Thread: Air Arms Shamal

Arrow Air Arms Shamal

Hi all

A chap joined the club today that had just bought an air arms shamal in .177 cal.It was a bit rough to say the least , then again he got it cheap

It was only putting out 5.5 ft lbs so we suggested a service by air arms

Anyway I have used these rifles before and although rather heavy I really like them infact the one a friend has really is as accurate as you can get with an air rifle but it has been tweaked . Am I right in thinking Nick Jenkinson had something to do with these ??? Also IIRC they were designed to be a full power rifle OR could this chaps rifle be a target version ???

I also recall these being used for FT or am I totally delusional .... as usual ?

many thanks

Dave
    Last edited by Kingplinker; 16-12-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: I have the spelling of a 3 year old . lol
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

The Shamal was AA's first pcp rifle first seen around 1987 in prototype then production from early 1998.

They were indeed used for FT and could be considered the rifle that really kick started the shift to pcp in the sport.

They were offered in two stock styles - a sporter available in beech or walnut:
    http://www.airrifle.co.za/picture.ph...&pictureid=937

and a target style stock with adjustable cheekpiece and butt pad:
    http://www.airrifle.co.za/picture.ph...&pictureid=933

Nick Jenkinson's involvement with the rifle came through his winning one then going on to win just about everything he turned up to.

They were indeed designed to be full power, I have not heard of a 10m target version, but that isn't to say one wasn't converted for that use.

Example of a custom Shamal with shortened action, regulated and custom FT stock, believed to be from Dave Welham Airmasters88:
    http://www.airrifle.co.za/picture.ph...&pictureid=924

Thanks Dale , fantastic advise as always !

It looks like he has the standard stock which has been modified with a cheek piece , sadly the cheek piece has been re attached with a different piece of beech and the grain doesn't match

It also looks to me to have the old whisper silencer which is in two parts , it is very quiet but then again I didn't expect too much of a crack from a rifle pushing five and a half foot pounds . lol

thanks again

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

The Shamal was the forerunner to the 100 series.
    There were several variants, some regged some not.
    The ones I remember were...
    SM100, TM100, XM100 and the nicest looking one was the NJR100.
    I am sure someone will know what the letters stand for, I think the NJR was for Nick Jenkinson Regulated ??
    Paul.

Air Arms 100 series variants:

NJR = Nick Jenkinson Replica as the stock was a copy of Nicks design

TM - walnut target stock, regulated

XM - walnut sporter stock

SM - beech sporter stock
    Last edited by rockdrill; 19-12-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Friend of mine had a regulator put in by Steve Wilkins at Ripley. Gave a load of shots and was v accurate. Think its still knocking around the village somewhere, apparently with a leak. Quite sad really. Maybe I should rescue it.

HMMM, Air Arms Shamal (Going all nostalgic and misty eyed) my frst PCP and serious FT rifle. Mine was bought new and came as a kit with a 12ltr ally cylinder, possibly the nicest looking beech stock i've seen on any airgun. Wish i still had it, the only gun i've regretted selling.
    "There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

Paul Salmon, a SWEFTA shooter has used a Shamal from new, and still knocks 'em over with monotonous regularity..! Mine is a standard, but you can fit a reg to improve the shot count, as they use a lot of air. You can also fit an Olympic trigger, but mine is pretty good. They are built like a brick ####**house, and unusual in that the hammer has an adjuster that allows you to alter the stroke.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Heres another question for all those in the know

How long is the standard barrel and cylinder ? Dids they just do the one size or was their a carbine version ?

many thanks

Dave

Shamal

As far as I know there was only the one length cylinder and no carbine version
    I have a Shamal that I bought new in 1987
    I had a Ripley Reg fitted which transformed the gun from 45 usuable shots to 110 shots all +/- 6 ft/sec
    Power when new was 11 ftlbs factory set but adjustable to well above legal limit by varying the hammer spring tension( by adjusting bolt at back of action)

Power with the reg. is 11.4 ftlbs on minimum setting but can be adjusted to very naughty levels for FAC holders again by hammer spring adjustment.
    They are quite a big rifle but have a superb, well engineered trigger that takes some beating and choked barrels .
    Mine has recently developed a slight leak from the exhaust valve seat but the seat is easily replaced (courtesy of Nick Murphy- Zenith)

Back in the 80's it was a consistent HW77 and Daystate PCP beater and won quite a few FT shoots with Superdomes and then later with Magnums.

All had walnut stocks and they came on the market at £460 including a huge 232Bar air bottle, guage and hose. A quality gun
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Example of a custom Shamal with shortened action, regulated and custom FT stock, believed to be from Dave Welham Airmasters88:
    http://www.airrifle.co.za/picture.ph...&pictureid=924
    Stock by John Welham

Rgds

Richard

Richard,

Many thanks for that - I had a suspicion that might have been the case.

Regards

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    and unusual in that the hammer has an adjuster that allows you to alter the stroke.
    Not that unusual at that time.

Daystate Huntsman Mk1 and 2 had adjustable stroke as did the Midas, CR94 and CR97. Titan Manitou's also had a degree of stroke adjustment and the AA 100 series were also stroke adjustable.

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    These rifles are well worth restoring. I had an XM in .22 and a TM in .177, wish I'd never sold them.