Thread: Info On The Webley Eclipse Please

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Exclamation Info On The Webley Eclipse Please

Found this thread getting buried in the general section, so have copied it to this collectors bit as IMHO the originator (Gerry) is more likely to get helpful info here than there (if you see what I mean) I've p-m'd him that I have done this. Right then, here goes ... .

Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    just bought one . can anyone give me the pros and cons of this gun and where i can info/manual. thank you: Gerry

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi Gerry, is it a MkI or a MkII? If a MkI the end is like a big cast square block with a switch you slide forward to release the cocking lever. If a MkII, it will have a push-in button on the end of the cocking lever which locates neatly on to a pin in much the same way as on the HW77, HW97, BSA Superstar, and BSA Goldstar .

I have owned one of both types. For me the MkII is the superior of the two as (a) doesn't look like it has a matt black tobacco tin welded to the end of the barrel, and (b) the MkII has a small unscrewable circular thread 'keep' on the end of the barrel which once removed will let you fit a silencer .

Both mine were .177, and again the MkII gets the vote here as was/is much less jumpy than my MkI. Both are highly collectable these days tho, but do be careful if mounting a scope as the chamber on the Eclipse is made of alloy (not the usual steel) to keep the rifle's weight down, and so will crimp and buckle if you over tighten your mounts .

I wouldn't be without an Eclipse in my collection now however, be it MkI or MkII. Both are rare as hens teeth (especially in .177), and both pay a tribute to the once great Birmingham-made name of Webley & Scott (R.I.P). Am a bit of a British Brum made anorak to be honest (see signature), so any questions, feel free to p-m me .

ATB: Gareth W-B.

ps (added as of edit date below): forgot to say that this is a lift of my original answer to Gerry's original thread in the general section.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 28-02-2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: to ad post script info etc.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I have a Mk1 Eclipse in .177, and you can unscrew the end cap to fit a silencer. Lovely gun to shoot when given a good lubeing, I found mine dry as a bone direct from Webley. The silencers are still avaliable from Webley too.

Quote Originally Posted by tagnut69 View Post
    The silencers are still available from Webley too.
    Wow, this is an old thread (first posted eighteen months ago ). Good to see my "past posts" sticky still being of use . Webley as was went bust three years ago so am afraid I think you are mistaken, as the import company that bought the name of "Webley" from the liquidators to badge their Turkish imports with do not produce spares or components for old school British built Webleys. You may have seen some old stock in a shop however, or even some of the Whisperer silencers that are still in circulation as residue stocks of the 1980s/90s, but nothing has been produced for these for the best part of ten years now unfortunately . Atb: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 05-06-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: to ad that Whisperer silencers are available as residue stock only via certain dealers: eg Johnballs.

Quote Originally Posted by tagnut69 View Post
    I have a Mk1 Eclipse in .177, and you can unscrew the end cap to fit a silencer.
    Yes, this was a feature of the later MkIs following much customer criticism, but the first models were solid as was mine which was why I up-graded to the MkII (Gareth).

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Yes, this was a feature of the later MkIs following much customer criticism, but the first models were solid as was mine which was why I up-graded to the MkII (Gareth).
    There's a MKI on Micksguns with a MKII end cap/underlever catch fitted

Talking Eclipse silencer supply found!

Just recieved 24 hours after ordering an original Webley pro system eclipse specific silencer for £17:57. The service from this company is excellent, and the silencer is a perfect screw on fit for the mk2 in Webley packaging. Paid only for the 2-3 day delivery and it arrived the next day via City Link

http://www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk/produ...4F0EHYNg276BBB

Just picked up my first air rifle for nearly 20 years a mk2 Eclipse, gas rammed with an Apollo Japanese optic scope. Really pleased my brother used to have a mk1 BSA superstar which was great but the Webley looks even better.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyknott View Post
    Just recieved 24 hours after ordering an original Webley pro system eclipse specific silencer for £17:57. The service from this company is excellent, and the silencer is a perfect screw on fit for the mk2 in Webley packaging. Paid only for the 2-3 day delivery and it arrived the next day via City Link
    I was under the impression that following the VCR act that dealers could only send new silencers to RFDs.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I was under the impression that following the VCR act that dealers could only send new silencers to RFDs.

ATB
    Ian
    Spot on Ian, only RFDs can sell them brand new, and can only send them to another RFD for customer collection. Anything other than this is breaking the law, and is a criminal offence under the VCR and Firearms act .

Suggest trickyknott contacts the company in question, and warns them, so as to avoid any future ugliness. Going to lock this thread now then, to stop it coming back to haunt us further. Atb: G.