Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rekord trigger adjustment

Question Rekord trigger adjustment

Hello all,

Shooting the 77k on the week end at tawd, why the hell haven't i shot with this earlier? Lovely rifle.

But the rekord triggers 2nd stage is too light and I dropped a few points due to not being able to feel the 2nd stage. It is there, but just too light for a hunter comp. So i just need to add a bit of 2nd stage weight.

Can i do this, and if so, how?

Cheers lads.

lay the gun on its right side and insert a small screwdriver into the trigger guard hole and turn the adjustment screw clockwise in quarter turn increments.

this will increase the pull weight.

Paul Hudson Guest
    You can't really adjust the "weight" of the second stage independently. You can, however, adjust the amount of sear engagement to give more of a stop before the second stage lets go. To do this you need to take the action out of the stock and back off the adjuster in the lever that sticks out from the front of the trigger. On older triggers this is an Allen-headed grub screw. Later models are fitted with a Torx-headed grub screw.

Be warned. This adjustment is critical to the safe operation of the trigger! If you reduce the engagement too much, the rifle will fire as soon as you take the safety off.

It's easiest to do this adjustment with the trigger removed from the action. Cock the trigger and slide a paperclip through the holes in the top of the frame above the big lever that engages the piston rod. If you don't do this, it's possible to damage the surface of the guide where it meets the rollers on the trigger blade.

Look at the amount of sear engagement through the inspection hole at the back of the trigger frame as you gently pull the trigger. This will give you an idea about what is happening mechanically as you do the next bit.

Wind out the adjuster at the front of the trigger by no more than an 1/8 turn at a time. Keep resetting and trying the trigger until you're happy with the feel. Once you're happy with it, Loctite the adjuster into place and put the rifle back together.

If you're in any doubt about being able to do this - DON'T. Drop me a PM if you'd like me to take a look at the trigger for you .

Paul.

Very good advice from Paul. I'm more used to AirArms triggers, and I always have to remember with the Rekord trigger that anticlockwise adjustment increases sear engagement. (AA is clockwise.)

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    Very good advice from Paul. I'm more used to AirArms triggers, and I always have to remember with the Rekord trigger that anticlockwise adjustment increases sear engagement. (AA is clockwise.)

Gus
    not according to my hw35k owners manual!

Paul Hudson Guest
    Gus is correct Andy. Anticlockwise on the HWs. This screws OUT the adjuster and increases the distance that the trigger has to move in order to lift the sears - thus increasing the amount of sear engagement.

Paul.

Paul, thanks very much for the very thorough information there. Ill have a go at that, it sounds a lot more in depth than the AA triggers though.....

Thanks again.

this is what my hw35 manual says....once the pic has been approved
    Last edited by ikarma70; 25-06-2006 at 07:04 AM.

Paul Hudson Guest
    IIRC, the HW manuals don't cover the sear engagement, just the release weight...

No need to remove the action on an HW, its only the trigger guard that needs to be removed to get at the sear engagement adjuster. If you replace the trigger guard screws, with a few washers underneath to make up for the thickness of the missing trigger guard, you can then adjust and test fire the gun.

Or if you have a drill press you can drill a hole through the trigger guard and replace it. Then adjust it whenever you want.

That said, the Rekord trigger should rarely if ever need adjusting, once properly setup. They seem to come pretty well setup from the factory, mostly they only need re-doing if somebody else has been fiddling and didn't know what they were doing.

Paul Hudson Guest
    Not disagreeing with you supersonic - but by removing the action (and even the trigger) it's easier to actually "see" what's happening to the mechanism... It can save time to actually watch the amount of sear engagement instead of tweaking and test-firing blindly .

Paul.

then i bow to pauls knowledge

I agree Paul, yours is the technically correct method, and will also reveal if the trigger is faulty, or just out of adjustment.

If you do take the trigger unit out it is well worth soaking in solvent to remove all the heavy grease that HW seem to pack them with, dry it, then dip in a very light machine oil and let it drain off for a day or two. Adjusting it whilst removed from the action is the only realy safe method, since otherwise the gun has to be cocked to test the adjustments. However the second stage release will be a little heavier when replaced in the gun because the additional pressure of the mainspring force acting on the release lever is transmitted back to the sears.

