Thread: Springer set up is as much about preference as anything else

Springer set up is as much about preference as anything else

Some folks like it long and wirey, others shorter and stiffer !

Springer set up is not a case of this is right / wrong - but shooting preference _ and to appreciate what's what - a bit like favourite holiday destination - will have to have travelled a bit to draw ones own preferential conclusion !

Discuss (Argue and stamp your personal opinion that might be misread as)
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Short answer: I agree.
    Several years ago I was invited to try a rifle that had been 'tuned'; professionally I guess as the owner had paid for the work. I think it may have been a 97k. I shot it a couple of times and made encouraging remarks to the owner who quite clearly thought the rifle was the bees knees. Yet I thought it was terrible .. very snappy to shoot. Far too snappy for me. So I guess this was a good example answer relevant to your question.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Short answer: I agree.
    Several years ago I was invited to try a rifle that had been 'tuned'; professionally I guess as the owner had paid for the work. I think it may have been a 97k. I shot it a couple of times and made encouraging remarks to the owner who quite clearly thought the rifle was the bees knees. Yet I thought it was terrible .. very snappy to shoot. Far too snappy for me. So I guess this was a good example answer relevant to your question.

Cheers, Phil
    This used to happen all the time to me. Was always offered a go on a 'super tuned' rifle. Often they were for sale....
    Normally I was told 'best springer you will ever shoot' etc.
    On the whole I thought they were pretty awful. None of them ever swayed me away from my relatively standard TX

I shot a rifle a very competitive spring shooters rifle, he loves it - even he didn't know what had been done by his engineer friend

I hated it !

I do think this happens a lot - it's a bit like Marmite - who can say if it's a good or bad thing - it's taste dependant surely - ?

Every springer has its very own firing cycle, no two the same. Finely tuned, well run in, or harsh factory, all are different. And then there is the squidgy bit called the shooter.

I'd just say its seems light weight springers behave best shot standing unsupported. Heavy springers do tame all that physics going on and do better at the bench.
    Some designs are less trouble and more people can shoot them pretty well. Again heavier designs are easier to master. And then there are the triggers!

Lastly, part of the hobby is getting familiar with a springer and finding how to get the best out of it. There are a few ways to try. A good shot can get the most ropey of rifles to shoot nicely.
    Most springers are good enough to farmyard ranges. In truth farmyard ranges were what they were for. Some behave well enough to "hold it there" even further. Its all fun finding out. How far can you hit a polo mint, bottle top cap, consistently?

There's definitely a number of different ways a spring gun can be tuned, and it's a bit trial and error finding what suits you. It's one of the things I love about going to the boinger bash, there are a huge number of different springers there ranging from original spec to super tuned, and everything in between. Most folks are happy to let you shoot their different guns and explain what has or hasn't been done to them. It helped me better understand springers, tuning and what I prefer in a springer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    There's definitely a subjective element, e.g. fast, harsh, soft, whatever. Personal preference is absolutely a factor.

But there is also an objective element - too much recoil (e.g. a very heavy piston), harsh piston landing (too big a port, or too much bounce), too much muzzle flip, low efficiency (often caused by excessively low preload), etc.

So yes.. and no
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It does come down to what shot cycle the owner prefers.
    Consistant accuracy from the owner is still the main factor.

Quote Originally Posted by dearne75 View Post
    It does come down to what shot cycle the owner prefers.
    Consistant accuracy from the owner is still the main factor.
    And it stands to reason, humans being very different not just in technique, but in stature / physical strength that that will vary to each person, and to their taste / ability

As an illustration - I really don't get on with Pro Sports - plenty of folk do - it doesn't make either party right or wrong, or better / worse shooters etc ...

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Totally agree with the OP, which means there is not much to discuss
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    There's definitely a subjective element, e.g. fast, harsh, soft, whatever. Personal preference is absolutely a factor.

But there is also an objective element - too much recoil (e.g. a very heavy piston), harsh piston landing (too big a port, or too much bounce), too much muzzle flip, low efficiency (often caused by excessively low preload), etc.

So yes.. and no
    Agree. But many people might not be able to analyse the sequence / cause(s) of certain facets. A really harsh or very long and lazier feeling cycle is, obviously, easier to highlight for many.

The things that are more obviously apparent (and desirable to most of us) are a smooth cocking cycle with no grating / harsh sounds and a twang free firing cycle, to my mind.....Although a cynic might argue that these can be achieved by over-generous helpings of grease as opposed to what might be considered "tuning".

Warning.....many a previously happy gun has been wrecked / spoiled by amateur "tuning".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

If a rifle shoots nicely enough then leave alone.
    The better designs may just need a service once in a while, and be sparing with the molly and grease. That is as far as I go.

Those "deep" tuners can chase perfection to destruction. Occasionally they get their near on perfection. Inexperienced trying "deep" tuning may well end up with a pile of bits. But there is a hobby in trying.
    Steve Pope would never have found how to get the most out of a HW35 without trying. Those trials he took to HW77s and 80s. Much learnt can be found in modern Air Arms springers. All that work got some springers to be effective beyond farmyard ranges.
    I still think most springers really shouldn't be considered "beyond the farmyard" rifles. Those who want to try to make a rifle do better have fun with it, but do expect a challenge.

I had 35 springers at one time. Only a couple would I consider able for beyond the farmyard. Nicely tuned or just run in would generally give 7m more. Its lovely when you find one that: "really shoots"; but not absolutely necessary. Range is whatever you can hit a Polo mint at, then stalk to that range.