Thread: Accuracy with Dampa Mounts??

Accuracy with Dampa Mounts??

I've had my TX SR for some time now, and while I've been relatively happy with the accuracy of the gun I had a niggling doubt that I was not getting enough out of it. A friend with a regular TX can shoot groups that are just as tight. Its scope is Dampa mounted.

Over to my Pro Elite - just got myself a Dampa for this, too. I fitted it, and while twiddling with the scope, I realised just how much movement in ALL planes, the dampa mount allows. I can push the scope hard over sideways around 2mm either side; and lift/push down on the objective for maybe 1-2mm (measured at the extended objective bell, it's a long target scope, not at the mount!).

In short, there seems to be quite a bit of compliance in the mount, also allowing for some twist. Of course the rubber should return the scope to the original position - but with some friction, etc, this may not be the case PRECISELY.

Has anyone any experience of a certain degree of inaccuracy due to the fitment of a Dampa?
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Only when the rubbers are worn/damaged and/or a too large/too heavy scope is used and/or the scope is fitted incorrectly (not balanced front-back).
    But I wouldn't use a dampa on any 12Ftp rifle. Not necessary, too expensive.
    ATB,
    yana

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    I use Dampa's on my Evo's and I haven't noticed any problems.
    If anything, I can shoot better groups with my Dampa-mounted Evo's than my non-Dampa-mounted TXHC's.

I thought the concept of the dampa-mount was to protect the scope from the shock of recoil. On an "SR" it shouldn't be necessary anyway, surely, what? Regards .... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Quote Originally Posted by Gungeek View Post
    I thought the concept of the dampa-mount was to protect the scope from the shock of recoil. On an "SR" it shouldn't be necessary anyway, surely, what? Regards .... Geek
    The SR has a funny movement apparently which can damage cheapo scopes.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungeek View Post
    On a sledge type recoil-less, like the SR, none of the "recoil" is absorbed by the shoulder, so its all concentrated into the scope, that's why you need a Dampamount. Opposing piston types, like the Whiscombe, or Park don't suffer from this problem.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Well, I stand summarily corrected. But, imagining the scope will aways return to exactly the same position after every shot, takes ... errrmmm .... blind faith. It's just one more thing to go wrong. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Was known as a scope wrecker at my club due to excessive use of spring guns but Hawke scopes and dampa mount have eliminated all that. Can't say I have noticed any innaccuracies due to dampamount with my HW98.

I have a TX200SR with a one piece mount - strange affair - very chunky with tightening screws on the rings accessed from "underneath" so to speak so top clamp is totally smooth. Not had any problems on accuracy or with scope.
    Steve
    Floccinaucinihilipilificator.

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Only when the rubbers are worn/damaged and/or a too large/too heavy scope is used and/or the scope is fitted incorrectly (not balanced front-back).
    But I wouldn't use a dampa on any 12Ftp rifle. Not necessary, too expensive.
    I don't live in 12ft/lb land whats that

However I am not sure that the scope's weight has much to do with it, at the time of recoil even the mount by itself would get a shaking due to the g-forces, effectively a scope's weight can "virtually" multiply by 10 times.

I think I will try an experiment. I will buy a barrel mounted laser and zero it to the crosshairs. Then I will shake and wiggle the scope about a number of times and check whether the crosshairs are back to zero.

At one time I had made my own Dampa but it was a hell of a lot stiffer than the Sportsmatch offering, nevertheless it looked after my scopes well even on my Diana 54, scope killer supreme. It eventually started looking tatty so I "de-damperised" it, maybe it's time to recommision...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I shot a TXSR for years with 2 piece sportsmatch mounts and a Tasco custom shop up top, never had a problem with scope damage or loss of zero and it was almost as accurate as my Pro Target.

Hi airtech,
    I think that as long as the dampened scope always returns to exactly the same position relative to the action/barrel after each shot, it hardly matters how much it moves upon discharge.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    ...as long as the dampened scope always returns to exactly the same position relative to the action/barrel after each shot...
    Well, that is the big "?"...

I had a dampa on my PE. The rifle was running around 23ftlb and would group 1/2" at 40yds with aa fields.
    Top groups jsb, bottom AA.

http://snap30.photobox.co.uk/8479741...65ab24cd77.jpg
    Last edited by stillair1; 22-01-2009 at 08:11 PM.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Might be worth checking that the bolts that hold the mounts together are tight enough. I had some come loose and the movement became excessive.

I had a dampamount on a TX a while ago and I began to form the suspicion that it was causing inaccuracy (can't remember why I thought so, now).

Anyway, I went back to solid mounts.

I've never made up my mind whether it was causing a problem or not - but as shooting contains a large element of psychology, if you think it's a problem it is!