However if you are lazy, I have found the following method easy and effective if only a little adjustment is needed:

SAFETY NOTE: never make any adjustments whilst the gun is cocked. The gun must always be uncocked (i.e. fired) before making an adjustment. Most of these adjustments can only be tested with the gun cocked, therefore you will need to have a safe backstop and a tin of pellets.

Don't try to cock or fire the action while removed from the stock. Many break barrels use the stock to guide the cocking linkage in a straight line, and can be damaged if you try to cock them without the action fitted. Even if they can be cocked withoud damaging them, it is still not a good idea.

FURTHER CAUTION: if you back off the sear engagement adjuster too far it may not be possible to fire the gun. You will then have to break the above rule and tighten it up a little at a time whilst keeping the loaded gun pointed at the safe backstop until you can release the trigger.

Remove trigger guard and replace screws using spacing washers (or modified trigger guard) so action is secure in stock.

Back off the preload screw (the big slotted user-adjustable one) all the way until the first stage is very light, but not floppy. This will allow you to feel the second stage release point and any slight creep more easily.

Back off the sear engagement screw a little, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn, this should give a lot of sear engagement.

Test fire the gun and note the second stage weight and possibly creep.

NB: because the preload screw has been backed off so far, the trigger will not automatically move forwards again if the first stage is taken up but the second stage not released. You will have to push it forwards yourself.

Tighten up the sear engagement screw a tiny bit, 1/8 turn or less at a time, to reduce the sear engagement.

Test fire again.

Keep making tiny adjustments to sear engagement until all creep is eliminated but the release is still firm and clean, breaking at perhaps 1-2 pounds pressure, no lighter. Then stop. Do not try to reduce sear engagement until release is very light, you will have overdone it and made the gun unsafe. The Rekord trigger is not designed to be adjusted down to the ounce range.

Now tighten up the preload screw until it has just enough pressure to push the trigger all the way forwards again when the first stage is taken up but then released without firing (gun has to be cocked whilst checking this). Now tighten it up about another half turn, but not much more.

Now you should have a trigger with a light but positive first stage, and an easily felt firm, creep-free second stage.

Do not over-tighten the preload screw hoping that it will make the trigger a bit heavier. It won't, the release is set purely by the second stage sear engagement. If you overdo the preload adjustment you may make the first stage so heavy that you can't properly feel the second stage.

As a final safety test, cock the gun, release the safety catch and whilst holding the gun vertically, well away from you, bang the butt of the gun down on a firm surface a few times as hard as you dare, to make sure the trigger can't be released by accidental knocks. Best not to put a pellet in it (esp. if working indoors ), if it does go off one dry-fire is not realy likely to damage it.

The Rekord trigger is wonderfully simple to adjust, once you understand it. Most other triggers are more difficult because the adjusters all interact with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic
    dip in a very light machine oil and let it drain off for a day or two.

SAFETY NOTE: Many break barrels use the stock to guide the cocking linkage in a straight line, and can be damaged if you try to cock them without the action fitted. Even if they can be cocked withoud damaging them, it is still not a good idea.

NB: because the preload screw has been backed off so far, the trigger will not automatically move forwards again if the first stage is taken up but the second stage not released. You will have to push it forwards yourself.

Keep making tiny adjustments to sear engagement until all creep is eliminated but the release is still firm and clean, breaking at perhaps 1-2 pounds pressure The Rekord trigger is not designed to be adjusted down to the ounce range.

Do not over-tighten the preload screw hoping that it will make the trigger a bit heavier. It won't , the release is set purely by the second stage sear engagement. If you overdo the preload adjustment you may make the first stage so heavy that you can't properly feel the second stage.

The Rekord trigger is wonderfully simple to adjust, once you understand it.

Paul- I hope you've been taking notes: you may be able to obtain copyright and put it in your guide.