Thread: webley eclipse

gerry Guest

webley eclipse

just bought one . can anyone give me the pros and cons of this gun and where i can info/manual. thank you
    gerry

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    just bought one . can anyone give me the pros and cons of this gun and where i can info/manual. thank you
    gerry
    Hi Gerry, is it a MkI or a MkII? If a MkI the end is like a big cast square block with a switch you slide forward to release the cocking lever. If a MkII, it will have a push-in button on the end of the cocking lever which locates neatly on to a pin in much the same way as on the HW 77, HW97, BSA Superstar, and BSA Goldstar .

I have owned one of both types. For me the MkII is the superior of the two as (a) doesn't look like it has a matt black tobacco tin welded to the end of the barrel, and (b) the MkII has a small unscrewable circular thread 'keep' on the end of the barrel which once removed will let you fit a silencer .

Both mine were .177, and again the MkII gets the vote here as was/is much less jumpy than my MkI. Both are highly collectable these days, but do be careful if mounting a scope as the chamber on the Eclipse is made of alloy (not the usual steel) to keep the rifle's weight down, and so will crimp and buckle if you over tighten your mounts .

I wouldn't be without an Eclipse in my collection now however, be it MkI or MkII. Both are rare as hens teeth (especially in .177), and both pay tribute to the once great Birmingham-made name of Webley & Scott (R.I.P). Am a bit of a British Brum made anorak to be honest (see signature), so any questions, feel free to p-m me .

ATB: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 28-02-2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: to ad bit about being a bit on an anorak ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Smile Copied Across To Collectors Corner ...

As posts go down quicker here than an ice-cold pint of dry cider on a hot day, have copied this thread across to the collectors section, where (hopefully) it'll hang around on page one long enough for Gerry to get some viewpoints and answers than mine (have p-m'd Gerry accordingly ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

As Gareth says, don't over tighten the front stock screws either, they tap into the alloy.
    I put a gasram in mine, (bought from Gareth..! ) It's a great rifle.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I had one I sold to my Brother-in-law, carbine Mk2 in .177 with a gas ram
    fitted. Did phenomenal shot to shot numbers and I sold it, what a numpty.

The worst thing is it has been in his loft for a year, looked after but not shot
    and he won't sell it back to me

Nealsey
    I'm back.

Pros: Nice rifle.

Cons: HW77

That was about it when they were newly available.
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

michaeladkins Guest
    Pros - Probably the best balanced spring gun i have ever shot (ali cylinder) for standing shots - HIGH build quality and nice stock + decent trigger.

Cons - High recoil compared to its competition - 177s were a bit low on velocity compared to its competition.

michael

cons...alloy cylinder can be more affected by colder temperature.

gerry Guest
    as always this bbs is a mine of info. many thanks to all of you for thr input . its now side by side with my hw77 ill test it on sat [havent fired it yet] and let u all know how i get on,thanks again lads.
    gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    as always this bbs is a mine of info. many thanks to all of you for thr input . its now side by side with my hw77 ill test it on sat [havent fired it yet] and let u all know how i get on,thanks again lads.
    gerry
    for what its worth ...at about the same time i sold my eclipse i was also selling my supersport,i wish i kept the eclipse in light of webleys sad demise.