Thread: FX pump moisture filter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FX pump moisture filter?

Hello all,

Im new here, new to airgunning and have just joined up at a near local club. Id ask the blokes at the club but I can't make it in this week so I need to ask a breif question.

I understand that moisture filters on stirrup pumps are very important. I have an FX pump, not sure what model but I can't seem to find any moisture filters compatable with it. Could anyone please provide me with a link to a website that sells moisture filters for FX pumps.

Thanks,

J.Sharp.

Common guys I just need a real quick answer.

-where can I get an fx pump moisture filter on the internet?
    -how effective are they?

Hi

I've no idea where to get one although JSR might do one. But my pump already came with one, actually 2.

There just 2 big brass bits on the filler hose, big one that rattles is about 2 inches by 3/4 inch and the small one is 1 inch by 1/2 inch.

I think the big one is moisture and the small one is for particles.

Hope this helps
    Pete

Do all the models come with the double filter? Im wondering now whether Iv been conned out of £100 odd quid or not n should march up back to ch westons.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp88 View Post
    I understand that moisture filters on stirrup pumps are very important. I have an FX pump, not sure what model but I can't seem to find any moisture filters compatable with it.
    The FX pump already has a moisture trap built into into the base. There is a chamber filled with small glass beads. When you compress humid air the water vapour condenses out into liquid water. The glass beads provide a lot of surface area for this condensation to settle on. It then trickles down to the bottom of the cavity, and when you open the bleed screw it gets blasted out.

The Hills pump has a similar system, using a porous filter instead of the glass beads.

Both systems are perfectly effective and there is absolutely no need for add-on filters or "drypacks" etc.

The act of compressing the air in the pump causes the water to condense out in the trap. By the time the air has reached the cylinder of the gun it has expanded somewhat, so the relative humidity drops to a safe level. You will not get liquid water inside your gun unless you allow the water trap to fill up, or get clogged up with e.g. grease from lubricant on the pistons.

To be safe, bleed the hose every hundred pumps or so. In normal use the trap will never fill since it gets emptied every time you bleed the hose before disconnecting, unless you are e.g. filling a large buddy bottle and don't drain it periodically.

The service kit includes replacement glass beads. If the pump is S/H its worth getting a service kit anyway so you have it to hand if/when the seals need replacing. Take a look at the beads in the trap, and if they are gunged up with grease, replace them.

Mine dosnt have any chunky brass bit at the begginning of the hose. I think Im gonna go back down to the gun shop in town tommorow n have them check it out.

Hiya

Just took a quick photo so you can see what I'm talking about.

When I've been using it moisture does get caught in the bottom of the pump as I can hear it when I bleed the pump. Never seen any liquid though.

Other bits I'm talking about are at the end of the pipe behind the fill adapter.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sharp88 View Post
    Mine dosnt have any chunky brass bit at the begginning of the hose. I think Im gonna go back down to the gun shop in town tommorow n have them check it out.
    Check what out ?

FX pumps don't have external filters. Neither do Hills. They don't need them.

Hills came up with the add-on drypack to cast FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) into the minds of other pump users, make more money and carry on selling the granules to put in it every few months. Nice trick. And they can't possibly work because they only filter the incoming air and remove only "up to 90% of the moisture content prior to charging your PCP"

Not even "at least 90%", only "up to 90%".

So by the time your pump has compressed this atmospheric air with "up to 90%" of the moisture removed, by 200 times, the moisture will absolutely definitely condense out again.

Just rely on the effective moisture trap, and don't worry.

FX didn't bother to respond to this very silly FUD ploy. They know their pumps are good. ISTR AGS/Logun sold add-on filters to worried punters, but quite what they do beyond the already adequate built in traps I can't imagine. Its not like there is anything inside them which actively removes moisture. If there was it would have to be regularly replaced a-la Hills drypack.

Bump an old thread.

Anyone know where i could order a fx moisture filter?
    That small one that is behind the filling bolt that fit one cleaning pellets.
    Or that big one someone mount on the pump that fit around 5 cleaning pellets?
    Last edited by Hotwheel; 22-06-2016 at 03:35 PM.