Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last pistol in my top 5 air pistols..thoughts please?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I get the respect/ liking for the FB Record but I don't think its a top drawer contender.
    To show the Original Model 6 and not have it in the top 5 seems controversial or a bit April Fools

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I get the respect/ liking for the FB Record but I don't think its a top drawer contender.
    To show the Original Model 6 and not have it in the top 5 seems controversial or a bit April Fools
    It may be controversial, but I’m afraid I find the Mod 6 pretty boring to shoot … obviously a very important and beautifully made pistol though.

Ok full disclosure: my first ever air pistol back in the day was an LP2…. Maybe that’s made me a bit bias!

It’s not going anywhere so just suggestions for the fifth contener please…

Cheers,
    Matt

I respect and, I think, understand your choices, even though I disagree with many of them.

I agree that the LP2 is one of the best really cheap guns ever made. You can actually do things like shoot consistent groups on target with it, and it doesn’t fall apart when you look at it. But top 5 material? Not so sure.

A “top 5” surely needs underlying criteria for decision. What’s the priority you put on value, accuracy, power, reliability, looks, build quality, finish, handling, influence on later designs, or on the sport in general?

I’m not hazarding a guess at a top 5, but I can see a strong case for the FWB65, the Senior, and one of the better CO2 single-shots. I’m with you on the 600. And I can personally make a case for the Diana 5 in all its versions over 70ish years as an excellent general purpose pistol.

This does show how different Matt and I may appreciate different attributes in pistols. Lol

Webley Hurricane (with Beeman target grips). Had one sold it
    FB Record LP2
    Crosman 600. Had one sold it
    FWB90 Had a 65 sold it

Crosman 150 must surely make the list. In fact that and a webley overlever (probably a senior) must surely be in any top five ever?

I think the Record is horrible personally … if the idea is cheap mass market toys I’d think the G10 had more of a claim.

I like concentric designs so would include an example of that. There may be a case for a hyscore but the abas is just nicer. Maybe an acvoke if the abas is too niche.

And I guess the crosman 600 has to make the list so that’s my five.
    Morally flawed

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    When it comes to my favourite air pistols I find it difficult to separate the collectable aspect from shootability. But if I turn the question on its head, and ask myself what are my least liked air pistols, from both quality and shootability viewpoints, there are only two clear 'winners' for me.

Both are examples of German design and engineering, so our Prussian friends do occasionally hit a low point.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    When it comes to my favourite air pistols I find it difficult to separate the collectable aspect from shootability. But if I turn the question on its head, and ask myself what are my least liked air pistols, from both quality and shootability viewpoints, there are only two clear 'winners' for me.

Both are examples of German design and engineering, so our Prussian friends do occasionally hit a low point.

Those grips look like they’ve been cut out of a floorboard by an apprentice
    Morally flawed

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Well normally Id include a Bsa Scorpion in .22 ------------bloody fun plinking pistols

But I thinK IJ's list is

Webley Junior
    Webley Senior
    Webley Premier
    Webley Tempest
    Webley Hurricane

And I think he'd have a MK1 and a Typhoon hovering on the fringes
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Those grips look like they’ve been cut out of a floorboard by an apprentice
    They are the best bits.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    rather than do a top 5, I'd do a top pistol for each criteria

E.g.
    fun: Crosman 600
    bringing new shooters into the sport: tempest/senior
    accuracy: FWB 65/90/giss
    engineering quailty: whichever one did get the accuracy prize
    design: tbc
    power: BSA scorpion
    all rounder: tbc

You get the idea.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    It may be controversial, but I’m afraid I find the Mod 6 pretty boring to shoot … obviously a very important and beautifully made pistol though.

Ok full disclosure: my first ever air pistol back in the day was an LP2…. Maybe that’s made me a bit bias!

It’s not going anywhere so just suggestions for the fifth contener please…

Cheers,
    Matt
    Ah, I see. Ill play it safe and go with my own list.
    FWB 80, Walther LP53, O6, O5, FB Record Jumbo Deluxe.
    Honourable mention to the Gamo Center and the Lov 21.

No FWB 109,102 or 103 ?

Sadly no 102.

p.s. None will be at Adlington on the 16th.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Ian …

You win

Obviously it’s a personal thing…
    I’m not suggesting for a minute that it’s a ‘definitive top 5 air pistols ever’.. It’s just my personal top 5..and each to their own.

Admittedly my choices put a lot of importance on the experience of shooting them, but wasn’t that were they were designed for in the first place? I know it’s not the be all and end all….

Having said that I do have a FWB100, and it’s amazing to shoot and extremely well made, but it’s not in my top 5. The 90 I find a bit more versatile.

I can see the merits of the Senior over the LP53, being the pinnacle of Airpistol craftsmanship and finishing

Cheers,
    Matt