Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10m targets

Target Bunny - he did ask for a scaled 10m Air rifle target....which is exactly what I made him, and I don't see anyone else lining up to help - yes I agree it may be better to have a simplified version at that size, but as I said in my message above he can ask me to alter it to suit him....I'm not sure it deserved your comment, after all no one is forcing you to download it or any of the others.

Chill

Tom

Not wanting to get in the middle of you two and who asked for what, but 6yd targets aren't 10m targets scaled down.

many thanks to all those who've put time into providing on-line targets - i use them all the time in my garden & they've improved my shooting no end.

jc

OK - I've managed to find the dimensions for the N.R.S.A 6yd targets - all my 6yd targets, both air pistol & air rifle fully conform the the N.R.S.A dimensions.

The pistol targets are very, very similar in size - but the 6yd rifle target was indeed a way off....all fixed & smiles all round.

Scaling Targets

Tom Thumb & RobF
    Hi Guys,
    First Tom Thumb. I am not disparaging your targets. They are perfectly good and shootable targets. Unfortunately, as RobF points out, six yard targets are not simply 10 metre targets scaled down and the reasons for this are what I was pointing out. Not that you have done a bad job, you have done a good job, but that simple scaling does not work.
    In fact you very quickly provided a fellow shooter with a useable resource and for that "WELL DONE"
    If you want to feature your stuff on TargetBunny I will be happy to put them in the "Your Contributions" page. Just be certain to get your copyright and identity on them before you send them.
    Keep up the good work.
    Regards
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Many thanks to Tom for such a quick respose and to all you guys who help us shooters out with targets and tips . I used the printed off air pistol 10 mtr targets cut to fit in front of the used originals and they worked a treat just needed the air rifle 6 yard fine tuned by Tom .

Quote Originally Posted by tom_thumb View Post
    OK - I've managed to find the dimensions for the N.R.S.A 6yd targets - all my 6yd targets, both air pistol & air rifle fully conform the the N.R.S.A dimensions.

The pistol targets are very, very similar in size - but the 6yd rifle target was indeed a way off....all fixed & smiles all round.
    Nice one

Good having these targets around for practice

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    For an accurate scaled 6 yard target go to http://www.ubc.btik.com/p_UBC_Targets.ikml
    This gets you an olympic target scaled down for 6 Yards and with enough space between the divisions for a .22 pellet to fit.
    Most of the other targets I see are simply reduced to whatever % makes them the right size overall. That is to say that a 25 Metre target is reduced to 0.24 of its original size. This means that even a .177 pellet can score on 3 different zones by landing in the middle of one zone and cutting the boundaries of those on either side of it.

Have fun
    Target Bunny
    I don't get this. For me, the objective of a 6yd target is to give me scores as close as possible to those that I would get at 10m. You could achieve this exactly if you used a precisely scaled 10m target (i.e. diameter of all rings mutiplied by 5.49/10) only if you used a pellet that was also proportionately smaller (i.e. you would need a 2.47mm pellet at 6yds). I'm pretty sure that my NSRA 6yd targets are proportioned exactly like this - I will get my ruler out and check. This means that 6yd shooting will always give higher scores that 10m shooting, even when using exactly proportional targets.

If you do what target bunny has done, and make the scoring zones wide enough that a pellet can fit inside (especially a .22 pellet!) then you're just inventing a completely different target rather than trying to give the same shooting experience at 6yds as at 10m.

I think!

U.

Quote Originally Posted by urban winter View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my NSRA 6yd targets are proportioned exactly like this - I will get my ruler out and check. This means that 6yd shooting will always give higher scores that 10m shooting, even when using exactly proportional targets.
    I think you need to check . The 9 ring on a 10m and 6yd are the same size (or as near as damn it). And i'm not so sure the outer rings are much if any different.

Yep, 6yd scores are higher than 10m. I shoot both, and have done for over a year. My PB in 10m until recently was 276 ex 300, whereas my 6yd PB was 296. My partner in crime has twice put in possibles of 300 ex 300 at 6yd, but only crossed 290 ex 300 perhaps once or twice.

The 6yd target doesn't score outside of a 5.

I find the challenge of 6yd is about not letting a mistake mean a 9, where as 10m I find is more about concentrating to get a 10. If I scored in and shot 10m like I do 6yd, i'd find 10m simple, and would be wondering what the fuss was about

There is a difference between a scaled 10m & a 6yd - but the difference is incredibly small. I've put them side by side in the picture below....I've also put a 5.5mm & a 4.5mm disc on each so you can see the ring sizes.

I think it also depends on what your purpose of shooting at 6yds is....if its to shoot 6yds as an event, then it makes sense to use the proper 6yd target - but if you're using it to practice for 10m in a smaller space, then perhaps it makes more sense to use a scaled 10m?....but as the image above shows, there is very little difference in it anyway.

they are pistol targets... apologies, I was talking about rifle... which these are below

this is a 10m rifle target

http://www.shootingwiki.org/images/t..._Air_Rifle.jpg

http://www.shootingwiki.org/index.ph..._10M_Air_Rifle

Here's the 6 yd and 10 yd at the same screen res...

6yd : http://www.nsra.co.uk/Shop2/Shop_htm...ets/imgv16.gif

10m : http://www.nsra.co.uk/Shop2/Shop_htm...ets/imgv13.gif

ah yes - they are quite different.

i'll be shooting 6yd tonight... if i remember i'll bring 10m & 6yd in and scan them.

one thing to remember though, is that these are almost definitely copyrighted...

Quote Originally Posted by tom_thumb View Post
    You can also download a 10m target from my site here:
    Download A4 targets

There are also a few different scaled sizes as well - the 10m one has 15 targets on a single sheet of A4.

Excellent thanks for the downloads

6 yard/ Scaled 10 Metre targets

Hi Tom and others.
    Thank you for illustrating the point Tom. (How DO you get this BBS to show graphics?) But even in your illustration it looks like the .177 is breaking 2 sets of dividing lines. This gives rise to the question "Does this target score Inwards, or Outwards"/ If it is Inwards (if you break the line you get the higher value points) you will always score higher on this target. However if it scores Outwards (Lower score) not only will you score lower but a bull will be celebration time.
    It does not matter which way you score it providing everyone uses the same method.
    However I feel a communication with the NSRA comming on.
    Regards
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!