Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: HW35 Export?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Isn't that what the HW55 was all about; a paper puncher?
    For those who couldn't afford the Original 66.

I shot one of my best 6m/10m? cards with a 66, many moons ago.
    HW55 and Diana 66 both lovely. I have one of the former, not the latter. When I've tried them at Boinger Bash meets I've found them delightfully spooky......you know all that stuff is going on inside and yet there's no give away externally. Lovely little things.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I fitted a new piston and breech seal today, removed 1 1/2 coils off the spring and it did a ten shot string: 572-576 fos, average 11.67 ft/lb.

It is super smooth to shoot and seems very accurate at 50m (small flower heads). More testing will follow on a calmer day, but I think it's yet another keeper.

One little thing....... What's the point of the thumb catch? Unless it is adjustable it seems to serve no purpoe as the barrel slips past it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I got one last year with a diopter. It was a new one, in .177 and I short stroked it. A good friend and ex AGW writer has it now, his son is using it at our club's junior range. It would certainly look the part, but in .22 I don't know if it's really appropriate?

[IMG][/IMG]
    https://images.app.goo.gl/cgvt7sg4Yxd2crBY7
    Do you have any Chianti Nick?

Nice find Nick and definitely worth keeping. I have a HW35 Lexus, which I restored and added a synthetic piston seal to after making an adapter, it shoots beautifully, shame my eyes aren’t up to the open sights on it, but I can hit beer cans at 30 yards which brings back memories!

As for the stock, nice hand cut chequeriing, far better than the laser and machine cut stuff, even if they weren’t always finished to the edges. Sometimes they need tidying up with the chequering recut, but I know a bloke who can do that! 😉

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    Nice find Nick and definitely worth keeping. I have a HW35 Lexus, which I restored and added a synthetic piston seal to after making an adapter, it shoots beautifully, shame my eyes aren’t up to the open sights on it, but I can hit beer cans at 30 yards which brings back memories!

As for the stock, nice hand cut chequeriing, far better than the laser and machine cut stuff, even if they weren’t always finished to the edges. Sometimes they need tidying up with the chequering recut, but I know a bloke who can do that! 😉
    I was looking at the stock earlier, it is the only bit that lets it down now. Those CS stocks you did for my 99's are stunning, I might take you up on that

I was looking at the stock earlier, it is the only bit that lets it down now. Those CS stocks you did for my 99's are stunning, I might take you up on that
    More than happy to recut the chequering Nick and oil the stock for you.

I fitted a new piston and breech seal today, removed 1 1/2 coils off the spring and it did a ten shot string: 572-576 fos, average 11.67 ft/lb.

It is super smooth to shoot and seems very accurate at 50m (small flower heads). More testing will follow on a calmer day, but I think it's yet another keeper.

One little thing....... What's the point of the thumb catch? Unless it is adjustable it seems to serve no purpoe as the barrel slips past it easily.
    Yay!

Oh joy of joys, Nick's finally fallen for the charms of this lovely classic.. You've taken your time chap, but welcome to the party!. Impressive output, consistency and accuracy there, sir.

Re the barrel latch, either pop a new spring in it after having cleaned and lubed the latch and its channel, or add a little preload.. I've heard Uncle Mick has found a RWS Hobby (.22?) to be an ideal fit.

Get the stock finished to your liking, keep and enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yay!

Oh joy of joys, Nick's finally fallen for the charms of this lovely classic.. You've taken your time chap, but welcome to the party!. Impressive output, consistency and accuracy there, sir.

Re the barrel latch, either pop a new spring in it after having cleaned and lubed the latch and its channel, or add a little preload.. I've heard Uncle Mick has found a RWS Hobby (.22?) to be an ideal fit.

Get the stock finished to your liking, keep and enjoy.
    I found when I fettled my 35K that H&N FT Trophy 5.53’s were a good fit and give the best accuracy and smallest FPS variation, closely followed by Falcon accuracy plus.

Norm

Hi Norm,

Yes, the FTTs in either of the main calibres are my go-to pellets in all the HWs that I've conducted pellet tests with. To be fair, though, in the main they don't seem to be pellet fussy and just about anything from H&N, RWS or JSB seem to give good results (certainly in lead format, anyway).

However, in terms of the above application I was referring to the use of a pellet as a "preload spacer" to the barrel latch spring.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi Norm,

Yes, the FTTs in either of the main calibres are my go-to pellets in all the HWs that I've conducted pellet tests with. To be fair, though, in the main they don't seem to be pellet fussy and just about anything from H&N, RWS or JSB seem to give good results (certainly in lead format, anyway).

However, in terms of the above application I was referring to the use of a pellet as a "preload spacer" to the barrel latch spring.
    Haha, sorry Tony I’ve just re-read your post and I see what you meant now, I blame the heat

Norm

Thumbs up

The 35 is my fave HW whether it's an Export, Standard or Luxus!

This one is a 1970 Venom tuned and blued 35 that came to me on an Export stock, Pretty sure it was a standard that was later put on to the E stock, I found this Luxus stock on facey marketplace before they bannewd sales!, The pics were really fuzzy like the ones on fleabay that are enough to tempt you but upon receiving the stuff, It's rubbish!!

This time I was pleasantly surprised as the stock was quite tasty!, I could recognise that it was a Luxus with the raised Monte Carlo comb and absence of finger grooves but couldn't tell how it actually looked!!

It has the O ring conversion and the spacers in the breech bloke yoke, I don't think they were fitted on the 1970 guns, It also has a nylon roller to stop the 'orrible 'Weihrauch Click' upon breaking the barrel open!

I only mentioned a few days ago on facey that Luke Jolly hit the bucket at Micks farm several times with this!, I couldn't even see it!

Here's another Luxus stock that I bought from IJ at Melbourne a few years ago!, It looks to have some nice grain below the stained finish, May have to remove it and see if I can let the grain shine!!

Another 35 but this doesn't mention HW, It says EUSTA in a horizontal diamond!

Another that I picked up pre gun sales ban on Facebook marketplace!!

A cheapo one from facey too, This was dead rough and was caked in grease!! (Still is rough but shoots smoothly now without the constant detonations!!)

I found this one on the old AGF in sales, It had been cammo'd a mile thick!, It took some shifting, The stock had been rubbed down and the tops of the diamonds in the chequering were flat, The panel in front of the trigger was partly gone, I cleaned out what I could with paint stripper and a brass wire brush but there's still paint in it!

At last count I had eight 35's, They're my fave 'Olde looking' HW

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

' Eight?' Young upstarts. 19 at the last count (the beggars breed ) including 6 Vixens with another on its way.

I once bought a s/h 'ball bag' '35 with a original ugly varnished stock.

With a bit of work I found this underneath.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Some seriously beautiful and desirable rifles up above, chaps.

I kept the best till last. Normay Vixen Export.

The '35 in all its guises is THE classic air rifle.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk