Thread: 777 and pyrodex

777 and pyrodex

Is it only Kranks insisting on an explosive ticket for plastic gunpowder or are other shops doing the same? I’ve not actually seen a police requirement.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Hodgdon 777 has now been reclassified as an explosive rather than a propellent due to changes in its constituents. Consequently, potential buyers must now hold an explosive certificate to acquire it. Here is a link to the Sussex Police website announcing the change which I would guess is repeated on other police licencing sites.

https://www.sussex.police.uk/advice/...-an-explosive/

You can still legally hold and use earlier 777 products prior to the announcement which are not affected by the change. The status of Pyrodex has not changed and remains classed as a propellant without the need for an explosive certificate to acquire. Although the licences are free, the storage updates requited still represent another hurdle to jump if you prefer to use substitutes rather than black powder. Another problem is that may dealers are now not stocking 777 due to its reclassification and consequent decrease in demand among previous users.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hodgdon 777 has now been reclassified as an explosive rather than a propellent due to changes in its constituents. Consequently, potential buyers must now hold an explosive certificate to acquire it. Here is a link to the Sussex Police website announcing the change which I would guess is repeated on other police licencing sites.

https://www.sussex.police.uk/advice/...-an-explosive/

You can still legally hold and use earlier 777 products prior to the announcement which are not affected by the change. The status of Pyrodex has not changed and remains classed as a propellant without the need for an explosive certificate to acquire. Although the licences are free, the storage updates requited still represent another hurdle to jump if you prefer to use substitutes rather than black powder. Another problem is that may dealers are now not stocking 777 due to its reclassification and consequent decrease in demand among previous users.

Brian
    I'm sure I have mentioned this before but I can't remember when.

Kranks are no longer allowed to store BP on the premises. If you are going for some you have to tell them the day before so they can have it there for you to collect it. If 777 has now come under the Explosive Regulations 2014 then all dealers will have to store the powder off the premises. it may be too expensive for some to do that or not practical.
    And, as you say, demand may have dropped off which is another reason for not going to the trouble of storing it somewhere.

Its another obstacle in our way!

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I'm sure I have mentioned this before but I can't remember when.

Kranks are no longer allowed to store BP on the premises. If you are going for some you have to tell them the day before so they can have it there for you to collect it. If 777 has now come under the Explosive Regulations 2014 then all dealers will have to store the powder off the premises. it may be too expensive for some to do that or not practical.
    And, as you say, demand may have dropped off which is another reason for not going to the trouble of storing it somewhere.

Its another obstacle in our way!
    Something of an over simplification.

Explosives in quantity must be kept in a registered explosives store. Dealers can choose to register their premises and will then be able to store explosives. Registration is not an onerous nor expensive process - a zealous FEO took to calculating how much nitro was contained in the ammunition holdings of the 6 clubs using our range and was using this to scale back each club's ammo holding to keep within the (15kg?) limit.

We registered the range as an explosive store (IIRC about £85 for three years) which then allowed up to 250 kg, and told him to do one.

Dealers might also face insurance complications and presumeably those located in city centres might find a registered explosive store more difficult.

None of this is new - only the re-classification of 777 as an explosive.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Something of an over simplification.

Explosives in quantity must be kept in a registered explosives store. Dealers can choose to register their premises and will then be able to store explosives. Registration is not an onerous nor expensive process - a zealous FEO took to calculating how much nitro was contained in the ammunition holdings of the 6 clubs using our range and was using this to scale back each club's ammo holding to keep within the (15kg?) limit.

We registered the range as an explosive store (IIRC about £85 for three years) which then allowed up to 250 kg, and told him to do one.

Dealers might also face insurance complications and presumeably those located in city centres might find a registered explosive store more difficult.

None of this is new - only the re-classification of 777 as an explosive.
    Kranks used to be able to store BP on the premises. They cannot do that anymore so something has changed apart from the re-classification of 777.

I'll ask them next time I go in.

You can still legally hold and use earlier 777 products prior to the announcement

thanx for the info

greenshoots

I ask mainly out of curiosity. Last year I was selling four or five bp boxes a month which suddenly leapt to 25 or so for a while. Something had to account for that sudden a change.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I ask mainly out of curiosity. Last year I was selling four or five bp boxes a month which suddenly leapt to 25 or so for a while. Something had to account for that sudden a change.

The formulation of 777 was changed and this caused it to be reclassified as an explosive.

AFAIK Pyrodex and the earlier formulation of 777 are not explosives.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I remember when I was an Rfd i was at krankies picking some stock up and seeing one of Zoran's daughter's decanting Black cat pyrotechnic black powder from a boxed plastic bag into those 1kg metal cans they used to sell it , And that was just through the door behind the counter.

the one you recently sold me looks very nice with a liberal coating of blo

greenshoots

Quote Originally Posted by Sharps1874 View Post

the one you recently sold me looks very nice with a liberal coating of blo

greenshoots
    I used to be able to get very nice oak veneered wood, but am lucky to get any half decent wood now. Sign of the times I suppose.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi