtube, you will be amazed accuracy, just needs practice.

Sorry mate to beat you to it. Trouble is these day anything resembling a gun and you get a helicopter buzzing over your head. Trouble is even if you think you are out in the middle of nowhere, you can gurentee someone is watching you through a pair of binos bird watching, you can never tell, wouldn't take the risk. As with a sling shot very quite, easy to conceal and repair if you make your own and ammo is cheap. As for taking a rabbit for the pot, a head shot with a 10mm ball will despatch very easily, for more tips on accuracy watch Gamekeeper John videos on Youtube, you will be amazed accuracy, just needs practice.
    When you know, you know.....

lots of good info thanks. unfortunately back when i was young and stupid iwas involved in a scrap and ended up doing a bt of time. ive just been on the link that Distantcamera posted and after reading it, i highly doubt i will be able to get a permit. so a new amendment to my plan is to keep my air rifle on me until i decide to head to scotland and then to post it to my son who can store it for me. im going to have a look into slingshots, ive only ever had one (a black widow) when i was around 10. in fact i still have it somewqhere . So a slingshot for Scotland it is, does anyone have any suggestions? i know there is a wide variety of makes of bands etc... so a bit of advice would be great.
    Thanks again!

There are loads of Youtube videos to help you get inspired to shooting these un estimated bits of kit. I had the barnet black widow sling shot but never had any success with it, i think most people did. But when i started looking into it i ended up making my own bands pouches etc. You can use bands or tubes. The forks can be made of wood steel from an old branch etc. Ways to shoot is the normal out stretched arm pouch to point on face or the albatross method both arms outstretched. Look for this guy, he is good. https://youtu.be/vcL0vnt3pgI you will find its a great sport and hobby to get into, its so basic a weapon and surprisingly very accurate when you master it.
    Last edited by BC312; 10-03-2023 at 11:52 PM.

There are loads of Youtube videos to help you get inspired to shooting these un estimated bits of kit. I had the barnet black widow sling shot but never had any success with it. But when i started looking into it i ended up making my own bands pouches etc. You can use bands or tubes. The forks can be made of wood steel from an old branch etc. Ways to shoot is the normal out stretched arm pouch to point on face or the albatross method both arms outstretched. Look for this guy, he is good. https://youtu.be/vcL0vnt3pgI you will find its a great sport and hobby to get into, its so basic a weapon and surprisingly very accurate when you master it.
    Great thanks, ill have a look over the weekend.