Thread: Webley rebel nearly there but odd issue.

Webley rebel nearly there but odd issue.

Hi everyone

I've been trying to sort a webley rebel for ages now and with much kind information and assistance for the good forum it's nearly there. But I have an odd issue with it now, so I've found out that too bigger valve to barrel seal causes the gun to blow air down the barrel whilst pumping it up.

But now I've got that sorted, so out of the stock it pumps and fires great, but once in the rear stock it fires or just let's air down the barrel again 😭

If I don't tighten the stock screw up and it's kinda loose it shoots ok but if tightened it fails.

I've not much idea why, has anyone any inspirational fix for this, as it's so close now.

Many thanks for any thoughts on what's causing it.

Atb

Must be touching or the stock screw pulling something out of line.
    Just a thought, is the stock screw too long.
    Try stock on with no screws.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Got to be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Yes thanks for the response, the stock screw is standard nothing is customized as far as the stock and bolts are concerned, so it's a bit strange. I'll look again today, from memory of yesterday with the screw out of the stock, it pumps OK. A thought on this is whether the trigger plate that holds the pin from firing isnt engaging properly, can this plate be adjusted or moved to stop slippage. Looking at it, it isnt worn but not sure it aligns fully to block the pin from slipping before the trigger is pulled. The reason I bring it up, is when I replaced the valve to barrel port seal, I've used a couple of different thicknesses, and I've noted that a thicker type allows for the firing pin to slip past the trigger plate.

So I'm wondering if tightening the stock down and the pump cylinder / trigger assembly may be allowing the valve pin to slip past the trigger plate.

Dunno, just a gut feeling really and it seems to have occurred when I tighten things up.

I'll look again tonight after work and I'll try your ideas and exhaust the possibilities. But does anyone know if the trigger plate can be moved/adjusted to stop the pin passing so easily.

Atb

It's fixed 👍 the trigger was slightly touching the stock when screwed in so if I pushed the trigger forward it wouldn't missfire. So some quick sanding and gentle tightening of screw, it's fixed, safe and working.

But again the power is down 😭 I think I could pump forever and it slowly increase in power. At 10 pumps I'm getting 360 ish fps at 16 grains. So not great, if I did 20 pumps I might be nearing 10ft/lb

I'll have to leave it for another day, but hopefully I'll get it around 10ftlb at some point.

Many thanks for the input and never had a trigger go off due to a ill fitting stock even if it was a fraction.

Atb

Had a problem with a rifle I bought and received with the stock removed, thought I had bought a "pup" only to find I over tightened the stock screw, has worked perfectly ever since, good luck with the power problem.

the stock screw screws into an insert that is screwed onto the grubscrew that screws into the valve so at a guess when you are tightening the screw it is acting on the valve
    on most of mine i fit a rear o ring to the valve to keep the valve balanced in the tube

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    the stock screw screws into an insert that is screwed onto the grubscrew that screws into the valve so at a guess when you are tightening the screw it is acting on the valve
    on most of mine i fit a rear o ring to the valve to keep the valve balanced in the tube
    Hi Ped great idea where do you locate the 2nd seal, as I agree the screw in bolt holder does seem to impact the balance and alignment of the pin 🤔 so that might help.

I'm still perplexed by the power issue. I used a 177 pump cylinder and pump valve on a 22 barrel and action assembly, as the 177 was giving out around 400fps, so I thought putting a 22 action on it would increase the ftlb but it hasn't at all. I'll look at the pump valve to see if there's any more play in that to increase the velocity, but it just does not seem to want to go over 400fps in any calibre.

Hopefully I'll get there in the end, I've learnt a lot about them but so frustrating as I've thrown hours on fixing it but just hitting a brick wall hard 🤣

Atb

Webley rebel nearly there but odd issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kash2001 View Post
    Hi Ped great idea where do you locate the 2nd seal, as I agree the screw in bolt holder does seem to impact the balance and alignment of the pin 🤔 so that might help.

I'm still perplexed by the power issue. I used a 177 pump cylinder and pump valve on a 22 barrel and action assembly, as the 177 was giving out around 400fps, so I thought putting a 22 action on it would increase the ftlb but it hasn't at all. I'll look at the pump valve to see if there's any more play in that to increase the velocity, but it just does not seem to want to go over 400fps in any calibre.

Hopefully I'll get there in the end, I've learnt a lot about them but so frustrating as I've thrown hours on fixing it but just hitting a brick wall hard 🤣

Atb
    Can you adjust the pump stroke on these like innova's & have you checked the pump head seal for wear? sounds like you have either or both of these problems to me.

i cut another o ring groove in the rear of the valve
    have you altered the piston blow off spring tension? ,they have an anti tamper pin but it isn't hard to get it out so you can adjust the blow off pressure