Thread: Benelli Comfort

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    I take it your cycles the 24 ok? have you tried 21s through it?
    I have shot a total of 205 cartridges though mine now without any kind of malfunction.
    I took the barrel off today when i had finished shooting to clean the gun I looked down it and then put it back together, it was spotless.
    This is why i wanted a benelli
    I have 'put' a few (very few) 21gms cartridges through it; Eley Firsts (67.5mm) & Hull Comp X (65mm), both cycled as usual but this isn't any kind of definitive test. I have a dislike of the Eleys, dirty cartridges and they kick no less than the various 24gms I've used since day one. I've shot several hundred RC1 24gms No.7½/8's through my M2 without any malfunction, but since these are £16 per thousand more expensive than the Gamebore XLR's, I'll only buy them again if my local RFD runs out of the Gamebore shells. 28gms Eley Olympics (70mm cases) are good value round here, they work well. Certainly the Crio barrels don't seem to attract much filth and therefore take less cleaning, even so, the Eley cartridges make a mess. The other 24gms cartridge I've used is Lyalvale Express HV 1400fps (65mm case), these have a short, sharp recoil, probably why they worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Glad to hear your second gun is behaving.

It sounds like the first one was a lemon, but all the same, I wonder whether the Comfort system doesn't tend to accentuate a known cause of occasional malfunctions in the Benelli inertia system, namely a loose gun mount.

(Very) basically put: if there isn't enough resistance from the shooter's shoulder and the gun is allowed to recoil too freely there can be insufficient energy left in the system to cycle the mechanism. This can happen even with standard loads, so would presumably be more likely with light target loads, and more so when a significant amount of the gun's recoil is absorbed by the stock and butt pad.

This said, failures of this sort are ultimately down to the user being too quick on the trigger rather than the gun itself, and, for me at least, negligible compared to the benefits in ease-of cleaning, versatility, and handling offered by Benelli's designs.
    Very good point, several in fact. I'm sure my gun mount is at times inconsistent but the M2 'hasn't ever noticed.' I've had only one misfire, this was one of a pair of No.9 shot cartridges 'borrowed' from somebody and probably due to a reversed, damp or damaged primer cap. Regards ... Geek
    Last edited by Gungeek; 04-05-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C